Sequels to Gundam's Past!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Old Gundam Sequels vs New Gundam

Old With New Storylines
42%
New Gundam Series
58%

Total votes: 31
Darkerangel

Sequels to Gundam's Past!

Kiggz wrote:I wouldn't waste much time in the past they just need to keep the new stuff coming and revive some of the older series I think After Colony and U.C both should get some new stuff like a movie/OVA or another series for atleast one of the time lines.

I wish A.C would get a new series or atleast a movie but probably wont happen I am just waiting for some more U.C :). Every gundam fan will be auto drawn into watchin another U.C series so I just wait because we all know ones coming soon.....
Kiggz brought up something that has been bugging me for a while...ever since 00 came out.

Now that we kinda see where Gundam 00 is headed, I was wondering. Do you all think more New Gundam series should be produce or should directors go back and do a sequel to previous Gundam series. For example, I know we have our mix views on G Gundam, but I think the ending said something about "See you in 14th Gundam Fight."

And I'm not saying you know...bring in the same characters and all no. I'm talking about brand new storylines, brand new characters...just in that universe, somewhat of continuing the story that came before it.
quasadra

anything goes for me as long as its not a full sequel to SEED Destiny. i dont think i can take much more of it :wink:
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Nightwing03

LETS HAVE 7 MORE SERIES OF SEED! =D

Just kiddin, well i would like to see a new U.C series, but maybe not computer drawn, do it in the drawing style of Zeta Gundam. I would maybe like to see a sequel to X since it really did get cut short...
♣♦♠♥
Homeless

I'd prefer new series, myself. Most of the AUs have had a fairly solid ending that doesn't really need a continuation, and I'd rather never see another Universal Century work again. Let the poor thing rest.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
mcred23

I really don't have a preference, as long as they show is done well, I really don't mind what universe it is set in. I personally wouldn't mind another UC show (But for the love of God, nothing before UC 0100. Leave the OYW and UC 0080's alone!), particularly one set after Victory (Partly to finally and completely deal with G-Saviour and Gaia Gear, and partly because I'd simply like to see something set after Victory). At the same time, I wouldn't mind a show set in one of the other AU's, or a show set in a totally new universe. But for the sake of voting, I picked "Old With New Storylines", although I could have picked either one.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Koshernova

mcred23 wrote:I really don't have a preference, as long as they show is done well, I really don't mind what universe it is set in. I personally wouldn't mind another UC show (But for the love of God, nothing before UC 0100. Leave the OYW and UC 0080's alone!), particularly one set after Victory (Partly to finally and completely deal with G-Saviour and Gaia Gear, and partly because I'd simply like to see something set after Victory). At the same time, I wouldn't mind a show set in one of the other AU's, or a show set in a totally new universe. But for the sake of voting, I picked "Old With New Storylines", although I could have picked either one.
While I do agree that we need to see more late-UC stuff, Bandai doesn't seem to want to let this happen due to poor model sales. It's a shame.

My take? I'll second what others have said: Gundam The Origin as an anime, or an otherwise modern re-telling of 0079 based on the novels and with the expanded universe stuff thrown in.
Bord

Hmmm... maybe an After Colony retcon with Katoki-fied Gundam designs. It doesn't have to be a retelling of AC 195-197, it could be set decades later.
VentZX

I voted new.

Do you know what I really want to see? A mash up, school drama Gundam show!!

You could have the different Universes be separate schools and so on. Heh, I'm partly joking, but I would so watch that.

On the other hand, while I love UC, I don't think I'd want to see anything set pre Char's Counterattack. We know that there's no chance in hell that we'll get animated versions of things like Sentinel and AoZ, so how about Unicorn for the 30th anniversary?

I'd even take another AU, though I'm plenty happy with 00 right now and would rather see it run its course before asking for another Gundam series. We also know that the SEED movie is coming out eventually so I'd like to see if that's any good at least. Who knows, maybe they'll redeem Shinn, or perhaps they'll just draw 'inspiration' from CCA and drop something on Earth...again.
Krogoth255

UC = the horse has been beaten to death and its cow is dry as the Atacama Desert.

AC = maybe something could happen.

AW = Maybe something that refers to seven space war. Just because it has similar archetypes to MSG doesn't mean it unfolded quite the same.

CC = Something on the war of Armageddon that its climatic battle had cause the Dark History. The whole series could be written as holograph that serves as a history lesson during Kihel's education to become new "Diana".

CE = It would have to be a completely new cast, setting *cough* storywriter, *cough* director *cough*.

FC = Maybe take the whole Gundam Fight into a new direction. Pure Real Robot compention?
Darn you F-Types!
ExhileVoid

We've already have a sequel to Gundam X with Under The Moonlight. I'm more interested in a prequel to Gundam X with the story of Jamil and the events that lead to nearly the entire population on Earth to become extinct during his last battle.
ShadowCell

Since the "no more Gundam at all for a few years" option is mysteriously vacant, I'm going with continuing down the new AU series road. UC has been beaten to death, revived, and beaten to death again, with a dead horse, and I've no doubt that if Bandai decides to pull the corpse out for another round, it'll be another One Year War story--and the One Year War is already starting to resemble the Star Wars Expanded Universe, so if everyone could just get over the fact that Zeon lost that war and the Federation won and now it's over, the world be a slightly better place.

The AUs have all pretty much been conclusive in their endings, and new universes generally provide more storytelling and setting flexibility, so if we must relentlessly continue the Gundam, I'd rather they go with the AUs.
Koshernova

But you see, this is the beauty of reviving 0079 with a Gundam: The Origin show.

I don't mean it should mean a total re-make of all of UC, that shouldn't happen. But let's face it: look at the novelisation of 0079, at Gundam The Origin, at the Gundam 0079 manga by Kasuhisa Kondo. All of these have told us the same story in a much more interesting, adult, complex manner.

Mobile Suit Gundam remains one of the top anime classics, permanently on re-runs like other big names such as Tetsuwan Atom. Both Atom and Tetsujin 28go have been remade, so why not 0079?

We could all do much worse than an anime based on Gundam: The Origin.
Strike Zero

As Red said, I really don't care as long as it's done well.

UC: Apparently I'm one of the few who feels that the older UC side stories NEED to be animated. Case and point.

FC: I like Krogoth's idea of a Real Robot Gundam fight. Kinda like the better version of IGPX.

AC: It would be neat, but they pretty much cut off any potential for a sequal with the whole "Mobile Suits were never seen again" line.

CE: Needs to be set in the futue. Like, FAR in the future. So far, that there's no way even the Ultimate Coordinater could still be around to mess things up. That, or he and the Pink Pacifistic Pop-star Princess need to die in a horrible accident some time before. Also, cloning no longer exists. Because it's just stupid.

As I said, even if they come up with an entirely new universe, I will enjoy it as long as it's good.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Chris
Administrator

While it would be nice to see The Origin animated, I don't think we need it. Between TV series and movie compilations, there's already enough complications. I don't want to see UC turn into something like an American superhero comic where you have all these different continuities for the same universe.

As far as TV series go, I think UC is dead. Next April will mark 15 years since the last UC TV series began airing, and the fact that there hasn't been another since is pretty telling. When Yasuhiro Imagawa was hired to direct G Gundam, he wanted to do a UC series and was told no by Bandai. Reportedly, Seiji Mizushima also wanted to do a UC series and was also told no. When it comes to UC, Bandai's interest most clearly lies in the OYW and more recently the Zeta era. They don't seem to be as interested in later UC much at all. I think we're going to continue to see more AU series every few years. So far, I think 00 has proven that Gundam still has some steam left in it and doesn't have to be the tired old "Earth vs space colonies" bit.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

As far as SEED's concerned I wouldn't mind seeing an animated Astray series

But preferably, I'd like to see what new ideas directors can come up with instead of re-making, or animating mangas
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
J-Lead

I must be the only one desensitized to the constant expansion of early UC (or UC in general,) at this point. There has just been so much that I don't even mind new OYW stories anymore, and I'd personally loev to see an OVA taking place during the Grypps conflict. :) (although something directly post-F91 or post Victory would definitely make me blow a happy fuse, in case my obvious Gundam WECT obsession didn't strike any of you.)

Aside from that, I totally agree with mcred23 (however you pronouce that); as long as it's well done and well directed, I don't care if it's an AU featuring martians attacking the Earth and it's colonies. (Okay, well maybe not that; we get enough aliens in Macross, but you get what I'm sayin' sayin'. :wink: )
Chris wrote:While it would be nice to see The Origin animated, I don't think we need it. Between TV series and movie compilations, there's already enough complications. I don't want to see UC turn into something like an American superhero comic where you have all these different continuities for the same universe.
Given all of the games, compliation trilogies, alternate timeline events, Evolves (some of which fit into the alternate timeline event malarchy,) mangas, doujins, photonovels, and such, not to mention Sunrise's unusally tight anus in regards to said side-stories, I think it's a little late for that I'm afraid. :(
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Chris
Administrator

J-Lead wrote:
Chris wrote:While it would be nice to see The Origin animated, I don't think we need it. Between TV series and movie compilations, there's already enough complications. I don't want to see UC turn into something like an American superhero comic where you have all these different continuities for the same universe.
Given all of the games, compliation trilogies, alternate timeline events, Evolves (some of which fit into the alternate timeline event malarchy,) mangas, doujins, photonovels, and such, not to mention Sunrise's unusally tight anus in regards to said side-stories, I think it's a little late for that I'm afraid. :(
I think you're missing my point. Most of what you mentioned doesn't even count as far as Sunrise is concerned, as they place almost all "official" status solely on animated works. In that context, when MSG already has a TV series and compilation trilogy, we don't need another animated work to come in and muddy the waters even more.

There's also another point regarding the Origin - how many more times do we need to hear the story of the OYW? As much as I enjoy Origin, I'm tired of animated OYW stories, and the endless stream of OYW video games. I'd much rather Gundam series go in new directions like Turn A or 00 rather than returning to the same tired old setting, even if that setting gets in impressive update like the Origin.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
J-Lead

Chris wrote:I think you're missing my point. Most of what you mentioned doesn't even count as far as Sunrise is concerned, as they place almost all "official" status solely on animated works. In that context, when MSG already has a TV series and compilation trilogy, we don't need another animated work to come in and muddy the waters even more.
Hence the tight anus remark on my part, but I'm pretty sure the better majority of the fanbase (especially the international fanbase) doesn't even know that, which, when taken into account, can lead to just as much confusion as the canon/non-canon events in the life of any given DC/Marvel Superhero. (The Gamespot boards taught me that much. :( )

While we're on that subject (and this is just my two cents, so take as you will,) I've always seen that "only animated works count" bit as sort of a poor way to look at it. It just seems to me that they could have delved a bit deeper and been a bit more descriptive, instead of putting the other 50% of the Gundam universe in the semi-official category. I don't like the term "semi-official" because it doesn't really tell you anything other than "Eh, I suppose some of it might have happened." (Although Mark's observations in this thread may indicate that they have already looked further into it as of late.)

Then again, I care little about that sort of thing anymore, as it didn't stop me from trying to figure out what goes on in the Formula Wars game for four and a half years.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
VentZX

Strike Zero wrote: UC: Apparently I'm one of the few who feels that the older UC side stories NEED to be animated. Case and point.
I truly would like to see a Unicorn animation, be it OVA or series. I know the chances are near zero (after all, Astray and Sentinel both had animated PVs like this one as well), but Unicorn just has such an interesting premise. It has nothing to do with the one year war and is set shortly after Char's Counterattack. In that respect, it feels almost like a continuation of CCA while expanding on the concepts of early UC. CCA era MS are some of my favorites, and the Unicorn is downright amazing. The fact that Audrey is in fact Mineva is pretty awesome as well.

Indeed, UC sees a lot of attention, but when you put it on a scale, it's the OYW and Zeta era side that weighs more. Post CCA has F91 and Victory. The sidestories and whatnot, none of it is official.

It is sort of depressing that Bandai seems to not like the idea of UC series as of late (though they seem to love there UC games and models), but I hope bandai and Sunrise have something planned for the big 30th other than 00 season 2 and the SEED movie. They may surprise us.
manmiles

I don't know, I'd rather that Gundam tried to keep doing something new and different each time than just going back to recapturing past glories. With the UC, how many times can devastating wars break out? That became my major issue with SEED/SEED Destiny, it wasn't anything new, it was everything we'd pretty much seen before, at least Wing had the psuedo-look and design of the European 19th Century and G had crazy martial arts madness while X was very much a post-apocalypse while Turn A was definatly the closest Gundam has gotten to steampunk. 00 feels a lot more 'real world events with mecha' than Gundam (which was very much World War 2 in space) has been for a long time and works in the shows favour by making the conflict a recognisable one.

I think that with the establishing of the Gundam AUs, the franchise should look foward to new storytelling possibilities and settings than going back to what worked in the past.

In my opinion.

Important words there.
Last edited by manmiles on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.