Turn-A

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DAG101

Turn-A

okay, what do you think is the timeline for Turn-A (as in, what universes in what order). don't bring in anything about the universal continuity thing being unofficial here, though.
one I saw went something along these lines:

After Colony (Wing, Endless Walts)
|
|
V
BC/AD (now)
|
|
V
UC (MSG through Victory)
|
V
FC (G-Gundam)
|
V
CC (Turn-A)

this one explains why Wing is so different from modern day, and why there are so many FC tech in Turn-A.

what do you think?
Chris
Administrator

But it IS unofficial, so no matter what you read anywhere else or what people post here, it's all just speculation that isn't supported by anything from Tomino or Sunrise.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ali-Sama

What chris said. in addition the tech is not fc but uc. Early and late zeon tech.
One year war zeon tech to cca. Zaku 1 and 2's. the under water mecha. the gallop etc.
It is a what if for uc, same as X.
If you take Seireki which is a word play on the way you say ce/common era in Japaneses. the addition of CC being correct century and pronounced that would. would imply that ce 2345.
It is strongly Implied that the original gundam 0079 took place in ce 2159

This would place the uc series in the following setting in uc/ce/cc
Chronologically

Mobile Suit Gundam: uc 0079 / ce 2159 / cc 2159
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team: uc 0079 / ce 2159 / cc 2159
Mobile Suit Gundam: War in the Pocket: uc 0080/ ce 2160 / cc 2160
Mobile Suit Gundam: Stardust Memory: uc 0083/ ce 2163 / cc 2163
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam : uc 0087 / ce 2167 / cc 2167
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: uc 0088 / ce 2168 / cc 2168
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack: uc 0093 / ce 2173 / cc 2173
Mobile Suit Gundam F91:uc 0123 / ce 2203 / cc 2203
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam: uc 0153 / ce 2233 / cc 2233
Turn A Gundam: uc 0265 / ce 2345 / cc 2345
turn a would a 153 years after victory. If my logic holds water.
Ali
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
Chris
Administrator

Sorry, but your logic is off. Depending on if you go by the TV series or movies, the Correct Century is 5,000 or 10,000 years after the previous space era. There's no way that that such a massive population would develop on the moon, or that Earth's civilization would be completely destroyed and reborn (with people completely forgetting about mobile suits) in so short a time.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ali-Sama

Chris wrote:Sorry, but your logic is off. Depending on if you go by the TV series or movies, the Correct Century is 5,000 or 10,000 years after the previous space era. There's no way that that such a massive population would develop on the moon, or that Earth's civilization would be completely destroyed and reborn (with people completely forgetting about mobile suits) in so short a time.
probably. CC could be a relable of uc.
cc 2334 being uc2345
that would make it 2,192 years after victory and 2,266 years after the original. this woudl also make it in the year 4424. that makes more sense.
Ali
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Big Zam

Chris wrote:But it IS unofficial, so no matter what you read anywhere else or what people post here, it's all just speculation that isn't supported by anything from Tomino or Sunrise.
I'd say there's at least one Sunrise produced, Tomino directed series that strongly hints at the possibility... what was it called again?

None the less, lets see if we can at least entertain a conversation about the Correct Century's progression without being interrupted every few posts with a friendly reminder that "Turn A's a whole other universe so it doesn't matter anyway, now stop talking."

Anyway, on topic: It's important to consider the state of the Gundam franchise at the time when Turn A came about, if we only include the timelines that 'existed' at the time of Turn A's inception, it's actualy quite easier to fit them togeather:

(Modern Era)
|
|
UC (Introduction of mobile suits, concludes with large space-faring populations, colonised moons (and planets?) with most of mankinds population centered around earth and earth-based colonies.)
|
|
AW (Shortly after a UC-style civilization is reduced to rubble by a massive drop of UC-style O'Niel Island 3 colonies, promenantly involves a period of reconstruction.)
|
|
AC (After reconstruction, new colonies are built, flying Taurus style, mobile suits are reintroduced, with the hulking Tallgeese serving as proof that the tech still exists and subsequently being miniaturised to the more V-scale Leo)
|
|
FC (Wing concludes with the earth unified as one territory, but colonies remain somewhat independant. The Earth Unified Nation steadily declines, untill it is more or less controlled by the larger colony nations which gradualy becomes these wierd floating asteroid things...)
|
|
|
Black History (Earth gradualy recovers, and, eventualy, instigates a war with the space colonies. The conflict escalates and mobile fighter technology, which by now has advanced quite a bit, is reapplied to mobile suits, as is existing recorded technology from the past, such as Psychommu systems and Mobile Dolls. There's actualy quite a bit of drama to be had in this unknown story, eventualy the colonials literaly strap rockets to their hulls and run off to the unknown regions of space, and the conflict still escalates, as they send the Turn X back to engage in the conflict. What's more, the Turn A Gundam (or at least, a Turn A Gundam) is used against the Earth in a catastrophic deployment of the Moonlight Butterfly. After this conflict, the Moonrace proceeds to spread their influence in space, maintaining a tight control of their population in order to prevent overcrowding, they none the less manage to produce or recover quite a few great works. At one point I beleive a moonrace officer talks about having an operational Keilas Guilie! Or was that something else?)
|
|
|
CC (Earth is gradualy recovering from the the devastating Moonlight Butterfly incident, and slowly but surely people are rediscovering radio, and as such, those few fortunate to have them are noticing a great deal of activity... Anyway, you know the story from there.)

It becomes much harder to introduce the Seed and 00 timelines to the story, as they seem to necessitate another round of catastrophe and rebuilding.

Of course, it's just as possible that Tomino intended for the Black History to be a Super Robot Wars style all-inclusive timeline where the gyst of the same events from all those series would occur in a relatively inclusive time albiet convoluted manner.
My mother insisted on jay-walking, I insisted on obeying the law. Wouldn't you know, I almost got hit by someone running a red light. - Hello, I'm Big Zam.
Recon 5

Big Zam wrote:None the less, lets see if we can at least entertain a conversation about the Correct Century's progression without being interrupted every few posts with a friendly reminder that "Turn A's a whole other universe so it doesn't matter anyway, now stop talking."
Actually, thats the most true statement that can be made about the issue. I believe that the best thing to do would be to use a chronology that follows the order of the various Gundam clips we see onscreen during the history lesson, no matter how impossible it may seem.

MY assumption, though, is that Tomino just made a barrage of shout- outs to all previous Gundam series. He probably never intended to play mind games with his viewers.
Kavik Ryx

Considering Tomino, I would guess that he would leave the history entirely up to the viewers. Personally I would have to agree with UC-AW-AC-FC-BH-CC. Logically there is some sense to it. The 7th Space War would fit into perhaps somewhere like UC 250, or 200 if you ignore Gaia Gear. After some time, people would expand out into space ala AC, fast forward another 200 years or so, technology that to us would be rubber and a wanting to maintain the peace would bring rise to FC, granted then there is your missing link BH, or as I prefer EC, there are the events of the Black History and then welcome to CC 5000 years later.
Mark064

Big Zam wrote:Black History (Earth gradualy recovers, and, eventualy, instigates a war with the space colonies.
Ok I think you are a bit confused. Black History refers to combined history of the world pretty much everything in the past this does not refer to a specific time as you have set out but everything. In other words all previous eras are a part of Black History.
At one point I beleive a moonrace officer talks about having an operational Keilas Guilie! Or was that something else?)
Gym is the one who actually mentions this and more so the Turn X Top is the controller for it. However it's not the same thing as we know of in Victory Gundam. The description in the novel says something like it's the most powerful weapon ever created by humans. Obviously not the same thing as we know in Victory Gundam.

Now as for fitting the timelines together it's pretty much impossible. The way Dark History is supposed to work is that humanity goes through many cycles of going into space then leaving the solar system to colonize other planets. This is pretty much impossible to fit what series happens after what as the previous generations most likely don't have much knowledge of the last. So the inspirations of the Principality of Zeon wouldn't have any effects on the Space Revolutionary Army or ZAFT.

As Chris stated the Turn A Gundam series/movie put a timeframe of when UC was 5000 or 10000 years ago depending on which version you go on. Since the Moonlight Butterfly was used on the Earth around 2345 we still have at the very least at least 2600 years of history. Ignoring Gundam 00 at the moment we then have UC, FC, AC, CE, AW and possibly PW (Pre-War) prior Gundam X timeline. Now really right there at last seen that's barely a total of 500 years of history. Which is barely 1/5th of the ammount of time required to fill on the minimum timeframe.

In order for this all to fit the timelines would have continued on much longer then what we saw in the anime alterting them in unknown ways. Just look at the example of First Gundam to Victory Gundam and how the Universal Century has evolved in just 74 years. This means that any connections drawn by comparing UC to AW or anything to anything else isn't going to work out as the comparison is made in the wrong timeframe. You'd have to compare the end of a timeline to the start of another of course since we don't know anything about the end it's impossible.
Big Zam

Mark064 wrote:Ok I think you are a bit confused. Black History refers to combined history of the world pretty much everything in the past this does not refer to a specific time as you have set out but everything. In other words all previous eras are a part of Black History.
Sorry about that, I was just using the term 'Black History' to cover the specific conflict during which the Turn A did its thing before Loran dug it up.
My mother insisted on jay-walking, I insisted on obeying the law. Wouldn't you know, I almost got hit by someone running a red light. - Hello, I'm Big Zam.
Ali-Sama

Big Zam wrote:
Mark064 wrote:Ok I think you are a bit confused. Black History refers to combined history of the world pretty much everything in the past this does not refer to a specific time as you have set out but everything. In other words all previous eras are a part of Black History.
Sorry about that, I was just using the term 'Black History' to cover the specific conflict during which the Turn A did its thing before Loran dug it up.
Another dilema is the use of ad in the timelines.

Ad leads to uc

Ad leads to fc (cities etc destroyed due to colony/astroid falls in uc are present in fc.)

We dont' know about ac. We do know ac starts with the first settlement in space. It could be after ad.

Af seems to b ea what if follow up of uc. though. it makes no sense to recalibrate the timeline.

cc is an un known

Ad leads to ce.

gundam 0 is the ad/ce era. So there is nothing confusing about it.

None of the series that start out in the ad/ce era can be joined. realistically. You cannot have a repeat of wwii other historical events, usa etc. all happening over again. that is silly. Plus they would have found traces of existing stuff. Lost tech. Like how they did in cc.
best,
ali
Mark064

UC and FC's connections to AD have long been removed. Currently only CE and 00 use the AD timeline.
Wingnut

Mark064 wrote:UC and FC's connections to AD have long been removed. Currently only CE and 00 use the AD timeline.
Oh? When did that happen?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mark064

This happened quite a while ago really maybe 10 years ago? Maybe longer? Timelines these days of series will start off with the first year and not AD.
Zerosystem

At one point I beleive a moonrace officer talks about having an operational Keilas Guilie! Or was that something else?)
IIRC, the palace of Queen Dianna was supposed to have been a salvaged Squid class, from Victory Gundam, as well. No source on that, or even an image, though.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
Koshernova

Mark064 wrote:This happened quite a while ago really maybe 10 years ago? Maybe longer? Timelines these days of series will start off with the first year and not AD.
Yes, but while there is no AD date equal to UC 0001, it is well understood that it is a new calendar that continues on from AD. After all, it is clearly stated in all sources I've read that the UC calendar is adopted when the first colony's construction begins. Something had to come before, and we know there are several references to AD peppered throughout Gundam, as imprecise as they are.
Mark064

Not exactly in previous books you'll find dates of AD and UC side by side. For example if you look at the timeline in Entertainment Bible 1 you'll find dates like those used in High Frontier's Universal Century Master Timeline. Which include formation of the Earth Federation, Launching of the first solar power satellite and so on in AD. However the one thing that has remained constant is basically the quote you'll find on Gundam Offical:
UC 0001
With Earth's population at 9 billion, an ambitious space colonization program begins. The calendar is changed to the Universal Century era.
Of course you pick up a more recent timeline you'll find basically that line as the starting date. Of course the UC timeline started from something except Sunrise has made sure to eliminate AD as that starting point. So any such understanding of UC continuing from AD has long been removed. Some vauge tiny text in the anime that appears once or twice has no meaning to Sunrise. No more different that the start of the AC calendar.
Koshernova

I suppose this is another case for Detective Mark, the Gundam Fan that Stole My Heart...

(and that means Mark Simmons, not you Mark064 :P No hard feelings!)
Recon 5

From the quote, the AD equivalent of 0001 would simply be the year the Earth's population touches the 9 billion mark. Not very far off, I reckon, unless the headcount stabilizes soon.
Akuma_Blade

Turn A Gundam's Capule and ZZ Gundam's Capule is like almost same. Similarly, TurnX999 and God Gundam's ultimate attack is "Shining Finger"

Though , I never think timeline-to-timeline between connections. Previously theory (UC+FC+CC idea) exclusively fanboy-style theory. Already Tomino refusing similar theories.