Nadesico series discussion thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Recon 5 wrote:I've seen a number of images with the caption 'nice boat!' or something along those lines (depicting, of course, a boat and one of the male characters saying the phrase) which is purported to be from the ending of the Nadesico TV series. Is that true? If so, what is the relevance of this picture?
I don't know where you heard that, but Nice Boat has nothing to do with Nadesico, as it refers to the recent ending of School Days. The last episode was delayed because of some girl who killed her father with a knife in Japan. The episode featured murders with knives, so at the last minute the station broadcast a picture of a boat that said "Nice Boat" with music for the full 30 minutes. Given that the actual ending of the show involved a boat, the two have now become linked. If you're brave, you can watch the entire Nice Boat broadcast on YouTube.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Big B

I love how it takes on a lot of anime stereotypes (guy with chicks, mecha, over the top characters, etc.), makes fun of them, yet has great characters and is generally well-written. The spin with the Jovians using Gekiganger as their way of life was quite amusing.

It also could've been that this was the first series I watched after NGE, and it was quite refreshing. It's been awhile since I watched it, but it's been pretty well accepted when I've shown it to people just because it makes fun of itself in a sense.
HunterSeeker

Standing around 3rd favourite as all I had seen so far, behind FMP series and Tekkaman Blade.

The main story itself is great, but not on the comedic side of the show. Sure the comedies portrayed are funny enough, my focus will go upon the growth of the characters and their ideologies (especially about Akito's belief upon Gekigengar diminishes in the last episodes).

As for PoD......A few months ago I raised the argument of the movie getting a ridiculous ZERO here, and I still stand for that. Judging the movie is crap without the comedic elements is simply insane. If one really pay focus of the growth and changes of Akito and Ruri between the movie and the TV show (as well as the reasons behind), this movie will be among the best one. Not to mention the battle animations are pretty as well.
The final moment of each life is struggle.
Better speaking, we're always struggling, so every moment can be the end of our life.
Chris
Administrator

HunterSeeker wrote:As for PoD......A few months ago I raised the argument of the movie getting a ridiculous ZERO here, and I still stand for that. Judging the movie is crap without the comedic elements is simply insane. If one really pay focus of the growth and changes of Akito and Ruri between the movie and the TV show (as well as the reasons behind), this movie will be among the best one. Not to mention the battle animations are pretty as well.
Oh god, not this crap again. This was already discussed to death when it happened. The zero stars is Scott's OPINION, just as it is your opinion that you like the movie. There's no point in arguing over some other person's opinion, and on top of that, it's not the topic of this thread.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HunterSeeker

Chris wrote:
HunterSeeker wrote:As for PoD......A few months ago I raised the argument of the movie getting a ridiculous ZERO here, and I still stand for that. Judging the movie is crap without the comedic elements is simply insane. If one really pay focus of the growth and changes of Akito and Ruri between the movie and the TV show (as well as the reasons behind), this movie will be among the best one. Not to mention the battle animations are pretty as well.
Oh god, not this crap again. This was already discussed to death when it happened. The zero stars is Scott's OPINION, just as it is your opinion that you like the movie. There's no point in arguing over some other person's opinion, and on top of that, it's not the topic of this thread.
So? I'm just stressing the fact that some people judge PoD is crap because its mood is different to the TV series. And I stand against that. Which is the same reason I made for that argument before. End of story.
The final moment of each life is struggle.
Better speaking, we're always struggling, so every moment can be the end of our life.
Ork_dreadnought

HunterSeeker wrote:So? I'm just stressing the fact that some people judge PoD is crap because its mood is different to the TV series. And I stand against that. Which is the same reason I made for that argument before. End of story.
Seriously dude, stop. You've been warned and there is no realistic way you could win that arguement. There are greater problems with the movie than tone.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Recon 5

But objectively speaking, though, was it that bad? is there anything that we can evaluate logically (broken characterization is out of the question because it may simply be a creative difference on the writer's part)? Wooden acting? Lousy animation? Shallow story?

Reasons like 'They really butchered my favorite character' or 'They missed the point of the series altogether' shouldn't factor in because, like I said, the writer(s) can do whatever he/ they want to. Its only the QUALITY of the show as a whole that we should be evaluating, and not if they murdered the source material.
Gai Daigoji

the best term to describe the movie is ''a bridge to nowhere'' meaning there was going to be a sequel but it was cancelled for unexplained reasons. :(
Lets Gekiga-in!
VentZX

A bridge to no where is partly right, but an isolated island would be better. As we got it, it was so far removed from the events of the series that the plot makes little to no sense. A sign of a good movie is that it stands well on its own. PoD required knowledge of two obscure games that would never see the light of day outside of Japan. The plot of the movie is hence fundamentally broken.
Vectorspace

Two games? I know about Blank of Three Years, what was the other one?
Gai Daigoji

having seen the trailer for blank of three years before the movie, that was actually enough for me to understand the gist.

blank of 3 years was the only one you had to play the other game was a dating sim, non-canon.
Lets Gekiga-in!
Ork_dreadnought

Recon 5 wrote:But objectively speaking, though, was it that bad? is there anything that we can evaluate logically (broken characterization is out of the question because it may simply be a creative difference on the writer's part)? Wooden acting? Lousy animation? Shallow story?
Animation is ok, but the story is a mess. We have to accept a new nadesico crew and a new ship, and then all of a sudden there's a rush to reunite the original crew, who basically do very little. Even if we allow for the fact that its a continuation, and therefore difficult for newbies, the movie manages to put its established fans in the same boat. Akito's 180 degree change in personality, for example. Or a villian who I still don't have a clue about. There is too much going on, and too many characters.

The material may have made a good multipart ova or second series, but to be frank, any film that relies on a video game to fill in gaps is very poor indeed. See the Matrix sequels.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
wielder

Vectorspace wrote:Two games? I know about Blank of Three Years, what was the other one?
There's "Nadesico: the Mission" for the Dreamcast, which apparently takes place after the events in the movie.

You can see a video clip of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzkrSonp ... re=related

Doesn't seem to be much of a dating sim for me, at all, so I suppose Gai Daigoji was talking about yet *another* game, not this one.
Vectorspace

I'm tempted to say that The Mission is the game set after the film where they're looking for Akito, but it's the Nadesico B in that video, shouldn't it be the C?
Gai Daigoji

wielder wrote:
Vectorspace wrote:Two games? I know about Blank of Three Years, what was the other one?
There's "Nadesico: the Mission" for the Dreamcast, which apparently takes place after the events in the movie.

You can see a video clip of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzkrSonp ... re=related

Doesn't seem to be much of a dating sim for me, at all, so I suppose Gai Daigoji was talking about yet *another* game, not this one.
oops, i forgot about the mission, but there is a dating sim game on nadesico.
Lets Gekiga-in!