The AEUG's legacy- was it all good?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ascension

Kosh wrote:Interestingly, the point I would make is that the Titans' persecution of Zeons smacks of a sort of McCarthyist persecution of communists. Just like in the real world there is a distinction between a Marxist and someone who advocates Stalin-like dictatorship; in the Universal Century there is a demarcation between those who advocate Zeon Daikun's ideals (Zeonists?) and those who support the idea of the Principality of Zeon as a Zabi dictatorship. The latter are the ones who actually may be dangerous, but because of them, the former are persecuted as well.
I think the word you're looking for is Contolism. UC material seems pretty consistent in labeling those who support Deikun but not of the Zabis as supporters of Contolism. Interestingly enough, I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not the term Contolist was ever used, but it seems like a logical assumption that they would be called Contolists.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
toysdream

Since people have been asking for more info on Kondo's "Side Story of Gundam Zeta" comic, here's a very quick backgrounder.

Essentially, it's an alternate-universe take on Zeta Gundam. Just as in the animated story, the Titans are created after the One Year War to suppress dissent and hunt Zeon remnants. The Titans are led by Bask Om - here he's half-paralyzed as a result of torture by the Zeons during the One Year War, which may be why a lot of fans think this happened to the anime version as well - and they're opposed by a resistance group called the AEUG which is sponsored by Anaheim Electronics. Oh, and Amuro is under house arrest because the Federation government doesn't trust Newtypes. That's pretty much all it has in common with the anime.

In this version, Char has adopted his Quattro alias and gone to work for the Titans. Jerid Messa is his deputy. Kamille is the son of Side 3 citizens who were arrested by the Titans, and the AEUG is essentially a Zeon remnant group. It's rumored that the AEUG is led by former White Base crew members, but none of them appear in the comic, and for Kondo's purposes "AEUG" equals "Zeon."

In the comic, AEUG mobile suits descend from orbit to attack a Federation base on Earth. The attack is just a decoy for their real mission, which is to free Amuro Ray and take him to Hickory so that he can return to space. Kamille participates in the latter mission (piloting an Asshimar, of all things). Meanwhile Char, who is just returning from his own meeting with Amuro, makes a rendezvous with a Garuda carrier. As the comic ends, Kamille and Amuro are landing at Hickory, while Char and Jerid are preparing to launch from their Garuda and intercept them. Hickory sends a signal back to Granada, where Anaheim is testing the transformable "Zeta Gustav." There the comic ends, and as far as I know, Kondo never bothered continuing it.

Otherwise, I guess it's mostly notable for its grab-bag of mobile suit cameos. The Titans field plenty of Gundam Mark II and Mark III units, as well as an "RX-005 Sturm Jaeger" based on the Gaplant, and Char briefly pilots an "RX-100" which resembles the Hyaku Shiki Kai. The AEUG forces use vintage Doms and Zakus, as well as the "MS-20" Hizack, "MS-22" Marasai, and "TMA-10X" Asshimar. In the closing scenes at Granada we see the TMS-007X Zeta Gustav, the Rick Dias, Kondo's beloved Goblins and Gei-Drei, and a souped-up "MA-08R" Big Zam.

-- Mark
Imperial

I can't begin to thank you enough for that, Mark. The Side Story of Gundam Zeta has long been an obscure piece of Gundam material I've wished to know more about. Suffice to say I'm intrigued by all the things Kondo did differently with the story. It's too bad it never completed its run, as the horde of suits gathering at Granada could make for an epic fleet battle. Looking at his more traditional Zeta adaptaion (with transforming Qubeley and Zeong-esque The O shenanigans, among other things), Kondo seems like the type to revel in not taking the beaten path.

Either way, we appreciate the gesture.
This space for rent
turkishproverb

toysdream wrote:Since people have been asking for more info on Kondo's "Side Story of Gundam Zeta" comic, here's a very quick backgrounder.

Essentially, it's an alternate-universe take on Zeta Gundam. Just as in the animated story, the Titans are created after the One Year War to suppress dissent and hunt Zeon remnants. The Titans are led by Bask Om - here he's half-paralyzed as a result of torture by the Zeons during the One Year War, which may be why a lot of fans think this happened to the anime version as well - and they're opposed by a resistance group called the AEUG which is sponsored by Anaheim Electronics. Oh, and Amuro is under house arrest because the Federation government doesn't trust Newtypes. That's pretty much all it has in common with the anime.

In this version, Char has adopted his Quattro alias and gone to work for the Titans. Jerid Messa is his deputy. Kamille is the son of Side 3 citizens who were arrested by the Titans, and the AEUG is essentially a Zeon remnant group. It's rumored that the AEUG is led by former White Base crew members, but none of them appear in the comic, and for Kondo's purposes "AEUG" equals "Zeon."

In the comic, AEUG mobile suits descend from orbit to attack a Federation base on Earth. The attack is just a decoy for their real mission, which is to free Amuro Ray and take him to Hickory so that he can return to space. Kamille participates in the latter mission (piloting an Asshimar, of all things). Meanwhile Char, who is just returning from his own meeting with Amuro, makes a rendezvous with a Garuda carrier. As the comic ends, Kamille and Amuro are landing at Hickory, while Char and Jerid are preparing to launch from their Garuda and intercept them. Hickory sends a signal back to Granada, where Anaheim is testing the transformable "Zeta Gustav." There the comic ends, and as far as I know, Kondo never bothered continuing it.

Otherwise, I guess it's mostly notable for its grab-bag of mobile suit cameos. The Titans field plenty of Gundam Mark II and Mark III units, as well as an "RX-005 Sturm Jaeger" based on the Gaplant, and Char briefly pilots an "RX-100" which resembles the Hyaku Shiki Kai. The AEUG forces use vintage Doms and Zakus, as well as the "MS-20" Hizack, "MS-22" Marasai, and "TMA-10X" Asshimar. In the closing scenes at Granada we see the TMS-007X Zeta Gustav, the Rick Dias, Kondo's beloved Goblins and Gei-Drei, and a souped-up "MA-08R" Big Zam.

-- Mark

Wow. Sounds fun, and I do like Kondo's work. Thanks for the summary

Did any part of this ever get collected, or will I have to buy a bunch've old comic bombom's to read it?
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Commissar Bright Noa

According to an interview in Gundam 0079 vol. 2 He says that he was told that he was told to do a Char's Counterattack story instead and cancelled Side Story of Gundam Z to do New MS Senki.
ZeonfromHell

Looking at the official story, Earth becomes a fascist state led by the elite of Earth and uses fear and oppression to keep the Spacenoids in line. Sounds a lot like Gihren's proverbs to me...

Does Zeta mean Zeon was right (apart from the genocidal "Master Race" garbage)?
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Koshernova

ZeonfromHell wrote:Looking at the official story, Earth becomes a fascist state led by the elite of Earth and uses fear and oppression to keep the Spacenoids in line. Sounds a lot like Gihren's proverbs to me...

Does Zeta mean Zeon was right (apart from the genocidal "Master Race" garbage)?
I thought the point was that Zeon never espoused that Master Race bit, and that it was 100% Gihren twisting his words.
teslashark

according to you,old Mark,seems this"sidestory" is really funny and should be called counter story.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
turkishproverb

teslashark wrote:according to you,old Mark,seems this"sidestory" is really funny and should be called counter story.
From what I recall of the interview in Volume 2 of 0079, it was origionally supposed to just be titled Z.
Ascension wrote:
saneman

Looking at AOZ, I would have been surprised if AUEG didn't immediately broke apart when Axis returned from its Zion contingents, whose actions were obvious that they had no love for AUEG at all..
You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is right.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson
mcred23

saneman wrote:Looking at AOZ, I would have been surprised if AUEG didn't immediately broke apart when Axis returned from its Zion contingents, whose actions were obvious that they had no love for AUEG at all..
I don't see why the AEUG would have had that sort of problem. While I don't know how AoZ shows the AEUG (I never read AoZ), we know the anime makes it fairly clear that the AEUG has few Zeons in it's ranks (Let alone those who are openly Zeon; IIRC, Char/Eddie-baby is the only one) and that the majority of the AEUG's forces are ex-EFSF.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Captain Anonymous

mcred23 wrote: I don't see why the AEUG would have had that sort of problem. While I don't know how AoZ shows the AEUG (I never read AoZ), we know the anime makes it fairly clear that the AEUG has few Zeons in it's ranks (Let alone those who are openly Zeon; IIRC, Char/Eddie-baby is the only one) and that the majority of the AEUG's forces are ex-EFSF.
Adding to that, the only two closet Zeons in the AEUG in the anime would be Roberto and Apolly, who I'd wager came under the guise of being former Federation soldiers.
(It's never overtly stated, but the anime does seen to strongly imply it, and a good number of video games and manga seem to support it.)

It seems to me that the AEUG is mostly ex-Federation along with a number of civilian volunteers.

I'd also like to point out Katz's attitude towards the appearence of Axis. When the possiblity comes up for a treaty, he becomes angry and begins to fight about it. Now, why would he become so upset if the AEUG already contained a number of openly Zeon members?
While his actions seem to be on the more extreme end of the scale, no one in AEUG during the anime seems overly happy to have Axis around.
And being mostly Federation soldiers, many of which fought in the OYW (and retro-actively the Delaz uprising), I can't see Katz's sentiment only being felt by him and a small few.
Chris
Administrator

Yeah... the Zeta anime (to me) makes it pretty clear that there are few Zeon in AEUG. Based on the way Apolly and Roberto talk and the way they respect Char, it's obvious they're Zeon. Although Apolly disguises that by dressing up in a Federation Forces uniform. Recent manga and productions like Evolve have injected a lot more Zeon into the mix, which I can't say I'm too pleased about. I prefer the AEUG to be a bunch of former EF people like Bright and Henken, because an AEUG filled with Zeons makes the Titans propaganda true and justifies their stated mission more.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
toysdream

Both Apolly and Roberto wear Federation uniforms (Apolly only on formal occasions), so it's pretty likely that they infiltrated the Federation along with Char before joining the AEUG. Thus the grand total of openly Zeon personnel in the AEUG, according to the animation, is zero.

As for Gundam Evolve, it's possible that Shin Matsunaga and Johnny Ridden are Anaheim test pilots rather than AEUG or Karaba personnel (I think Amuro is the only Zeta pilot with a military rank). That wouldn't be so odd, since we already know that Anaheim is full of former Zeons. Yet another reason why the AEUG-Anaheim relationship is sometimes an awkward one...

-- Mark
turkishproverb

toysdream wrote:Both Apolly and Roberto wear Federation uniforms (Apolly only on formal occasions), so it's pretty likely that they infiltrated the Federation along with Char before joining the AEUG. Thus the grand total of openly Zeon personnel in the AEUG, according to the animation, is zero.

As for Gundam Evolve, it's possible that Shin Matsunaga and Johnny Ridden are Anaheim test pilots rather than AEUG or Karaba personnel (I think Amuro is the only Zeta pilot with a military rank). That wouldn't be so odd, since we already know that Anaheim is full of former Zeons. Yet another reason why the AEUG-Anaheim relationship is sometimes an awkward one...

-- Mark
And once you get slightly less cannon sources like AOZ into the mix, things just make your head hurt.
Ascension wrote: