The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Ver VIII

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arsarcana

The OP would appear to argue against that point since we see the two teams shooting at each other. Of course, that's not to say they'll ultimately be enemies but I think it's safe to say that for a while at least if not until the end, they'll be opposing each other.
wing zero alpha

Kavik Ryx wrote:Besides, the beauty of 00 is that is has tried to avoid many of these stereotypes.
Right, there's nothing stereotypical about a Middle Eastern child soldier, an Irish terrorist attack survivor (IRA and all), a genetically enhanced super soldier escapee with more issues than Time magazine, a bishonen that wears pink, a grizzled Russian combat veteran that's seen it all, a hotshot American ace pilot with a personal agenda or an arrogant French guy that couldn't win a snowball fight (Patrick). And those are just the ones I can recall at this point. :roll:

And in actuality, I got a similar vibe to Einhander's comment, this team does make me think Sting, Auel and Stellar 2.0. Please let me note that this is not necessarily a bad thing to me, since those three had appeal for a while, and I can see that happening with the Trinity (until the regular Meisters upgrade to newer hardware anyway). But I guess I'll have to wait and see how they turn out.
auriga

I believe Kavik is referring to Gundam stereotypes.
Yeah didn't we already have the discussion on lumping 00 in with past Gundam shows and their stereotypes?
There.
Deacon Blues

Here are the official names from the Gundam 00 DVD liner notes!

Celestial Being

Setsuna F Seiei
Allelujah Haptism
Lockon Stratos
Tieria Erde
Sumeragi Lee Noriega
Lichtendahl Tseryl
Lasse Aeon
Christina Sierra
Wang Liu Mei
Feldt Grace
Alejandro Corner

Union

Graham Aker
Billy Katagiri

Human Reform League

Sergei Smirnov
Soma Peries

Advanced European Union

Patrick Colasour

Note: A couple changes based on the "manga" spellings.
Strike Zero

wing zero alpha wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote:Besides, the beauty of 00 is that is has tried to avoid many of these stereotypes.
Right, there's nothing stereotypical about a Middle Eastern child soldier, an Irish terrorist attack survivor (IRA and all), a genetically enhanced super soldier escapee with more issues than Time magazine, a bishonen that wears pink, a grizzled Russian combat veteran that's seen it all, a hotshot American ace pilot with a personal agenda or an arrogant French guy that couldn't win a snowball fight (Patrick). And those are just the ones I can recall at this point. :roll:
You really didn't get the meaning behind Kavik's post, did you? Yes, those are all typical stereotypes that you may or may not see in any story. Those are not typical, however, when it comes to Gundam.

I cannot recal a single instance where a Gundam series featured a child soldier from a war-torn country as the lead protagonist. "Irish terrorist attack survivor" does not come readily to mind either. Sure, Gundam has had its fair share of super soldiers, but none of them have been exactly the same and none of them have been exactly like Allelujah. I don't believe we've ever had a "bishonen that wears pink", though I'm surprised that you used Tieria's appearance to define his character. "Cold, calculating bastard who seems to be beyond human" would have been more appropriate. Really, the only two characters you mentioned that are even remotely close to being stereotypical are Graham and Sergei.

-

One more thing: Can we all please stop comparing the Trinitys, characters that we haven't even seen in action yet, to the trios of from SEED that also happend to be Gundam pilots? Lest we all forget, the development of every single one of those characters was bad. Each of the previous trios were simply there because the cool-looking Gundams needed pilots (Stella was the only one that had any relevence the the actual plot, and even she wasn't written as well as she could have been), and the thought that Team Trinity is yet another carbon copy of those groups really annoys me to no end. So just stop it, and wait until we can actually see what they are like before making comparisons to the previous shows.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Strike Zero wrote:
I cannot recall a single instance where a Gundam series featured a child soldier from a war-torn country as the lead protagonist. I don't believe we've ever had a "bishonen that wears pink", though I'm surprised that you used Tieria's appearance to define his character.
I suppose if you look at it a certain way, almost all Gundam pilots are child soldiers, from the viewpoint that most of them are under 18. Then again, I think the Japanese have a different viewpoint on ages? Doesn't really matter anyway.

About the wearing pink? Three words Strike Zero: Quatre Rababa Winner.

In any case, Strike Zero's right guys. Rem acu tetagesti. That horribly spelled Latin phrase means he has hit the issue on the head or some such. I agree wholeheartedly, let's please not compare the Trinities to the druggie pilots from SEED or Destiny until we see episode 16.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
wing zero alpha

Strike Zero wrote:You really didn't get the meaning behind Kavik's post, did you? Yes, those are all typical stereotypes that you may or may not see in any story. Those are not typical, however, when it comes to Gundam.
Apparently you're not getting the meaning behind my statement: A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype. Just because some will get it while others will not doesn't make it less of a stereotype or character profile. Don't misunderstand; I'm not knocking down on Gundam 00, it's a good series so far (especially now that the main plot seems to be coming in full swing), but I sure as am not going to put it on a higher pedestal and say it's going across boundaries that it isn't because I'm all hyped up about it.

That said, while the current set of characters in 00 may not be the super typical Gundam cast (which in the least is debatable), that doesn't mean they're so original that Gundam 00 is free from stereotypes, which is what Kavik's statement hinted at.
I cannot recal a single instance where a Gundam series featured a child soldier from a war-torn country as the lead protagonist.
Try Heero Yuy and Trowa Barton. May not be the same "war torn" (more like politically oppressed), but still of the same child soldier mold. On the other hand, we haven't had a Gundam protagonist that's killed his own parents in cold blood before; the closest one we got on that was Kamille, but he didn't pull the trigger. Not that I consider that part of Setsuna a good thing.
"Irish terrorist attack survivor" does not come readily to mind either.
Maybe not Irish, but we've had a few "post-tramautic event" survivors in Gundam. Chibodee Crockett is one example I can think up.
Sure, Gundam has had its fair share of super soldiers, but none of them have been exactly the same and none of them have been exactly like Allelujah.
I never said Allelujah didn't have his own unique traits, although the nice/evil split personality thing was already done (Gundam X).
I don't believe we've ever had a "bishonen that wears pink", though I'm surprised that you used Tieria's appearance to define his character. "Cold, calculating bastard who seems to be beyond human" would have been more appropriate.
I was trying to be lenient on Tieria, but now that you mention it: Gihren Zabi, Haman Karn, Zabine Chareux (in Crossbone anyway), the elder Frost brother (forgot his name) and a few others. One thing I'll give Tieria some credit for is that such character traits are reserved for villains rather than protagonists, which is likely why everyone believes Tieria will betray the team someday.
Really, the only two characters you mentioned that are even remotely close to being stereotypical are Graham and Sergei.
What, are you saying an overblustered French guy that constantly gets his ass kicked isn't a stereotype?
One more thing: Can we all please stop comparing the Trinitys, characters that we haven't even seen in action yet, to the trios of from SEED that also happend to be Gundam pilots? Lest we all forget, the development of every single one of those characters was bad. Each of the previous trios were simply there because the cool-looking Gundams needed pilots (Stella was the only one that had any relevence the the actual plot, and even she wasn't written as well as she could have been), and the thought that Team Trinity is yet another carbon copy of those groups really annoys me to no end. So just stop it, and wait until we can actually see what they are like before making comparisons to the previous shows.
No one said or even hinted at that the Trinitys will turn out like the trios in SEED, but you can't deny that they're of similar mold and the setup is quite close: a trio of genetically engineered Gundam pilots, each with their own personality quirks and their own unique Gundams, being sent as a SpecOps team that not even the regular and more experienced Gundam pilots can stand up to. Sound familiar? Just because you don't like how the previous ones turned out (don't blame you) doesn't mean we should flat out ignore the similarities and treat it as though we're comparing the current three to Satan and two of his minions.

But I will agree with you on one thing: it's best to wait and see how the three turn out before anyone damns them to the Seventh Circle of Gundam Hell, the one reserved for characters that the fan base just don't like (for whatever reason).
Dark Duel

wing zero alpha wrote: the elder Frost brother (forgot his name)
Shagia. He's Shagia Frost.
The other one's Olba. (Weird names, eh?)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kavik Ryx

Who's in the other eight?
Arsarcana

I'm not sure about the Eighth Circle (though the Moon Moon arc of ZZ probably belongs there) but I'm 100% positive about the Ninth: The lowest portion of Gundam Hell is reserved exclusively for any and everything related to G-Savior.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Arsarcana wrote:I'm not sure about the Eighth Circle (though the Moon Moon arc of ZZ probably belongs there) but I'm 100% positive about the Ninth: The lowest portion of Gundam Hell is reserved exclusively for any and everything related to G-Savior.
I'll second that opinion but let's keep talking about 00.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

wing zero alpha wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:You really didn't get the meaning behind Kavik's post, did you? Yes, those are all typical stereotypes that you may or may not see in any story. Those are not typical, however, when it comes to Gundam.
Apparently you're not getting the meaning behind my statement: A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype. Just because some will get it while others will not doesn't make it less of a stereotype or character profile. Don't misunderstand; I'm not knocking down on Gundam 00, it's a good series so far (especially now that the main plot seems to be coming in full swing), but I sure as am not going to put it on a higher pedestal and say it's going across boundaries that it isn't because I'm all hyped up about it.

That said, while the current set of characters in 00 may not be the super typical Gundam cast (which in the least is debatable), that doesn't mean they're so original that Gundam 00 is free from stereotypes, which is what Kavik's statement hinted at.
Alright, alright, I get it. Yeesh.
wing zero alpha wrote:But I will agree with you on one thing: it's best to wait and see how the three turn out before anyone damns them to the Seventh Circle of Gundam Hell, the one reserved for characters that the fan base just don't like (for whatever reason).
This is basically what I was trying to get at in the first place. Saying characters are good or bad is one thing, but it just annoys me whenever people start saying that characters are "stereotypical" or that they dislike them because they appear stereotypical. It's just not true. Setsuna is Setsuna and Patrick is Patrick. Even if they share similar traits, over the course of the show I've only been reminded of characters from previous series a grand total of two times.

This isn't me trying to single you out, WZA. Your comment on stereotypes just happened to be the one to get me to make some sort of response.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

"Literature has always been a huge crucible in which familiar themes are continually recast." - Michael Maar

The same can be said about all creative media. There is no such thing as an original idea anymore. We've used them all up. What makes the difference though is how these ideas are combined together. You'll always find a similarity to something else in anything. Comparing things and complaining about lack of originality is a colossal waste of time.

Trinity are like the Extends? Gundam Miesters are like the Wing boys? So what? It's how these character sets will interact with each other that will distinguish them. Even if you have the same character types, if they're in a different situation they will act differently.

So let's stop all this comparison nonsense shall we? It's ok to say certain things remind you of other things, but don't take it beyond that. And if you disagree with some one's statement like that, don't turn it into a debate.

With that said, only a few more hours until episode 16. I can't wait to hear Nena speak.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
SNT1

looking at the early screens, this episode is probably half Throne-awesomeness, half recap lameness.

You guys can do a more awesome image dump...but right now, just some Nena mugshots before I zzz

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n1.png
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n2.png
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n3.png
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n4.png
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n5.png
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/SNT1/n6.png
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Homeless

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
ExhileVoid

So where's the recap episode people from various different boards were constantly saying that it'll be THIS episode?
Homeless

A portion of the second half, which I said I skipped.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Strike

EinhanderAstraeaMk.I

That Throne Mothership almost looks alien... I like it! ROFL at CarbonSterioxide's comment!