Macross-Which version to buy?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gundamium Alloy

Macross-Which version to buy?

I remember watching Robotech as a kid and loved it. This is the series that started my interest in sci-fi shows. I then got hooked on Star Blazers and Gundam. Recently I noticed that you could pick up the entire Robotech collection for around $80. This includes the 3 series. I was wondering however about just Macross. There is the Animego version and the ADV version. Which version is the best to buy. Recommendations?
Chris
Administrator

I've never seen the ADV version of Macross (as I own the AnimEigo one), but every review says that the sound quality isn't as good as AnimEigo's. I would personally recommend the AnimEigo version. Although it's been out of print for years, Robotech.com has been selling off the remaining stock of AnimEigo's Macross, and you can get the whole series for $40. Given that I paid (and gladly did so) $250 for the same set 7 years ago, the series is beyond a steal at this price. Even though the ADV version has a dub, the price alone of the AnimEigo version makes it worthwhile.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hyakushiki

The ADV version is probably easier to find since the Animego version is out of print but the box sets still can be found online. In the ADV version Mari Ijima does Minmay's voice for both the English and Japanese audio tracks.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Albireo_818

I purchased the first volume of the ADV version, and, no, the sound isnt that great. However, since i dont have access to the animeigo version, i can't say
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
MrMarch

Animeigo's set of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series is ideal and at the prices ($40) you simply can't go wrong. ADV's Super Dimension Fortress Macross set is also good but not as good as the Animeigo set. The ADV set does however have a new dub if you're a dub fan. I'd definitely recommend both sets and encourage you to avoid the Robotech edit.
Kavik Ryx

I just saw ADV's first six episodes of Macross, and I can say that I liked it. Though I still find it interesting that Minmay's seiyu was her original I think.
Gundamium Alloy

MrMarch wrote:Animeigo's set of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series is ideal and at the prices ($40) you simply can't go wrong. ADV's Super Dimension Fortress Macross set is also good but not as good as the Animeigo set. The ADV set does however have a new dub if you're a dub fan. I'd definitely recommend both sets and encourage you to avoid the Robotech edit.
That $40 price is for each of the three sets correct? I can't imagine it would be $40 for all three.

I haven't seen this show in probably 20 years, so how is the animation overall?
MrMarch

Gundamium Alloy wrote:That $40 price is for each of the three sets correct? I can't imagine it would be $40 for all three.

That's $40.00 for the whole set, all 36 episodes, total.

Overall? The animation for SDF Macross is weak and has not aged well, very much like MSG. On the flip side, DYRL still looks brilliant to this day.
NewtypeS3

I have to agree with pretty much everyone else here. If you're low on cash, or just don't care for watching the dub, then the Animeigo set is perfectly fine. If you like dubs (and believe me, it's an insane amount of vocal work in this series) and wouldn't mind seeing the extras (such as the first Macross dub, released in 1985... and no, I don't mean Robotech...), then the ADV release is also perfectly fine.
Either way works, considering it's the same show, really.

And, as it's been mentioned before, the series hasn't aged entirely well since 1983 - but the series is still worth watching, much like the original Gundam series.
Of course, I wouldn't recommend watching Do You Remember Love without watching Macross first. It looks great, but it's really hard to follow without seeing Macross first... not to mention the fact that it's not actually in the Macross storyline. But dang, it looks great.
Gundamium Alloy

MrMarch wrote:
Gundamium Alloy wrote:That $40 price is for each of the three sets correct? I can't imagine it would be $40 for all three.

That's $40.00 for the whole set, all 36 episodes, total.

Overall? The animation for SDF Macross is weak and has not aged well, very much like MSG. On the flip side, DYRL still looks brilliant to this day.
Where can I find the Animego set (all 3 complete Macross volumes) for $40?
MrMarch

Gundamium Alloy wrote:Where can I find the Animego set (all 3 complete Macross volumes) for $40?
Robotech.com sells them. Here's the link:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93
Gundamium Alloy

Okay, now I'm really confused. What are the 3 black box sets from Animiego in relation to this set. Online stores that still have the 3 black box sets aren't selling them any cheaper than $35 each. Is there a difference? Also, has anyone ordered from Robotech.com?
MrMarch

The Animeigo set doesn't come ONLY in 3 sets. However, to understand why the 3 sets came about, requires a bit of explanation

The SDF Macross DVD set was originally only available from Animeigo's website for a cost $250 and WAS NOT available retail at that time. I was one of the people who purchased it. It came in a single box of 9 discs and included a lenticular-motion picture.

After the inital production run on Animeigo's website, the DVDs were sold retail for the first time. However, the high price of the set meant that the series would be broken into three boxed set of 3 discs each which were much more affordable. These sets are still available via some retailers.

During this time, ADV obtained the rights to SDF Macross and produced their own DVD set for sale. This ADV set includes a new dub, but sadly suffers from lesser sound quality than the Animeigo release. Regardless, it is still a good quality set and the ONLY option for dub fans who want to watch the original SDF Macross series.

Animeigo's left over stock that wasn't sold to retailers was repackaged into a single boxed set and made available on Robotech.com at a new low price. This is the set I've linked to you.

Numerous fans on the MacrossWorld boards have ordered the set from Robotech.com and said it's identical to the original Animeigo release. The only difference is packaging. Some fans already owners of the Animeigo set have actually purchased a duplicate set from Robotech.com.

Phew :) Well, I hope that helps :)
Gundamium Alloy

MrMarch wrote:The Animeigo set doesn't come ONLY in 3 sets. However, to understand why the 3 sets came about, requires a bit of explanation

The SDF Macross DVD set was originally only available from Animeigo's website for a cost $250 and WAS NOT available retail at that time. I was one of the people who purchased it. It came in a single box of 9 discs and included a lenticular-motion picture.

After the inital production run on Animeigo's website, the DVDs were sold retail for the first time. However, the high price of the set meant that the series would be broken into three boxed set of 3 discs each which were much more affordable. These sets are still available via some retailers.

During this time, ADV obtained the rights to SDF Macross and produced their own DVD set for sale. This ADV set includes a new dub, but sadly suffers from lesser sound quality than the Animeigo release. Regardless, it is still a good quality set and the ONLY option for dub fans who want to watch the original SDF Macross series.

Animeigo's left over stock that wasn't sold to retailers was repackaged into a single boxed set and made available on Robotech.com at a new low price. This is the set I've linked to you.

Numerous fans on the MacrossWorld boards have ordered the set from Robotech.com and said it's identical to the original Animeigo release. The only difference is packaging. Some fans already owners of the Animeigo set have actually purchased a duplicate set from Robotech.com.

Phew :) Well, I hope that helps :)
Wow, thanks for the explanation on the subject. Well, for $40 it sounds like a good deal, depending on how much shipping costs will be. Wonder if you can order over the phone or by money order? Thanks.
Leroy Landers

I can vouch for the Animeigo Macross set I think it's superb and I'm glad it's available at such a cheap price off Robotech.com. If you want the ADV version with the dub you can get it from Rightstuf as part of their ADV sale, although I can't say how good it is since I've never seen it.
VentZX

I'm gonna go ahead and say thank you to everyone who provided this info too. I've always wanted to get into Macross, ever since I found out that it was what Robotech was based off. I ordered this the instant I got home today. Can't wait to watch it.
Mark064

I bought it from Robotech.com a few days ago actually but the shipping ended up being $30 to Canada...
turkishproverb

Leroy Landers wrote:I can vouch for the Animeigo Macross set I think it's superb and I'm glad it's available at such a cheap price off Robotech.com. If you want the ADV version with the dub you can get it from Rightstuf as part of their ADV sale, although I can't say how good it is since I've never seen it.
it'll cost a little less too, although you've got to buy 3 additional dvd's.

incidentally, does the ADV version use the restored Animeeigo visuals, or different ones?

Edit: Cancel that, they're out of the last 3 volumes of the series.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Arsarcana

While we're discussing Macross, anyone know where it's possible to find the laughably bad dub of DYRL (the complete thing, not the hacked up version released as Clash of the Bioroids)? A buddy showed me his copy and the sheer cheese factor won me over but finding the thing is a pain.
NewtypeS3

It's probably out there somewhere online. I was able to find a copy of 'Robotech: The Untold Story' on a less-than-reputable site, and that had been thought to nearly be lost to time several times over.
Of course, actually finding it could prove to be hard, considering old release formats.