Really good editorial on the state of anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Quiddity

Honestly, though, I'd like to blame part of the decline on the way television (especially Cartoon Network) has treated anime. A dozen years ago, most of us would get home from school and watch Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, and other such exciting shows on Toonami five days a week, and quite a few people got into anime that way. Now, however, the last time I watched Cartoon Network (a year or two ago, so this might've changed) Toonami aired once a week (on Saturday nights, no less), while most of the good anime got shunted into Adult Swim, and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that spending loads of money to license something immensely popular like Bleach and then airing it at 2am is not a winning business plan.
Great point Gelmax, even though your timeframes are off (Gundam Wing was on a mere 8 years ago, not 12 :P). I'll always believe that the essential death of Gundam on TV is largely due to the horrific manner in which Gundam Seed was aired on TV. They screwed up so horrifically, whowever decided to air it one night a week, at far too late of a time, and with a horrific edit that made no sense at such a late hour that they killed the franchise's chances on TV (I heavily lean towards CN, but who knows, maybe Bandai deserves some blame too). A show from 1979 was never going to be a hit on TV, but as much as I dislike the show, Seed had a lot of potential and rather than even attempt to treat it like they did Gundam Wing they threw it in the garbage. Companies and networks shouldn't expect a succesful result when they treat a show like that. DVD sales would improve with adequate television airings for higher profile shows that at the very least can bring new people into the medium (like myself back in 2000 with GW). If they want to treat shows like they did Gundam Seed, so be it. It's their decision. Just don't expect a sales volume like you had a few years ago when the industry was in much better position and was treated much better on TV.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Kavik Ryx

This is a weird thought, but I think that part of anime's decline, at least in America, is a result of CGI. Sure shows today may look good, but quality is something many of them lack. Now, there are a lot of good show out there, but at this point they are at least 10 years old. Some even 20. While better quality may be found by searching through the classics, many viewers would probably find the animation to be awful. A few months back, I showed a friend of mine Zeta Gundam. While he thought that the show was good, he kept complaining about how dated it looked. Another friend of mine, who by the way is not a fan of the genre, hates it because of this fact. In my personal opinion, we're spoiled. We've seen so much high quality digital animation, that we cannot go back. America keeps getting new shows, but ignores older ones because viewers will take them for face value and think they're horrible. Well that's just my two cents on this.
Commissar Bright Noa

I blame Hot Topic.
mcred23

Quiddity wrote:I'll always believe that the essential death of Gundam on TV is largely due to the horrific manner in which Gundam Seed was aired on TV.
I'll agree that Gundam SEED's manner of airing didn't help matters, but I'd think more blame on Gundam's demise is due to the oft-forgotten SD Gundam Force that aired on Toonami prior to SEED, among other things (Mandala MSiA's being one thing). SD doubtlessly caused a bunch of "WTF is this?!" moments from a lot of people and it couldn't have had a good effect on the way things were done.
Kavik Ryx wrote:This is a weird thought, but I think that part of anime's decline, at least in America, is a result of CGI. Sure shows today may look good, but quality is something many of them lack. Now, there are a lot of good show out there, but at this point they are at least 10 years old. Some even 20. While better quality may be found by searching through the classics, many viewers would probably find the animation to be awful. A few months back, I showed a friend of mine Zeta Gundam. While he thought that the show was good, he kept complaining about how dated it looked. Another friend of mine, who by the way is not a fan of the genre, hates it because of this fact. In my personal opinion, we're spoiled. We've seen so much high quality digital animation, that we cannot go back. America keeps getting new shows, but ignores older ones because viewers will take them for face value and think they're horrible. Well that's just my two cents on this.
I'd say it's more due to animation and how it looks rather than simply CGI. Older animes do get that kind of dislike simply because of how they look (MSG was often ignored because of it's animation), but some of the newer, better looking shows (08th MS Team was one I always heard mentioned) gained something of a better following and did better on CN, which partly was due to it's better animation.

But you are right, with America getting newer shows, and many fans seeing even newer shows from Japan by various means, the bar for animation quality has gone up for most fans, and often people put far too much weight into how the show looks, rather than things like it's characters or story. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
foxpaws

As I explained in a previous post, the way Cartoon Network assigns a time slot to a show has a direct correlation to how much money Cartoon Network stands to make off the broadcast deal.

By the time SEED was scheduled to go on the air, the Gundam franchise was in steep decline - most of the money in the Gundam franchise is made from toys and gun-pla, and neither were doing well in the N. American market. Consequently, Cartoon Network stood to gain little from a revenue-share agreement. Little wonder, then, that Cartoon Network shoved SEED into a far-less lucrative time slot.

In summary, if SEED was given an unfavorable time slot, it's because Cartoon Network stood to make little money off the deal - it's not that Cartoon Network's unfavorable treatment of SEED is what caused a decline for the Gundam franchise. With regards to trying to understand what caused the demise of the Gundam franchise, a lot of folks have the cause and effect reversed. ;)

-- Keith

PS: with regards to the tail end of the SEED broadcast, the decision to shift the broadcast schedule had much to do with CN's reaction to what is now known as the "human popcorn incident." I'd opine that the creators of SEED brought that entirely upon themselves.
Gelmax

foxpaws wrote:The downturn in the N. American anime market means less revenue generated by anime companies, which in turn means less money for Cartoon Network under a revenue sharing agreement. Unless the brand in question has a significant revenue stream, such as Naruto, most anime titles as of late simply do not generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile for Cartoon Network, at least not for the most favorable slots.

Speaking of time slots, there's a direct correlation between the amount of money that Cartoon Network stands to make, and the time slot that is given to an anime show. Even for a show that is considered a fan-favorite, if the revenue-share agreement doesn't stand to make Cartoon Network a lot of money - or put differently, the anime licensor didn't want to fork over a lot of money - then don't be too shocked if the show winds up in a 2AM slot...

-- Keith
Even Naruto only airs once a week, though, and that's something I just can't understand about what they've done to Toonami. True, that's how often it airs in Japan, and maybe that's the way all shows air in Japan for all I know, but that is not a broadcast philosophy that works when you are marketing to kids and teenagers, which is pretty much Cartoon Network's entire demographic. It's even worse when that day is Saturday night, and anime is a very small part of their lineup any other night of the week except for Adult Swim (as far as I know, anyway; their website is maddeningly slow and unfriendly).
foxpaws wrote:As I explained in a previous post, the way Cartoon Network assigns a time slot to a show has a direct correlation to how much money Cartoon Network stands to make off the broadcast deal.

By the time SEED was scheduled to go on the air, the Gundam franchise was in steep decline - most of the money in the Gundam franchise is made from toys and gun-pla, and neither were doing well in the N. American market. Consequently, Cartoon Network stood to gain little from a revenue-share agreement. Little wonder, then, that Cartoon Network shoved SEED into a far-less lucrative time slot.

In summary, if SEED was given an unfavorable time slot, it's because Cartoon Network stood to make little money off the deal - it's not that Cartoon Network's unfavorable treatment of SEED is what caused a decline for the Gundam franchise. With regards to trying to understand what caused the demise of the Gundam franchise, a lot of folks have the cause and effect reversed.

-- Keith

PS: with regards to the tail end of the SEED broadcast, the decision to shift the broadcast schedule had much to do with CN's reaction to what is now known as the "human popcorn incident." I'd opine that the creators of SEED brought that entirely upon themselves.
A strong theory, but I think ultimately incorrect. First of all, Cartoon Network wouldn't really be able to guess at SEED model sales before SEED aired, given that they hadn't aired a "real" Gundam series since Mobile Suit Gundam in 2001-2002. When Cartoon Network started airing SEED, the only Gundam shows they had aired recently were SD Gundam Force and G Gundam, neither of which could really be used as indicators for SEED's popularity or performance, given that G Gundam was an entirely different genre and SD Gundam Force was a failure. I don't know how popular G Gundam toys were at the time, but given that the series had been airing on Cartoon Network for two whole years and was dropped around that time, and was (from what I recall) aired daily, I'd say it was only natural for sales to start dropping - I wouldn't think that the American market has quite the level of obsession with merchandise that the Japanese market does. Given that SEED was one of the inaugural shows of the new Saturday-night Toonami, I'd guess that Cartoon Network expected at least fairly decent performance from it.

Now, if SEED's model sales were low, that's pretty natural. I've never actually seen SEED, but I know enough about it to know that trying to turn it into a TV-Y7 show was the kind of mistake that dubbers usually don't make as often now as they used to. Wikipedia's description of the dub job is pretty incriminating, and that alone would be enough to alienate the obsessive otaku and collectors - who are, ironically, much more likely to spend unreasonable amounts of money on Gundam models than the kids that the show was marketed toward.

Now, as for the timeslot move, Wikipedia claims that SEED got moved to a horrible timeslot halfway through because of low ratings. Sure, it's Wikipedia, and there's no citation for that info, but it's believable enough in the absence of anything more reasonable and/or supported by proof. I'm not sure what the "human popcorn incident" you're referring to is, but since SEED was already complete by the time Cartoon Network started airing it, I would guess that Cartoon Network already knew about any such happenings when they chose the initial time slot in the first place.
Hyakushiki

When he mentioned the "Human Popcorn Incident" I think he was referring the episode where they fired the Cyclops System they showed pilots' bodies exploding inside their pilot suits like popcorn. I think the low ratings were due to lack of interest from age group they marketing to, and the complete lack of advertising for the series or the merchandise, or inability to find said merchandise in stores. Nobody's going to watch if no one knows the show is even on.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Derringer

Gelmax wrote:
A strong theory, but I think ultimately incorrect. First of all, Cartoon Network wouldn't really be able to guess at SEED model sales before SEED aired, given that they hadn't aired a "real" Gundam series since Mobile Suit Gundam in 2001-2002. When Cartoon Network started airing SEED, the only Gundam shows they had aired recently were SD Gundam Force and G Gundam, neither of which could really be used as indicators for SEED's popularity or performance, given that G Gundam was an entirely different genre and SD Gundam Force was a failure.
You're forgetting that you know that different Gundam shows are different and have different audiences in mind. The mentality of the N. American audience and also the N. American companies was that any show with "Gundam" in it must be just like the other shows with "Gundam" in it. This is exactly how they thought that the original Gudam would have the same success as Gundam Wing. It didn't matter whether or not gundam merchandise from another show wasn't related because they were under the assumption that it was reflective of gundam as a whole. Foxpaws's reasoning would be correct in that regard.
foxpaws

I was employed at Bandai America at the time SEED was being broadcast on Cartoon Network. I certainly won't claim to know all the details and figures regarding the Bandai/Cartoon Network agreement for SEED. However, what I wrote was based on what I learned from the Gundam brand manager during my employment at Bandai.

Gelmax is right in saying that Cartoon Network couldn't have known in advance what the sales figures would be for SEED. However, as Derringer correctly notes, Cartoon Network did base their projections on the "Gundam" brand as a whole - and with the exception of Wing, most subsequent "Gundam" shows did not make Cartoon Network as much money as they would've liked. They didn't see any reason to believe that SEED would reverse what they had experienced in the past, and their projection regrettably turned out to be correct.

-- Keith
Last edited by foxpaws on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kavik Ryx

Because they made it correct, it was a self fulfilling prophecy. They believed it would fail, and they made it happen. Given the proper treatment, SEED would have worked. And besides, just because 0079, SDGF, and I think G failed, did they ever take the time too realize that 0079 was 25 years old, SDGF did just as bad in Japan, and the G was nothing like Wing. I say it was a poor business choice. Gundam is such a gigantic series that there are degrees of separation between them, and comparatively, SEED and Wing are rather close. That justification is a biased assessment. Maybe I mean skewed, but it's one or the other.
foxpaws

I agree with Kavik that Cartoon Network's handling of the show certainly didn't help matters at all. That said, Gundam toys in general (post-Wing) just weren't performing in the marketplace prior to the SEED broadcast. I'm not convinced that better care on Cartoon Network's part would've generated a corresponding increase in performance for the Gundam toys in the N. American marketplace at that point, and so I personally can't blame Cartoon Network for thinking along those lines.*

If I had to pin the responsibility on something, I'd personally point to the mismatch in age demographics between the show's intended audience (older) and the consumers for action figures (younger) in N. America. That's not something Cartoon Network can fix with preferential treatment for a show.

-- Keith

* Toy retailers, including Bandai, display their upcoming merchandise at Toy Fair each year to gauge retailer interest. After the poor performance of past Gundam merchandise, response to the not-yet-released SEED product was tepid at best - the retailers were far more interested in devoting shelf space to Power Ranger and Tamagotchi. The lack of interest from the retailers wasn't lost on Cartoon Network, and it certainly wasn't Cartoon Network's responsibility to do something on their end to change the attitudes of retailers.
Quiddity

As I explained in a previous post, the way Cartoon Network assigns a time slot to a show has a direct correlation to how much money Cartoon Network stands to make off the broadcast deal.

In summary, if SEED was given an unfavorable time slot, it's because Cartoon Network stood to make little money off the deal - it's not that Cartoon Network's unfavorable treatment of SEED is what caused a decline for the Gundam franchise. With regards to trying to understand what caused the demise of the Gundam franchise, a lot of folks have the cause and effect reversed.
As others have already pointed out, the biggest problem I see with how they handled it however was that they took the lack of success from post Gundam Wing shows (none of which was ever treated as well as GW it should be pointed out, even G Gundam got less than half the amount of weekly airings that GW got) and acted like that automatically meant that Seed would bring little success. They didn't even try to air it in a manner similar to Gundam Wing. You say that Seed got an unfavorable slot because CN stood to make little money from the deal, I say that CN stood to make little money from the deal because they moronically aired it one night a week, at far too late a time, on one of the worst days of the week (probably only worse than friday) for TV ratings, and with an edit that would have a good chance of turning away even the older fans. It's one thing if CN had documented evidence that Gundam SEED (not just Gundam, the distinction has to be made) was going to bring them poor ratings and little money based on a reasonable television airing. Had they treated it like Wing and had the returns after a month been horrific ratings, that's one thing, and I'd fully agree with significantly reducing its air time. They didn't even bother trying that. They tried it in a manner that was guaranteed from the start to never be a success.

Not disagreeing with you Keith, but I think CN was incredibly short sighted when it came to Seed and while they didn't cause the decline of the franchise on TV, they definately caused the death of the franchise on TV because of how they handled it. I haven't said that Seed's airings caused the demise of Gundam. The demise/decline of Gundam was due to multiple factors including bringing MS Gundam over way too soon, overloading the market with Gundam shows, overloading the market with Gundam toys, and the overall decline of the anime market in general. But Seed's airing did cause the death of Gundam's chances on TV because it performed so poorly. And I will always believe that had CN thought things out better with respect to that airing it would have performed a lot better and we'd be in the position where Seed 2 and Gundam 00 would have the ability to air on TV rather than the 0% chance that they now have of ever airing.
Even Naruto only airs once a week, though, and that's something I just can't understand about what they've done to Toonami. True, that's how often it airs in Japan, and maybe that's the way all shows air in Japan for all I know, but that is not a broadcast philosophy that works when you are marketing to kids and teenagers, which is pretty much Cartoon Network's entire demographic. It's even worse when that day is Saturday night, and anime is a very small part of their lineup any other night of the week except for Adult Swim (as far as I know, anyway; their website is maddeningly slow and unfriendly).
Right again Gelmax! Gundam Seed is a very slow moving show. Airing it only once a week KILLED it. Anyone who had watched the show before airing it would know that fact. How things work in Japan is not how things work in America. It would never be a success in America airing only once a week. People's attention span for such a slow moving show can't last for an entire year.
strong theory, but I think ultimately incorrect. First of all, Cartoon Network wouldn't really be able to guess at SEED model sales before SEED aired, given that they hadn't aired a "real" Gundam series since Mobile Suit Gundam in 2001-2002. When Cartoon Network started airing SEED, the only Gundam shows they had aired recently were SD Gundam Force and G Gundam, neither of which could really be used as indicators for SEED's popularity or performance, given that G Gundam was an entirely different genre and SD Gundam Force was a failure. I don't know how popular G Gundam toys were at the time, but given that the series had been airing on Cartoon Network for two whole years and was dropped around that time, and was (from what I recall) aired daily, I'd say it was only natural for sales to start dropping - I wouldn't think that the American market has quite the level of obsession with merchandise that the Japanese market does. Given that SEED was one of the inaugural shows of the new Saturday-night Toonami, I'd guess that Cartoon Network expected at least fairly decent performance from it.
I think what the problem ended up being with G Gundam is that they flooded the market with piss poor minor Gundams that appeared in only one episode of the show and the market rejected those. Similar to the anime market in general a few years ago that flooded the market with too much stuff, they created way too much stuff and that is a core reason why the toy market was in a poor position when Seed aired. I don't think its reasonable to infer that the failure of a Matador Gundam or some other random Gundam that was in 2 minutes of a single episode of G Gundam meant that the main Gundams from Seed couldn't sell.
When he mentioned the "Human Popcorn Incident" I think he was referring the episode where they fired the Cyclops System they showed pilots' bodies exploding inside their pilot suits like popcorn.
A thing I always have thought that they should have purged from the TV airing entirely. Seed fans can complain all they want about the edits, I don't care. Certain things have to be done to get a show airing on TV in the first place.

It's also a significant flaw I see with the show itself, that it has at times very childish plots, very childish characters and very childish character designs, yet contained scenes of such violence that the show could be misenterpreted as having to air only late at night, which of course is what happened.
However, as Derringer correctly notes, Cartoon Network did base their projections on the "Gundam" brand as a whole - and with the exception of Wing, most subsequent "Gundam" shows did not make Cartoon Network as much money as they would've liked. They didn't see any reason to believe that SEED would reverse what they had experienced in the past, and their projection regrettably turned out to be correct.
Although it should be noted that the main reason why their projection ended up being correct is because they aired it in such a manner that it was guaranteed to fail from the start. Seed had huge potential. Its unfortunate that because they made such horrible decisions when it came to airing the show that we'll never know whether it actually would have succeeded. Despite my complete hatred of the show, I'll always think that the show could have been very successful had they treated it in a manner similar to Gundam Wing.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
foxpaws

There's no question that Cartoon Network didn't have the level of understanding of the Gundam franchise that we have: namely, that each Gundam show is a distinct entity and should be judged separately. As others have noted, Cartoon Network took the performance of the overall Gundam brand as an indication of future performance, which I think everyone can agree was a real shame.

Nonetheless, there's still the fundamental issue of the mismatch in age demographics between the show's intended audience and the primary action figure market. I'm not convinced that better treatment for SEED on Cartoon Network's part would've done much to alter that. Sure, hardcore Gundam fans may buy action figures - but the mainstream action figure market is considerably younger, and also considerably larger than the hardcore segment.

-- Keith
Kavik Ryx

Then CN suffers from poor business decision, which is probably a contributing factor to anime's decline, or at the very least Gundam. Though Keith, do you happen to know whether CN holds the exclusive rights to airing Gundam in North America, or is the distribution in the hands of Ban Dai Entertainment?
foxpaws

I should note that I was a web designer, and not part of the marketing department, so my understanding of the situation is based largely on what others have (or have not) told me. I did have close working relations with the Gundam brand manager at the time, but that's really about it.

That said, to the best of my knowledge, Cartoon Network does not have any exclusivity when it comes to Gundam broadcasts. I don't think CN would care one way or another if a future Gundam show were to be broadcast on an entirely different network.

As for Cartoon Network's role in the entire situation, their mandate is to find and broadcast shows that make them money, not to help find a way for Bandai to successfully market and sell toys - that's Bandai's job. While I'd agree that Cartoon Network's failure to grasp the precise nature of the Gundam franchise led to some regrettable decisions with regards to the scheduling, I also think it's far from the primary cause for Gundam's downfall stateside.

I'm sure most folks are well aware of this, but as far as the Gundam franchise is concerned, the shows aren't the primary product - the toys are. The shows are essentially one gigantic toy commercial to drive sales for the toys and gun-pla, which along with video games can account for around 75% of the revenue for the entire Gundam franchise.

With this in mind: exactly what, and how much, could any of the involved parties have done to close the gap in age demographics between the shows' primary audience and the toys' primary market in N. America? How much responsibility lies with Bandai Co. Ltd? How much with Bandai America? How much with Sunrise? How much with Cartoon Network? And how much of it simply cannot be altered? Ideally, any business needs to play to the preferences of a given market; it's much tougher (and almost always unsuccessful) to attempt to fundamentally change the buying habits of said market.

On a somewhat related note, after the toy franchise folded, Bandai Co. Ltd. decided that the demographics for Gundam shows and accompanying video games were a far closer and better match. (Kids are moving from the sandbox to the Xbox at increasingly younger ages, a phenomenon that has affected the entire N. American toy market, and not just Bandai.) In any case, I think that would've been a far more viable franchise, if not for the fact that Crossfire turned out to be such a dud. (But we're straying off-topic at this point, so I'll save my rant about the Gundam video game franchise for some other time.)

-- Keith
Gadget

I think we are going off a tangent. This is not about the failure or Cartoon Network or Bandai. It's about the challangers of anime in the the internet world.

But this is my 3-cents view. Seed was a badly made Gundam series. There is so much flamming on Seed, Seed:Destiny, Kira, Freedom (yada,yada,yada) that many times the mods have to step in to cool things down or even lock the thread.

Seed is more meant for Gundams otaku like us. What really fail the Gundam in America is the series itself. Not Cartoon Network business model or screening time. Although I have to agree that there was an overflood of Gun-pla toys around.

Having said that, I think there is the same problem in Macros:Zero. It has one of the best dogfight I've ever seen. But the story is not on par with Macross Plus. Eye candy can only boost sale so much. It need to create real fans to buy toys and DVDs.
Quiddity

Gadget wrote: But this is my 3-cents view. Seed was a badly made Gundam series. There is so much flamming on Seed, Seed:Destiny, Kira, Freedom (yada,yada,yada) that many times the mods have to step in to cool things down or even lock the thread.

Seed is more meant for Gundams otaku like us. What really fail the Gundam in America is the series itself. Not Cartoon Network business model or screening time. Although I have to agree that there was an overflood of Gun-pla toys around.
The problem with that statement though is that the same statement can be made about Gundam Wing. Now I personally love Gundam Wing, I'd say if it wasn't for a general decline in the final 10 episodes or so, it would be right up there with Zeta Gundam as the best Gundam has to offer with me. But the show gets bashed a lot on the web, much like Seed. I think Seed is absolute crap. It's a horrific show. But I think it shared many of the marketable aspects which contributed to GW being a success. Gundam Wing was able to overcome the perceived flaws that many fans see in it and was a very succesful show. I think at the very least Seed had the chance to be a similar success, but they never even bothered trying. They used it in a format that due to the show's probably most significant flaw, its slow pace, was going to absolutely kill it.
Gadget

Slllooowww ppaaacccee???? Try getting through the 'World Martial Arts Contest' in Dragonball. Have anyone timed how long does it takes for a basketball player in Slamdunk to run from one end of the court to the other. I could have done a few laps already :roll:

G-W,like G-Gundam, tries to break away from boy steal Gundam and turns out to be an ace, type of story. It was not the best, but it did introduce Gundam to America. I personally thought Seed was worst. And Destiny, with its many flashback to act as time filler, was just irratiting.

I'm just hoping Gundam 00 will turn things around. At this rate, I think not many people will want to download Seed.
Koshernova

The Tenkaichi Budoukai in the original Dragon Ball were among the most exciting, fun stories, usually punctuating long story arcs with non-stop action and quirky, crazy characters. I don't know if you meant DBZ by that statement, but I remember always looking forward to new Budoukais in the original show :P
oldtype

in the editorial, it mentioned that ppl want their fansubbed anime within days of the japanese airing. why not just try to beat the fansubbers at their own game? or join them? it would require north american companies to work VERY closely with the japanese ones almost like a co-production, but if they can air subbed versions of the anime at around the same time or just a few days after, then there would be no real need to download. it may also help keep garbage anime out of north america, since it may not be feasable to send translation teams to do all the anime that airs, they'll need to pick which may be successful. asking for a dub would be a bit much. possible, maybe, but more difficult. not a huge deal, as kids need to learn how to read anyway.
not sure if this will work, some opinions would be great.