Old School Anime That Ages Well and Why

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kavik Ryx

Also, CG doesn't age very well IMO. It often sticks out compared to hand drawn like tape does to film. It is somewhat obvious in SEED that the CG is a little obtrusive, but in other cases, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I remember seeing Endless Walz, and the asteroid that carried the Gundams was just an eyesore. With few exceptions, I think that hand drawn cells will always hold up better to CG. A New Translation was the one of the only times that I really loved the modern animation.
Recon 5

I think that the issue is what the CG is used for, not the use of CG itself. Rendered characters/ mecha (especially cell- shaded ones) still have a long way to go before they can blend seamlessly with hand drawings, but using CG to produce 'in- between' frames (with the key frames hand- drawn) allows for astounding smoothness and consistency while eliminating the distortion that plagues even the best of older series.

Series that are done entirely in CG also do not have the jarring effect of the 2d/ 3d combination.

Creative use of CG also can produce wonders. I'm not talking about 3d spell/ shot effects in 2d shows here, but stuff like Gankutsuou's dreamy Photoshop textures.
Gadget

Recon 5 wrote:
Creative use of CG also can produce wonders. I'm not talking about 3d spell/ shot effects in 2d shows here, but stuff like Gankutsuou's dreamy Photoshop textures.
Really weird visual. I dun really care is the fabric prints were design by Annie Sui herself.

How come no one mention Do-ra-mon. I know it's not the best thing around, but it does bring back childhood memories. Another series that I though still popular is Ranma 1/2.
Aegis

Ah, Doraemon. Always saw it dubbed in Chinese, but still amusing as a kid's show even after all this time. Even the theme song doesn't get old. ^^

I also have to agree that Macross: DYRL? is also amazing even after all these years, both in story and in animation. Even the music, including the BGMs, still works nicely up to now. I can also see the much later series, Macross Plus, hold that distinction after several more years as far as animation and music goes. Same with anything Miyzaki's works.
Kavik Ryx

Depending on where you draw the line between oldschool and modern, for me oldschool is everything pre Evangelion, Gundam F91 has aged really well. Heck, I would say that it probably looks as good now in 2007 as it did back in 1991. I know people don't think highly of the movie, myself excluded, but everything from the Gundam's motion to Cecily's hair is so near perfect.
Wingnut

Kavik Ryx wrote:Depending on where you draw the line between oldschool and modern, for me oldschool is everything pre Evangelion, Gundam F91 has aged really well. Heck, I would say that it probably looks as good now in 2007 as it did back in 1991. I know people don't think highly of the movie, myself excluded, but everything from the Gundam's motion to Cecily's hair is so near perfect.
True. Also keep in mind there that was a movie so the initial quality even back then was higher than normal for a TV series, or even an OVA.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kishiria

I kick it old-school. Right now I'm watching "Rose of Versailles" and it's wonderful. Really engaging plotline, art that's reminiscent of the later "Legend of the Galactic Heroes", lots of action. I try to go back and watch stuff from the 70s and 80s since I watched them raw Back In the Day and like to finally know what's going on!
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Gundamium Alloy

Back to Macross for a moment: I may have grown up with Robotech as a kid and loved it but now I'm not so sure I want Macross. Sure the version we saw on TV over 20 years ago was censored, but I never knew that until just recently when I starting reading about Macross. I know Macross is considered one of the greatest anime of all time but I still have my doubts. After reading some reviews it sounds like the series uses scenes containing nudity and silly references to it. Is this true? Anytime I've scene an anime have to use these silly scenes I am completely appalled. Why do so many shows that are otherwise great in terms of story have to be ruined with these ridiculous scenes? It's almost like the creators can't tell an intelligent story without them. So is Macross another one of those shows that can't tell the story without the realiance on ridiculous humor and nude scenes? So I guess I can't say Macross has aged well. I can say Robotech has becuse that is the version I saw. Sure a bit cheesy at times, but a lot of shows are from time to time. Even the music is still great sounding.
Hyakushiki

I remember Robotech had it's fair share of silly moments which I felt didn't detract much from the story. Macross/Robotech was equal parts drama, soap opera romance, and comedy if anything, the comedy highlights certain character aspects like the culture shock of the Zentradi or the awkwardness of Hikaru's/Rick Hunter's attempts at romance. Heck, one of the main plot points is that race of alien warriors could be entranced by the singing of a 16-year old pop idol enough that they stop fighting.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Chris
Administrator

Gundamium Alloy wrote:Back to Macross for a moment: I may have grown up with Robotech as a kid and loved it but now I'm not so sure I want Macross. Sure the version we saw on TV over 20 years ago was censored, but I never knew that until just recently when I starting reading about Macross. I know Macross is considered one of the greatest anime of all time but I still have my doubts. After reading some reviews it sounds like the series uses scenes containing nudity and silly references to it. Is this true? Anytime I've scene an anime have to use these silly scenes I am completely appalled. Why do so many shows that are otherwise great in terms of story have to be ruined with these ridiculous scenes? It's almost like the creators can't tell an intelligent story without them. So is Macross another one of those shows that can't tell the story without the realiance on ridiculous humor and nude scenes? So I guess I can't say Macross has aged well. I can say Robotech has becuse that is the version I saw. Sure a bit cheesy at times, but a lot of shows are from time to time. Even the music is still great sounding.
Honestly, everything you're saying is completely off the mark, and your concerns are completely misplaced. Macross is not some fanservice show with with tons of nudity to cover up bad storytelling. There's one damn scene where Hikaru is trying to peek on Minmay taking a shower, and that's it. You also really have no place to say that Macross hasn't aged well, mainly because you haven't seen it, but also because it's the basis for Robotech. How can a dubbed and edited version of an anime age well, but not the original? That doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. If you don't want to watch Macross because you have all these mistaken assumptions about the show, the loss is yours. But by the same token, don't make pronouncements about the show when it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
VF5SS

Robotech certainly has not aged as well as Macross. The synth orchestra soundtrack is really cheesy as is the old style of dubbing in where characters are constantly making noises in places where characters are not actually talking. Also there is excessive narration to fill in the scenes where no characters are present to do the talking. If anything, Robotech talks down to the audience. And for the record, Macross only has one partial nudity scene.
Gundamium Alloy

The last thing I wanted to say was anything negative about Macross. I just assumed it MAY have been a show that had fanservice from a couple of reviews I'd read that compared the differences between Robotech and Macross. The assumptions I made were obviously wrong and I apologize. The reviews were probably from ill informed individuals so I shouldn't have jumped to assumptions without first seeing the show. Thanks for clearing this up. Knowing now that the show does not contain the ridiculous content I had feared I very much anticipate picking up the show. Again, sorry for any misinformed assumptions.
Gadget

Some of the very old amine, (when we still call them cartoons) are classic. The animation may not be as good, but it's the story. I could think of
1. Astro boy. (Not the 2000 version)
2. Kimba, the White Lion. (The original Lion King)
3. Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, or Battle of the Planets. The Original sentai. (Hope they don't screw up the 2009 movie)

I'm not sure to include Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon did have lots of influence on J-pop culture. But as an amine, I do feel it's a bit jadded.
MrMarch

I agree that as poorly as SDF Macross has aged, it's Robotech counterpart is by far much worse. The try-hard trendy names of the characters ("Rick Hunter"? Please...), the synthesized soundtrack, the terribly chopped pacing and fractured editing, the ridiculously juvenile dub, et cetera.

Instead of being a classic of it's genre like the original SDF Macross, Robotech is a cautionary example of Americanized anime and the edits/music/dub make it a poster child for 1980's kitsch television. When I saw the original SDF Macross series for the first time as an adult, I was amazed at the sophistication for a children's animated show. When I re-watched Robotech for the first time as an adult, I was amazed how gaudy the show was.
Kavik Ryx

After watching the first six episodes of Macross, its age is very spotty. Like the original Gundam, it's still a timeless compelling story, but is shot down a little by shoddy animation and a few super robot undertones that just don't go away. So far, I have found Gundam to be a more timeless experience, though Macross's chacracterization is top notch and well done. Unfortunately, even compared to Gundam, its animation is borderline unacceptable at some points.
QuessParaya

If I were to go by storyline alone, I would say that Legend of Galactic Heroes has aged pretty well - considering it's as old as *I* am (25).
Recon 5

I guess how well an anime ages is entirely up to its fans. Many would argue that Robotech has aged well (Me? I don't even remember enough of it to make any judgment) simply because its the show that introduced them to anime- and is probably the only anime they've ever seriously watched.

Personally, in the whole Macross/ etc. universe, I'd say Mospeada is still my fave. I mean, how many shows have motorcycle power armor that was actually depicted that well (no Power Rangers nonsense, please, I know that one too)?
Aegis

Personally, I find SDF Macross itself to be the more timeless epic compared to MS Gundam. Aside from Macross being the newer series of the two, the mecha designs have a more modern feel to it, the plot and characters are quite top notch with alot less whininess (the absolute worst you get would be Minmay's obsession over Hikaru and Kaifun becoming an alcoholic jerk, to which I found Minmay to be more understandable, and Kaifun somehow doesn't grate me the way some of the other characters in Gundam does, kids notwithstanding), and the dialogue is far less chatty, mish mashed, and more relatable compared to Gundam and its tendency to talk a mile a minute. Even with Macross' shoddy animation in some of its latter episodes, the more mechanized designs would fit more in today's style as opposed to the super robot look of Gundam and its mobile suits. The parts of Macross that would've not really worked would be the intro/outro themes and the BGMs. That, and having an episode devoted to the Macross and its TRANSFORMATION (*echo-echo-echo-echo-echo*). o.O
MrMarch

Mobile Suit Gundam is definitely more important as a classic anime than Super Dimension Fortress Macross, even though I like Macross much more than Gundam. Gundam invented the real robot genre and it's likely Kawamori wouldn't have created Macross were he not so inspired by Gundam. However, I will agree that comparing mechanical designs, the VF-1 Valkyrie has aged a lot better than the RX-78-2 Gundam.
turkishproverb

MrMarch wrote:Mobile Suit Gundam is definitely more important as a classic anime than Super Dimension Fortress Macross, even though I like Macross much more than Gundam. Gundam invented the real robot genre and it's likely Kawamori wouldn't have created Macross were he not so inspired by Gundam. However, I will agree that comparing mechanical designs, the VF-1 Valkyrie has aged a lot better than the RX-78-2 Gundam.
Especially as they appear in the two shows. The gundam's revamps are a little better granted (See all the variants in MG form) but still fairly super roboty.

Frankly, I'd still like to see a remake of 0079. reinterpretations are fun, and that show, classic as it was, had some decent pacing issues.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.