King Gainer and NewTypes

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

King Gainer and NewTypes

In episode 17 of Overman King Gainer, an enemy Overman uses an Over Skill to cause everyone to be able to read each other's minds. This resulted in conflict and lots of rock throwing. The pro-newtype argument that was usually thrown around is that if humanity all evolved into newtypes, we would be able to understand each other on a far deeper level akin to sharing our thoughts with one another. Could this ep of King Gainer be Tomino looking back and saying "Hm, it really wouldn't be too great if we all connected like that..."?

Or am I just thinking too much?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
padre

Considering the whole affair is largely played for laughs (and what laughs they are; poor Sarah), I don't think you should look into it too deeply.

Further, I wouldn't characterize Newtype-ness (technical term) as the same sort of phenomenon as the one we see in King Gainer. It's a much more esoteric and, if I may use the word, mystical sort of a thing.
Happiness is a warm gun.
Bang bang, shoot shoot.
flamingtroll

I wouldn't say it is beyond Tomino to put something like this into his shows, since the theme of mutual understanding is in quite a number of his non gundam shows as well. But I throught Tomino has already sort of "reject" Newtype-ness in V gundam.
Imperial

It's not a stretch to think the episode might be a bit satirical in nature. Turn A Gundam has a healthy dose of meta-awareness.

In fact, rumor has it that Tomino admitted, in hindsight, the Newtype theory was silly because it hinged on people outgrowing their nature. Of course, that's another one of those unsubstantiated claims you see floating around everywhere, so take it with a mound of salt.

But the point remains that he could very well be poking fun at himself. After all, we saw Tomino go from killing Quess off in CCA to sparing her life in Gundam Evolve 5. His shift in tone could also come with a shift in perspective to his old pet project.
This space for rent