Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 pm 
Offline
Creepy Bishonen
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 240
Hyakushiki wrote:
Kummen is another region of planet Melkia.

Ah, thanks for that. Another question - after I finish the series, which OVA should I watch first?

Basically, does the chronological order of the OVAs matter?

_________________
ohhhh snap


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4654
Location: Miami, FL
After you finish the TV series, you should watch the OVAs in this order:

Roots of Ambition
Pailsen Files
The Last Red Shoulder
Big Battle
Shining Heresy

Of course, Shining Heresy has never been subtitled, so watch that at your own risk.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 am
Posts: 11
You could watch The Last Red Shoulder OVA after the TV series Uoodo City story arc and before the Kummen Jungle arc.
It's set between those two arcs and I don't think it would spoil anything that follows.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:38 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4654
Location: Miami, FL
gale_wolf wrote:
You could watch The Last Red Shoulder OVA after the TV series Uoodo City story arc and before the Kummen Jungle arc.
It's set between those two arcs and I don't think it would spoil anything that follows.


It kinda would since it features characters from Roots of Ambition that don't otherwise appear in the TV series.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:59 am 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 am
Posts: 11
Chris wrote:
gale_wolf wrote:
You could watch The Last Red Shoulder OVA after the TV series Uoodo City story arc and before the Kummen Jungle arc.
It's set between those two arcs and I don't think it would spoil anything that follows.


It kinda would since it features characters from Roots of Ambition that don't otherwise appear in the TV series.

I see your point, but LRS was released to cover the gap between Uoodo and Kummen well before the prequel release of ROA. And those characters from ROA don't affect anything that happens in the TV series after LRS. But that's just my opinion, not trying to be argumentative here. Prequels always cause problems :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 am 
Offline
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 4748
Location: In the back of the Party Van
I watched VOTOMS in chronological order from the beginning (Roots, PF, TV series, etc). The major problem I'd say is in regards to Pailsen
Spoiler: show
The OVAs build Pailsen up as the grand villain, the man who kept screwing around with Chirico's life and would otherwise be the final boss in most senarios. However, he gets killed off pretty unceremoniously in Last Red Shoulder. Yes, I know this is because the OVAs were made after the TV series, but I'm speaking from the perspective of watching it in chronological order.


Naturally this doesn't make the franchise any worse. I proudly own the TV series on DVD. After finishing Pailsen Files, I went out and bought it rather than download it. I'm so proud of myself :lol:

_________________
"There are no strings on me."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:36 pm 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:53 am
Posts: 796
Location: Michigan
You know what, I saw Shining Heresy a few months ago after watching everything else (including Pailsen Files) and I have to admit it kinda redeems Chris's favorite character in Gundam: Bernard Monsha cause I swear that was a guy in Shining Heresy whose name I forget (doesn't help that I saw it RAW) that looked exactly like him which also kinda adds the Irony that it uses the same animation as 0083 I think?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am 
Offline
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 4748
Location: In the back of the Party Van
VOTOMS final chapter has been announced:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ext-spring

I hope we'll be able to watch it without knowing what goes on in Shining Heresy.

EDIT: New designs for Vanilla and the gang.

_________________
"There are no strings on me."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 am
Posts: 11
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
I hope we'll be able to watch it without knowing what goes on in Shining Heresy.

We shouldn't have to. Assuming that article's correct that this will be set 26 years after the TV series, then it occurs before Shining Heresy which is set 32 years after the TV series.
Spoiler: show
I wonder what the new OVA series will contain since Coconna, Gotho, and Vanilla don't appear in Shining Heresy.

I'd like to see Shining Heresy retconned since
Spoiler: show
the ending sucks and kinda defeats the whole point of Chirico and Fyana's story.
I recall hearing that Shining Heresy was supposed to be 12 eps but was cut short by office politics and without telling the story that Takahashi wanted. 12 eps cut to 5 sounds like a lot of story left out. He supposedly hated the final result and said he'd never return to that time in the Astragius Galaxy because of Shining Heresy's flawed ending. Also something or other about not letting creative control for VOTOMS be taken by anyone else because they'd screw it up.

I don't know whether this is all true or not, but after watching Shining Heresy I can well believe it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:06 pm 
Offline
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 4748
Location: In the back of the Party Van
gale_wolf wrote:
We shouldn't have to. Assuming that article's correct that this will be set 26 years after the TV series, then it occurs before Shining Heresy which is set 32 years after the TV series.


The article is just saying that the OVA will be released 26 years after the airing of the TV series. Doesn't say anything about the in-series timeline.

Can't say anything about Shining Heresy, but Chris did spoil it on Gundamn, so I can say that particular aspect of the OVA sucks big time.

_________________
"There are no strings on me."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 am
Posts: 11
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
The article is just saying that the OVA will be released 26 years after the airing of the TV series. Doesn't say anything about the in-series timeline.

Oops, that was just me skimming over the article and seeing "26 years" then immediately jumping to the wrong conclusion. I stand corrected :D


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:34 am 
Offline
Lackey GM Pilot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:36 am
Posts: 66
I can't even find Shining Heresy anywhere. Have been looking for it for a while now.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:49 am 
Offline
HiMAT Spammer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:41 am
Posts: 857
Location: Nor-Cal
Hopefully this will mean an increase in Votoms related paraphernalia. Since Pailsen files ended everything has pretty much fallen off as well.

_________________
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:45 am 
Offline
Creepy Bishonen
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 240
Oh man, another sequel! That's really awesome news.

But... 'fro-less Vanilla? =(

_________________
ohhhh snap


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:40 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4654
Location: Miami, FL
gale_wolf wrote:
We shouldn't have to. Assuming that article's correct that this will be set 26 years after the TV series, then it occurs before Shining Heresy which is set 32 years after the TV series.


You're misreading what the article says. It says "26 years after" the original series aired, not that it's set 26 years after the original series. Which looking at those character designs, wouldn't be possible anyway. Gotho was already an old man in VOTOMS, and 26 years later he should look even older or dead. And Vanilla and Coconna would look middle aged, not as updated versions of their old designs. If I had to guess, I'd say this OVA is set in the year between Chirico killing Wiseman and being put into deep freeze with Fyana. A year is a long time, and only a small part of it has been covered with the "Big Battle" OVA.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 pm 
Offline
Monster of the Week
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm
Posts: 1797
Location: Expatriating in Tel Aviv
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
VOTOMS final chapter has been announced:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ext-spring

I hope we'll be able to watch it without knowing what goes on in Shining Heresy.

EDIT: New designs for Vanilla and the gang.



Wow, the new character designs look like they came out of Baccano or something. Not quite what I would expect from VOTOMS, but I can dig it.

_________________
Taka Tora Bata

http://nihonreview.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14 pm 
Offline
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 4748
Location: In the back of the Party Van
Vanilla/Coconna OTP!

Well, no sign of Chirico on the character page. Maybe this OVA really will just be about what Gotho and the gang were up to after the TV series.

_________________
"There are no strings on me."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:28 pm 
Offline
Creepy Bishonen
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 240
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Vanilla/Coconna OTP!

Well, no sign of Chirico on the character page. Maybe this OVA really will just be about what Gotho and the gang were up to after the TV series.

Hmm. They were awesome as supporting cast, but I can't really see them maintaining an entire show on their own.

_________________
ohhhh snap


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 am 
Offline
Creepy Bishonen
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 162
Any word on Takahashi directing? I would assume so, since he's directed everything in the franchise so far I believe including the newer Pailsen Files.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOTOMS
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4654
Location: Miami, FL
Ryvius wrote:
Any word on Takahashi directing? I would assume so, since he's directed everything in the franchise so far I believe including the newer Pailsen Files.


Not quite. He directed everything except Merowlink.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Discussion » Anime and Manga


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: