Just curious - Are Ple Sisters first moe twin?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kratos

See, to me it now seems like moe is one of those words that originally had a really general definition, but has in recent times changed to reference a very specific part of the original definition. It's sorta like how the word "otaku" has a more general definition in Japan, but here in North America specifically refers to anime fans; or like how the word "anime" is technically French slang for animation, but is now used specifically to refer to Japanese animated productions. Only with Moe, the evolution isn't geographically based, but instead time-based.

My point is, "moe" seems to specifically refer to series that design characters around getting the audience to feel protective of the character (as weird as that sounds). Thus, the characters are given traits that considered universally appealing: "adorable" features, baleful eyes, developed bodies, etc. This style obviously appeals to some more than others, but because the features used are meant to be universally attractive (something that clearly works better in theory than in practice), the word "moe" was used, and came to refer to the specific style of character design seen in series like Air and Kanon, as opposed to being the largely subjective term that it once was. I will refer to that particular style as "moe", in quotations, to avoid confusion with the more general definition of the word.

As for whether or not it's a "blight" on anime...well, I only see it as such in the sense that I like diversity in my animated productions, and the use of the above-mentioned "moe" style is sort've counter-productive to that. The reason why some fear that it will lead to the downfall of anime (or whatever) seems to be centered around the fact that the style has a tendency to make use of youthful features, which could lead to those who enjoy "moe" characters being branded as pedophiles (and, subsequently, all anime fans being slapped with said label).

That's my take on it, at any rate.
Kuruni

Wow, I learn more than I expect at first :D .

Agree on how term moe was distorted by time. I rarely seen people refer to strong and sexy girl as moe, somehow innocent atmoshere seem to be aspect of moe character (and you known, "innocent" can be use either way).
My girlfriend was a loli.
bluemax151

Destiny_Gundam wrote:See, it's this kind of attitude that makes me angry. You make moe sound as if it's some fatal disease that will eventually destroy us all.
It's a generalization of a fad/trend in anime. Maybe some people would like to see series focused about more serious issues?
Destiny_Gundam wrote:And I must ask, how many of you actually watch these so called 'moe' shows? Do you avoid them because you see its full of cute girls and write it off as fanboy pandering garbage? If you watch some of these shows, you see there's far more to it than that. Shuffle, Kanon, Air, Clannad, Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, ef -a tale of memories-, School Days and the list goes on.

You do realize several of the series you just mentioned are based on H games right?

燃える/もえる to burn/to get fired up
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Destiny_Gundam

bluemax151 wrote:It's a generalization of a fad/trend in anime. Maybe some people would like to see series focused about more serious issues?
There's plenty of those out there. Plus, there are plenty of 'moe animes' that deal with serious issues.
bluemax151 wrote:You do realize several of the series you just mentioned are based on H games right?
Actually, all those I mentioned are based on h games (well, except Clannad, but that's still based on a visual novel). But that was to further prove my point. Those I mentioned have very good stories and deep characters despite the fact all of the girls were designed to fufill some fetish.

Allow me to throw another title out there. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is one of (if not -the-) best romantic dramas I've ever seen.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kratos

Destiny_Gundam wrote:There are plenty of 'moe animes' that deal with serious issues.
[...]
Actually, all those I mentioned are based on h games (well, except Clannad, but that's still based on a visual novel). But that was to further prove my point. Those I mentioned have very good stories and deep characters despite the fact all of the girls were designed to fufill some fetish.

Allow me to throw another title out there. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is one of (if not -the-) best romantic dramas I've ever seen.
I think the issue is more that some find the particular style of "moe" to be irritating, creepy, or both. They'd like a serious art style to reflect their serious anime series. Not all anime girls need to look like they came straight out of Di Gi Charat (that's an exaggeration, but you see my point), and the whole "moe" style does lend something of an "unrealistic" air to otherwise perfectly serious romantic dramas. Girls can be good-looking in anime without looking like they're over-developed 12-year-olds.
Recon 5

Well, the art style didn't make Fafner, Heroic Age (only examples I can think of, but there are definitely others) any less serious, did it? Even though we all know what else came from the exact same artist.
Destiny_Gundam

Classification is still an issue for me. Is every anime that draws their characters as attractive concidered 'moe style?' Are shows like Berserk and Fist of the Noth Star the only stuff that isn't in 'moe style?'
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kuruni

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Classification is still an issue for me. Is every anime that draws their characters as attractive concidered 'moe style?' Are shows like Berserk and Fist of the Noth Star the only stuff that isn't in 'moe style?'
No, even Berserk has loli bath scene now :wink: ... Look at Cromartie High instead :P .
Kratos

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Classification is still an issue for me. Is every anime that draws their characters as attractive concidered 'moe style?'
No, just those that make them attractive in a very specific way. Pseudo-chibis (in that they have rounded faces, look young, and are short), often (but not always) with fairly developed bodies, and huge, doe-like eyes. That's what "moe" style is.
Kuruni

Huh? I think you're too specify here. Tessa from FMP not fit your description, yet she considered as moe character by many.
Kratos

Fair enough, that example was really narrow. But not as inaccurate as you'd think. From what I understand, "moe" is basically a whole bunch of characteristics considered "cute" shoved into one character design.
quasadra

from what i can understand out of the several post above, moe anime is often consider not serious. personally im not bother by it as long as its dont get too ridiculous. and speaking of which Code Geass has its fair share of moe character, yet its one of the most serious anime i have seen.

well since moe character sells, we gonna see more of them regardless we like them or not.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC