Use of the Chinese Language in anime?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AU_Gundam MK II

Use of the Chinese Language in anime?

First of all, a certain amount of anime have used the Chinese language. However, I have heard from certain sources that there are some errors in the usage of said language.

An example would be Syaoran of Card Captor Sakura. An interesting note should be that while the Japanese language lacks L in its alphabet, Chinese lacks R, so that could not possibly be the correct spelling. One sight has connoted the correct Chinese spelling to be Shao-Lang, which translates to something with wolf, I think Little Wolf. The reason would most likely come from the fact that since the Japanese pronounce his name as Syaoran, then that would be the accepted name for the dubs.

This makes me bring up this question. Is Altron supposed to be chinese for Double Dragon?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
toysdream

Re: Use of the Chinese Language in anime?

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:This makes me bring up this question. Is Altron supposed to be chinese for Double Dragon?
It comes from erto-long, which means "two-headed dragon." In many cases, the Japanese publications will mention the Chinese characters on which the name is based, so you can reconstruct the (Mandarin) Chinese pronunciation even if it's been mangled in translation.

-- Mark
AU_Gundam MK II

So, if we say it in Chinese, Elto-Long?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Zerosystem

Where did you get that the Chinese language lacks an 'r' sound?

'Erto-long' is exactly as it sounds, at least in Mandarin, which is the standard (the pinyin system) for how Chinese characters should sound, if they were to phonetically spelled out in english text.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
AU_Gundam MK II

My parents had said that if a Chinese was going to say "Fried Rice" and not translate it to Chinese, they said he would say "Flied Lice" instead.

AmuroNT1

Even though I only took a semester of Chinese, I can tell you that the language has R sounds. The "flied lice" thing is just a general Asian stereotype playing off the Japanese language not distinguishing between the R and L sounds.

Speaking of, I asked my Chinese teacher to translate Wu Fei's name. He said it came out as nonsense ("Five Flying Sheets"), but noted that "Zhang" and "Wu Fei" are both very common names in China. It's also worth noting that he's named for Zhang Fei from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, according to the Series Bibles (there's an interview where the spell out the exact name origin of the primary cast).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
AU_Gundam MK II

I'll have to keep all this in mind. Been a while since I took Chinese.

On another note, a source sighted Wu Fei's name meaning 5 in Chinese.

AmuroNT1

Wu Fei's name is pretty much Zhang Fei's name with the Chinese word for five tacked on to keep with the numerical trend.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
quasadra

since im a chinese, i may be able to help here.

1. chinese do have "R" sound. for example "ran hou" is how you say "later".
2. syaoran means literally as "little wolf" which pronounce as "xiao lang".
3. i dont know where Altron comes from, but twin/double dragon is pronounce as "shuang long". and you guys got "erto long" right.
4. wu fei means "five fly" literally :lol: .
Last edited by quasadra on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
lobster

Mandarin has both R and L.

In case of Cantonese, there is L but no R.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Zerosystem

quasadra wrote:3. i dont know where Altron comes from, but twin/double dragon is pronounce as "shuang long". and you guys got "erto long" right.
4. wu fei means "five fly" literary :lol: .
I also happen to be Chinese, but Cantonese.

I think Altron came along as a suitable replacement for the name 'Alto-Long', Because 'Alto-long' sounds a bit cumbersome and awkward, and is pointless to the North American/Caucasian audience, because they wouldn't really understand the significance.

Altron sounds a bit easier, and the '-tron' ending would make you automatically assume a machine of some sort, anyway.

Also, for the Wufei translation, fly would be the verb, not the noun.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
toysdream

Zerosystem wrote:I think Altron came along as a suitable replacement for the name 'Alto-Long', Because 'Alto-long' sounds a bit cumbersome and awkward, and is pointless to the North American/Caucasian audience, because they wouldn't really understand the significance.

Altron sounds a bit easier, and the '-tron' ending would make you automatically assume a machine of some sort, anyway.
On the other hand, they already used the "-long" ending for the Shenlong Gundam, so the spelling of the Altron Gundam is rather inconsistent. Ah well.

-- Mark
quasadra

Zerosystem wrote:[Also, for the Wufei translation, fly would be the verb, not the noun.
i was just taking the whole thing literally, its just a bad joke.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
teslashark

Re: Use of the Chinese Language in anime?

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:First of all, a certain amount of anime have used the Chinese language. However, I have heard from certain sources that there are some errors in the usage of said language.

An example would be Syaoran of Card Captor Sakura. An interesting note should be that while the Japanese language lacks L in its alphabet, Chinese lacks R, so that could not possibly be the correct spelling. One sight has connoted the correct Chinese spelling to be Shao-Lang, which translates to something with wolf, I think Little Wolf. The reason would most likely come from the fact that since the Japanese pronounce his name as Syaoran, then that would be the accepted name for the dubs.

This makes me bring up this question. Is Altron supposed to be chinese for Double Dragon?
surely not it isn't chinese! and it‘s xiaolang, hard to pronounce in english

you can ask me,I am chinese.

EDIT: Don't double-post, please.

~ShadowCell
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
teslashark

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:My parents had said that if a Chinese was going to say "Fried Rice" and not translate it to Chinese, they said he would say "Flied Lice" instead.
No, that's a rumor. The Canadians made it up as a dirty joke. As a matter of fact, some Japanese people pronounce like that.
ShadowCell

Dude, I said don't double-post. D:
teslashark

ShadowCell wrote:Dude, I said don't double-post. D:
sorry, seems i have a problem with my mouse :( i clicked only once, how come it came out twice :?
ShadowCell

I meant you can edit your post if you want to add more to it, instead of making a new post. But whatever. Back to the topic.