The Gunparade series

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Recon 5

The Gunparade series

I watched these quirky little pieces some time ago, and I must say that they're real gems, especially Gunparade Orchestra. I mean, you don't really get that many anime war stories in which hostilities don't conclude in the end, and there are equally few in which the protagonists actually learn to do things the right (i.e. generally accepted) way instead of turning everyone else round to their methods.

Even more unique is the fact that in both series (despite the more light- hearted nature of the second one) mankind is fighting a losing battle against forces that nobody can understand completely. In the end, (spoiler WARNING) They're STILL losing- life just goes on, though.

The CG may look a bit dated, but the action is fast- paced enough. Extreme gearheads might want to note that most of the focus is on the characters, so how stuff works is even more vague then in the SEED- verse.

Not everyone will like these series, I'm sure, but I sure did. They're slice- of- life shows- slices of wartime life, that is, and we don't get that very often.
V2

whoa. i didnt know there was an "orchestra" series...

strange. all fansubbers have either stalled or dropped it. was it that bad?
Ork_dreadnought

Erm, I'm sure there's forum rules about mentioning fansubs.

Well anyway, I wasn't that impressed. I had two questions. First, why the robots were piloted by actual high school kids when there were still adults around? And second, why the talking penguin?
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Recon 5

Well, from what I gather, all the adults who could pilot were piloting, or all the adult pilots had died and the only surviving grownups in the army were techs and those in command positions. In any case, I found it interesting that mech piloting was actually a major part of the high school curriculum as it just reemphasizes how desperate the situation was in terms of manpower. I do believe that in March, the kids who survived high school could go on to other things, though.

I didn't get the talking penguin either, but I regarded him as an author insert or narrator. In any case, he didn't do much else.