For the Barrel

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Imperial

Judging from what little I know, it's another take on the MSG saga, just like The Origin or the novels or whatnot. It is said that For the Barrel would have had the most in common with the novel trilogy, while still retaining its own style and direction.

Other things I've heard about it say that there are some rather bizarre changes. You've seen the trippy mecha and drastically different character designs already. Rumored changes include Fraw being on the RX-78 development team or Char being an android. It's worth mention that Amuro has been totally removed, replaced by that Ling A-bao fellow. Of course, this was followed by a rather lengthy explanation about kanji and other things about Japanese I didn't I understand which lead my friend to conclude that Ling essentially was Amuro.

Sadly, I can't reference any of these blurbs because it's all hearsay. There's precious little information on the subject. The closest I can find are people making claims about things they saw a long time ago (just as I'm doing now).
Last edited by Imperial on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent
SNT1

I'll be blunt about this...

f'n saved.

It was already floated (asked and answered) here looong ago, but I forgot to save the pics. And I don't remember what it exactly is, sorry (something about a discontinued manga retelling MSG in Newtype magazine---don't quote me on that)... Perhaps someone can explain in more detail and/or accuracy.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Hyakushiki

The English version of Newtype had some info about the series, I could try to scan the articles tomorrow. I remember it was more of a illustrated novel in serial form. They were going to publish it in English but that quickly fell through and was forgotten.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Ryujin

Lol, I was the source of some of those pics. BTW, the FTB Gelgoog's fanmade.

Ling A-bao is Amuro. It's just an alternate way of saying his name in Chinese.

FTB's more or less a re-telling of MSG in 22 chapters, serialized in Newtype Magazine back in the earlier years of this decade. It's basically all text with nice illustrations but there was one issue which featured a short manga.

Here's the first page of the final chapter, btw.

I keep saying that I'll scan everything, but oversized pages + a whole lot of unsorted NT magazines + having to stitch scans together = "Eh, I'll do it some other time."

EDIT: Looked through Newtype Feb-May 2001, the manga 'FTB:1984' had four chapters, and is supposed to be treated as a side-chapter of the novel.
Last edited by Ryujin on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.