Quick question on the specification of Gundam Sidestories.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NewtypeS3

Quick question on the specification of Gundam Sidestories.

Ok, I'm in a slight argument here with another poster at another board. He's claiming that MSV are the same as sidestories (ie: Astray is MSV) and that novelizations are also MSV (ie: Belty's Children is also MSV, despite not being recognized as canon/official).
That's not how it's listed on MAHQ's tech area - but he claims to be right because of Neverending Tomorrow and SDGGGP listing Astray under 'Seed MSV' mode and SDGGGP listing Hi-Nu under CCA-MSV.

Is he actually right... or is this Bandai's developers being lazy and taking the path of least resistence?
Wingnut

He's not right at all.
Granted a lot of MSV designs show up in side stories (especially in the CE), but that does not make them side stories themselves.
The original MSV "collection" was nothing more than unused MS designs for the original series. No side story was ever written about them, though much later some games and manga did use make use of them.
I have no solid proof, but I suspect that even the CE MSV are the same as their MSG cousins in that they are designs that were not used in the main show (Seed, and Destiny), and rather than let them go to waste Bandai decides to use them in the Astray manga which is a side story to Seed/Destiny.

Note also that games can change the rules of how things are listed/used everywhere else and is one of the reasons why we consistently say that video games are not a reliable source of information unless the mobile weapon was created originally for that game. (And even then that could get hit by the retcon bomb at some point.)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
toysdream

Re: Quick question on the specification of Gundam Sidestorie

NewtypeS3 wrote:Ok, I'm in a slight argument here with another poster at another board. He's claiming that MSV are the same as sidestories (ie: Astray is MSV) and that novelizations are also MSV (ie: Belty's Children is also MSV, despite not being recognized as canon/official).
That's not how it's listed on MAHQ's tech area - but he claims to be right because of Neverending Tomorrow and SDGGGP listing Astray under 'Seed MSV' mode and SDGGGP listing Hi-Nu under CCA-MSV.
Bearing in mind what "MSV" stands for, it should be obvious that it's not the same thing as "side story." The former term refers to the mobile suit variations themselves - that is, the mecha designs - and the latter refers to, well, stories.

That said, MSV designs can and do appear in side stories, and often they're published along with stories to provide some narrative background. For example, Kunio Okawara's MS Collection designs were published alongside a series of "MS Collection Novels," and the Seed MSV and Seed Destiny MSV series were accompanied by an "MSV Senki" serial. On the other hand, sometimes an MSV lineup includes machines which originally appeared in novels or side stories; the G-3 Gundam, for example, comes from Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam novels, just as the Hi-Nu Gundam is based on the illustrations from Beltorchika's Children. (The machine is just called the "Nu Gundam" in the novel itself, so it's technically incorrect to say that the Hi-Nu appears in Beltorchika's Children.)

So yeah, mobile suits can and do cross back and forth between MSV collections and side stories. But these are two different categories, like, say, apples and verbs.

-- Mark
ZeonfromHell

Re: Quick question on the specification of Gundam Sidestorie

toysdream wrote:So yeah, mobile suits can and do cross back and forth between MSV collections and side stories.
Ah yes, much like how MSV gets put into video games, Zeonic Front and 0079: Rise From the Ashes being two of many examples(the latter even having words "Side Story" in the title).

But these are two different categories, like, say, apples and verbs.

-- Mark
May I sig this? It's rather clever.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
NewtypeS3

I had a feeling something was fishy. Thanks, guys - especially to you, Mark. Wasn't expecting a reply from the man himself.

I'd post the link to said topic (Gundam Battle Chronicle board on Gamefaqs/Gamespot), but I'm not sure if that's allowed on this forum...
Cardi Doorl

NewtypeS3 wrote:I'd post the link to said topic (Gundam Battle Chronicle board on Gamefaqs/Gamespot), but I'm not sure if that's allowed on this forum...
There're no rules against posting links to other forums in a non-advertisement context, silly goose ;)
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
NewtypeS3

Well, that makes more sense. XD

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=40245216

I gotta say, though, his mastery of the English Language... isn't.
Nor does he apparently know who Mark is, considering he claims 'someone from the USA can never challenge the published stuff made by the original publishers.' You know, despite being apparently hired by them.
toysdream

I have a hard time figuring out what exactly that guy is arguing about. If he's claiming that any mobile suit design that appears in a side story is considered an MSV, then I'm afraid it's his word against everybody in Japan, since MSV and side story mecha are categorized separately in every video game and reference book ever released. So nobody has to take my word for anything. :-)

-- Mark
teslashark

any stuff don't appear in the main story and is different from the original type can be called MSV
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Fritz Ashlyn

So, I forced myself to read the entire thread on GameFAQs, and I think I may have figured out one of the main stumbling blocks.
"side story MECHA is called MSV you idiot. do you even know what MSV stands for?"
Based on the way I read the thread (possibly entirely wrong since it's 3 in the morning here), it seems to me that everyone keeps telling reiyu13 that he's wrong, and re-explaining what MSVs are, etc.. Reiyu13 keeps asking everyone to show him where he said side stories and MSV are the same thing, which led to people pointing back to the statement I quoted above.

I think the problem here is reiyu13's poorly worded (in English, I mean) post. He said "side story MECHA is called MSV you idiot..." meaning "mecha in side stories are called MSV", not "side story mecha shows (, games, etc.) are known as MSV". While he is certainly wrong, it seemed to me that for part of the thread there were people (in his eyes) putting words in his mouth that a side story is an MSV.

He's still wrong about the MSV thing, but for a while it looked like there were members on there arguing about nothing because of the language barrier.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!