Zeta Anecdote

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Zeta Anecdote

I was watching, I believe it was ep. 15 of Zeta and Amuro was sitting in a lounge on the Audhumla and there was a magazine on the table titled MSV. A Mobile Suit Variations in-joke?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
mcred23

Probably, little inside jokes like that are common and there are a number of them in Gundam (A supply crate saying "Bandai" in ZZ, somebody having "Tomino" on their jacket in F91, among others, I'm sure).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Dark Duel

Another example was Shinn in Destiny, reading a magazine that featured an add for H&MC's "Pride" single on the back cover.

Then there's the cameo appearance, in the last episode or so of G Gundam, of a wide variety of Gundams from other series, from the original to the Crossbone, and even Wing, which at the time that episode first aired in Japan, hadn't even had its own show aired yet (I've always wondered about that one).

Those sorts of funny little details abound in Gundam.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wedge14

If you look closely at the 'light bear' machine in the Argamma theres buttons for two real Japanese beers 'Asahi' and 'Sapporo'.

The boys in the AEUG know their beer.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Momaru

This remids me, what the heck was with that picture Fa finds in Axis? Was that a picture of Rosamias family? If so, she really did have a brother that oddly looked like Kamille?
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Nightwing03

There's also been one in Gundam 00 where you see a hotel named Hotel "Sunrise"
♣♦♠♥
mcred23

Dark Duel wrote:Then there's the cameo appearance, in the last episode or so of G Gundam, of a wide variety of Gundams from other series, from the original to the Crossbone, and even Wing, which at the time that episode first aired in Japan, hadn't even had its own show aired yet (I've always wondered about that one).
Wing was already well into production by the time of the last episode of G were done (IIRC, Wing began airing the week after G ended), so they doubtlessly had the design already created, hence the cameo (Of course, the color of it seen in G's final episodes is a bit different from the way it was in Wing).
Momaru wrote:This remids me, what the heck was with that picture Fa finds in Axis? Was that a picture of Rosamias family? If so, she really did have a brother that oddly looked like Kamille?
Off topic, but I don't think we were ever given the details of that (Unless it's in some book or source that only the Marks and three other random people on this board have access to), but it was probably just some edited picture or some Titan trickery of some sort.

Kenji

This remids me, what the heck was with that picture Fa finds in Axis? Was that a picture of Rosamias family? If so, she really did have a brother that oddly looked like Kamille?
It's never outright stated, but I believe it's implied that it's one of those insert pictures that come with frames... y'know, to show how well the frame will hold your family pictures. In other words, it's probably a picture of two models for advertising purposes.

Something similar came up in a certain movie starring Vince Vaugn (or was it D'Onofrio?), where he claims to be a time traveler... but that's way off topic...

Regarding the little references, I suppose it's better to put in a little staff humor for those times you need brand names and, judging from the way many anime titles handle it, you don't really want to use actual brand names. So, either make a self-referential joke to give the animation crew a light chuckle, or deform an existing brand and make them roll their eyes... :P
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Koshernova

One of my favourite in-jokes of this sort is in the first episode of Macross. When Hikaru is crash landing in the Valkyrie he can barely pilot, he tears through a number of buildings. One of them reads "Studio Nue", the studio that created the series. You can even see a little mascot whose expression becomes terrified as the building collapses.

I can't remember whether it was in Char's Counterattack or in Zeta that we see a close-up of the exterior wall of a colony, and "TOMINO" is displayed quite clearly.

And here is where I mention that no, sadly, "DANGAR" is not an in-joke -_-
mcred23

Kosh wrote:And here is where I mention that no, sadly, "DANGAR" is not an in-joke -_-
Nor was a certain letter sent from a Mr. S to a Mr. K during the that same series that said that a Mr. B was really Mr. A. :twisted:

Gotta love Zeta. :mrgreen:

Arsarcana

Little in-jokes are pretty common in anime (hell, half the dialogue in the Super Robot Wars franchise consists of nothing but in-jokes). Dancouga had beer can missiles and word-bubble explosions, Ideon had blatant Gundam references (fellow Tomino production, natch) and Evangelion had nods to Ideon and Nadia. You could probably fill up a fair-sized wiki on the subject.
turkishproverb

Arsarcana wrote:Little in-jokes are pretty common in anime (hell, half the dialogue in the Super Robot Wars franchise consists of nothing but in-jokes). Dancouga had beer can missiles and word-bubble explosions, Ideon had blatant Gundam references (fellow Tomino production, natch) and Evangelion had nods to Ideon and Nadia. You could probably fill up a fair-sized wiki on the subject.
In all fairness, Evangelion borrowed like 75-90% of it's concepts from those two shows.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I just saw another one in the episode where Four and Kamille are on that rooftop. KIRIN Beer is reflected backwards in the windows of a building.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

I was just watching episode 26 and I saw a funny in-joke. A piece of debris from a Gelgoog floats by the screen and there is a label on it that reads.

MADE IN SUNRISE
CU/LMT
OMAKE OF GROCO

What do you suppose that means, if anything?

--Freyja Wion
neolordmaxwell

Omake means 'extra', or 'bonus', so it's probably simply saying 'this is extreneous'.
valkyriepilot

Arsarcana wrote:....Dancouga had beer can missiles.....
oh yeah, i saw one in DYRL too, when Hikaru entered Bodolza's lair and he did an Itano Circus, one of the missiles he shoots is a beer can too :P