Hints of Newtypes in AU?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
pozdniakov

Hints of Newtypes in AU?

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
I've just been watching wing, but am a major UC fan. I think that there may be newtypes in the wing. We've already seen evidence of Newtypes, or at least those with extra spatial awareness in SEED; however certain events in Wing strike me as newtypish even with the classic sound. For example the part where Lady Une wakes up, senses somethings wrong, and takes the 01 to block the libra cannon. I think this has happened to Quatre, Noin and Zechs too.
Also in turn A, we all know that the Turn X requires a psychommu too work so maybe Gym is a possible newtype?
Wingnut

I can't speak for Turn-A Gundam as I have not seen it, but I have seen all of the other ones, and the only AU that has any instance of newtypes like in the UC, is the AW universe of Gundam X.
Anything else is coincidental similarity, nothing more. Yeah, even the CE. Fukuda handled the concept so poorly, that it is easier if there is no instance of it happening at all.
"What about Mu, Rau, and Rey?" I would chalk that up to family/clone closeness more than anything else as any other time there were no instance of newtype powers or anything like it. Trying to make any sense of why Kira was shown with the newtype flash is enough to hurt your brain in the process because of how it's so badly done.
Last edited by Wingnut on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

One of the many legends of Gundam Wing is that, in the production phase, Wu Fei was slated to be a Newtype but the concept was dropped. However, some merchandise still bears this information; my GF has a pencil board that lists him as such.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Bit of a tid bit: In the SD Gundam games, Mu as listed as a Newtype
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
pozdniakov

There is a difference to being a newtype and what the laFlaga clones and Mu have. Seems like they sense each other through a weird genetic quirk rather than anything else.
ShadowCell

No, because there are other "Newtypes" out there besides the ones in the La Fllaga family. Morgan Chevalier (no, Morgan, I didn't forget you, but everyone else is...there there, put the Smirnoff down...) and Kira Yamato come to mind, and there were a whole slew of Mobius Zero pilots that presumably had the same powers as Mwu, until they got wiped out at Endiymon Crater. SEED's explanation is just that they have "spatial awareness powers."
Bord

If you're talking about AC, I don't think there are any newtypes there... but there's Quatre's "space heart..." I think it was awakened when his dad died, I'm not so sure. It made him sensitive to stuff around him, much like a Newtype but only more vague in terms of abilities, etc...

Maybe Quatre has just high spatial awareness. I don't know about Valder Farkill, since he can control the Hydra Gundam's wire-guided claws.
Kuruni

My impression on CE's "Newtype" is that...they're similar to Category F from AW timeline. A "fake" newtype, they can sense other of their kind (and possibly true newtype) but not normal people.
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Bit of a tid bit: In the SD Gundam games, Mu as listed as a Newtype
At varying points, they've also listed Quatre and the Barnett brothers from G-Unit as Newtypes. Interestingly, though, the Frost brothers aren't.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destroy Gundam

Category F's couldn't even use the flash system which was used by the UNE (both Old and New) to control bit mobile suits. That inability was the apparent reason behind the Frost Brother's (relatively) poor treatment by the New UNE and the resulting bitterness on their part. From what I gathered, the only real power a Category F had was telepathy.

The CE "newtypes" could use remote weapons and had those "flashes", but I'm not sure about anything beyond that.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Ragormha

Didn't Prayer talk to Morgan during his fight with Canard? Using his spatial awareness?
"I don't CARE if the mechanaught can't handle it, I want Wings of Light, the few seconds it'd last and the pilot mortality would be worth it." -me, eXteel closed beta.
Kuruni

Destroy Gundam wrote:Category F's couldn't even use the flash system which was used by the UNE (both Old and New) to control bit mobile suits. That inability was the apparent reason behind the Frost Brother's (relatively) poor treatment by the New UNE and the resulting bitterness on their part. From what I gathered, the only real power a Category F had was telepathy.

The CE "newtypes" could use remote weapons and had those "flashes", but I'm not sure about anything beyond that.
However, Flash System is variant of UC Psycommu system, allow user to control remote weapon with mind. Early CE remote weapon, both gunbarrel and DRAGOON, are manual control (similar to AOZ's winch unit or Contio's shot claw) that only need spartial awareness for effectively use. And next generation CE remote weapon, which become thought-control system, is closer to UC wireless quasi-psycommu system (Rig Contio's show claw?).

In that sense, if we transfer them into other timeline. Frosty Boys may able to use gunbarrel as good as Mu (no psychowave transmission need). And Rau may fail to make G-Bit move too (too weak psychowave to be effective). Of cause, it's still just speculation on my part.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Bord

AmuroNT1 wrote:
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Bit of a tid bit: In the SD Gundam games, Mu as listed as a Newtype
At varying points, they've also listed Quatre and the Barnett brothers from G-Unit as Newtypes. Interestingly, though, the Frost brothers aren't.
Games aren't exactly the most reliable of sources since they aren't canon, but they do provide hints. The Barnett brothers do have some special "bond" like the Frost brothers have, something that lets them sense each other. Though maybe it's something that only close related people have, like Mu and Rau. Perhaps it's in the genes.
AU_Gundam MK II

Newtypes are only referenced in every other timeline with the occasional hearing or seeing of the newtype flash. SEED, have no clue, but definitely not Newtype. X and UC as I see it are the only ones with Newtypes present.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
auriga

One of the many legends of Gundam Wing is that, in the production phase, Wu Fei was slated to be a Newtype but the concept was dropped.
... And the one I heard had some manga saying that Zechs was a Newtype.
Albireo_818

auriga wrote:
One of the many legends of Gundam Wing is that, in the production phase, Wu Fei was slated to be a Newtype but the concept was dropped.
... And the one I heard had some manga saying that Zechs was a Newtype.
While we're at it, let's make Lacus and Relena Newtypes as well :lol:
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
ORegan

Albireo_818 wrote: While we're at it, let's make Lacus and Relena Newtypes as well :lol:
NO!

I'd shoot myself.

But speaking of Category F's...what does the F stand for? My best guess is Failure, which would explain why they hate being called it. Sort of like the "N" Word for superminded people.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Kavik Ryx

The whole problem with guessing who's a newtype or not is made difficult because I don't think anyone could give an absolute definition. Characters like Amuro, Camille, and Judau and perhaps the poster boys for Newtypes and have the label branded on them. Excluding X, there is no exact identification for newtypes. Mwu, LeCruset, and the whole La Flaga family could just as easily be considered category F as they're powers go no further than inter family communication. And based on Gundam X, just because you can flash, doesn't mean you're a newtype, or at least in the book of the Frost Brothers. So far, unless you're given the label, you're either a run of the mill oldtype or some sort of freak.
Albireo_818

ORegan wrote:But speaking of Category F's...what does the F stand for? My best guess is Failure, which would explain why they hate being called it. Sort of like the "N" Word for superminded people.
i thought F stood for fake.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Destroy Gundam

Were there any more Category F's aside from the Frost Brothers?
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.