VOTOMS

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8, Destiny_Gundam, Kenji

Gundamium Alloy
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by Gundamium Alloy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Been looking to purchasing another solid classic mech series and wasn't sure which one to look in to and research. This one sounds interesting. I noticed that this sereis was done by the same gentleman that did Gasaraki; if I didn't like Gasaraki which I didn't should I stay away from this one? Also, I can't stand when a serious-toned mech series has silly fan service scenes. I stayed away from Evangelion just because of that. Does Votoms have those moments? Does anyone also know if the series is in stereo or simply mono? I saw the entire boxset for under $95 and it looked good and was thinking about it.

Hyakushiki
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Post by Hyakushiki » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:16 pm

VOTOMS is about as far from fanservice as you can get, it's a gritty war drama that pulls no punches, if Armor Hunter Marrowlink is anything to go by. If I were in your position I'd get it in a heartbeat it's a definite must buy.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!

User avatar
Kavik Ryx
Monster of the Week
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Expatriating in Tel Aviv
Contact:

Post by Kavik Ryx » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:23 pm

From what I have seen of VOTOMS, i.e. Merowlink, Roots of Ambition and Pailsen Files episode 1, the series doesn't even try to put itself in a position that could lead to potential fanservice. Heck, I don't think the Red Shoulder Document had a single woman in it.

User avatar
Chris
Bald Wizard
Posts: 4528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Gundamium Alloy wrote:Been looking to purchasing another solid classic mech series and wasn't sure which one to look in to and research. This one sounds interesting. I noticed that this sereis was done by the same gentleman that did Gasaraki; if I didn't like Gasaraki which I didn't should I stay away from this one? Also, I can't stand when a serious-toned mech series has silly fan service scenes. I stayed away from Evangelion just because of that. Does Votoms have those moments? Does anyone also know if the series is in stereo or simply mono? I saw the entire boxset for under $95 and it looked good and was thinking about it.
Although there are some similarities, VOTOMS is quite different from Gasaraki. It's much more...straightforward and easier to follow. As others have said, there's about zero fanservice (aside from naked Fyana in TV ep 1), and there's very few women in the franchise. Anime on DVD's reviews for the remastered box set say it's in 2.0 stereo, but that's probably a remix. At the time VOTOMS was produced in 1983, most TV anime series were in mono. I would definitely recommend the series.... it's essential viewing for any mecha fan.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Gundamium Alloy
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by Gundamium Alloy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:29 am

I turned on my tv this morning and to my surprise Votoms has started airing on On Demand. The first 7 or 8 episodes are available thus far. I watched the first one and part of the second and I have to say I'm impressed so far. The main character reminds me very much of John Rambo. Being isolated from his team and the whole "you're expendable" thing going on. Not to mention his drive to break free and stay alive. Animation is actually not too bad. I actually like the "old school" sketchy look to these older shows. It seems a bit better than the original Gundam series but not up to Zeta's standards. The music is dated but I love it.

What about the whole religion thing? I thought I read somewhere about the series being a bit controversial because of the subject of religion. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm still debating whether I should pick up the series to add to my collection.

User avatar
Chris
Bald Wizard
Posts: 4528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Gundamium Alloy wrote:What about the whole religion thing? I thought I read somewhere about the series being a bit controversial because of the subject of religion. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm still debating whether I should pick up the series to add to my collection.
I won't get into the whole religion thing because that would be spoilers, even though it's not prominently discussed until the last arc. Anyway, If you've seen some of the show yourself now and are impressed, there's no need to debate whether or not to get it.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

User avatar
bluemax151
Elitist Earth Politician
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Nor-Cal

Post by bluemax151 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:29 am

It's definitely worth the $89.99 RightStuf is asking for it with free US economy shipping.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010

MechaGear
Cardboard Leo Ace
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:40 pm
Contact:

Post by MechaGear » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:21 pm

The CPM boxed set release is beautiful. It's not every day your DVDs come in a metal ammo case! = D Plenty of extras, too, and the included booklet is a great read.

Votoms is a total classic, and it's definitely a must-have for all us die-hard mecha enthusiasts (chances are if you're a member of this forum and you're reading this topic, the box set is worth your money ^_^). However, I've got to say that its touted realism can be a bit two-faced at times. Even though the style and design of the show are consistently gritty and low-tech, the story itself gets pretty outlandish, and it's anything but a realistic portrayal of war. I don't want to discuss any huge spoilers in a general topic like this, but anyone who's seen the whole series knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I have to admit that Mobile Suit Gundam still portrays a much more believable view of soldiers in a time of war, despite its flashier designs and storytelling leaps of faith. Votoms' strength lies in its moral ambiguity and innovative atmosphere, but considering how much it improved on the "look" of Gundam, I was surprised by how much of a step backwards it took in terms of the realism of its characters and the political organizations in the show.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what other fans of the show have to say about it.

User avatar
Votoms4life
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:16 am

Post by Votoms4life » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

I love Votoms.

The scopedogs are some of the coolest mecha out there.

Gundamium Alloy
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by Gundamium Alloy » Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 pm

I have now seen Votoms through episode 30. Just started the 3rd arc which seems to be set in space again. I enjoy the change in setting with each arc. This show has been amazing. It has been getting better with each episode. Great mechs and story. Looking forward to the rest of the series even if the 4th arc is the weakest which I've heard some say.

Thanks to the podcast for recommending this one!

User avatar
Kavik Ryx
Monster of the Week
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Expatriating in Tel Aviv
Contact:

Post by Kavik Ryx » Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 pm

I've finally gotten Uodo City, and seen the first three episodes. So far I'd have to say that I am most impressed with the perfectly captured atmosphere; one which captures the ugliness in people.

User avatar
Chris
Bald Wizard
Posts: 4528
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Post by Chris » Tue May 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Gundamium Alloy wrote:I have now seen Votoms through episode 30. Just started the 3rd arc which seems to be set in space again. I enjoy the change in setting with each arc. This show has been amazing. It has been getting better with each episode. Great mechs and story. Looking forward to the rest of the series even if the 4th arc is the weakest which I've heard some say.

Thanks to the podcast for recommending this one!
I can't say I've ever heard anyone say the Quent arc is the weakest one in the show. What I've seen most commonly (and what I feel myself) is that Uoodo is the weakest arc. Anyway, glad you enjoy the show based on Gundamn's recommendation.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Gundamium Alloy
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by Gundamium Alloy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 am

Are there any other shows out there along the lines of Votoms? I didn't think I'd like Votoms at all but after the first episode I was hooked. What are some similar shows? If any.

Gundamium Alloy
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Re: VOTOMS

Post by Gundamium Alloy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I have just about finished Votoms and can say it is a pretty good show...I love the old school animation. Good story. Recommended. Something about the animation though...I do seem to prefer the style over the newer stuff. I like the traditional sketchy feel of the drawings without the help of computers I guess.

User avatar
SOCL
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: VOTOMS

Post by SOCL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:25 pm

I tried to locate the series, but I'm confused about what constitutes the "first" part of the story (which DVD) and what is the "chronological" first part of the story. Is the "Uoodo City" DVD the "first" DVD to watch, or...? On Amazon I can't seem to find new copies that aren't sold through third parties, which isn't bad but makes me worry about getting a Hong Kong-style pirated version (as I have in the past, inadvertently, with 0083 and Cowboy Bebop).

Also, on a side note, Netflix carries the subsequent DVDs, but not Uoodo City... :?
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080

User avatar
gale_wolf
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 am

Re: VOTOMS

Post by gale_wolf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm

SOCL wrote:I tried to locate the series, but I'm confused about what constitutes the "first" part of the story (which DVD) and what is the "chronological" first part of the story. Is the "Uoodo City" DVD the "first" DVD to watch, or...? On Amazon I can't seem to find new copies that aren't sold through third parties, which isn't bad but makes me worry about getting a Hong Kong-style pirated version (as I have in the past, inadvertently, with 0083 and Cowboy Bebop).

Also, on a side note, Netflix carries the subsequent DVDs, but not Uoodo City... :?
You'll find the chronological list earlier in this thread, but "Uoodo City" is the first part of the original TV series and probably the best place to start.

User avatar
SOCL
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: VOTOMS

Post by SOCL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm

gale_wolf wrote:
SOCL wrote:I tried to locate the series, but I'm confused about what constitutes the "first" part of the story (which DVD) and what is the "chronological" first part of the story. Is the "Uoodo City" DVD the "first" DVD to watch, or...? On Amazon I can't seem to find new copies that aren't sold through third parties, which isn't bad but makes me worry about getting a Hong Kong-style pirated version (as I have in the past, inadvertently, with 0083 and Cowboy Bebop).

Also, on a side note, Netflix carries the subsequent DVDs, but not Uoodo City... :?
You'll find the chronological list earlier in this thread, but "Uoodo City" is the first part of the original TV series and probably the best place to start.
:| Lately, I've been bad at finding the information I need. :oops:

Can anybody suggest a retailer where to purchase the series? Are the third-party sellers on Amazon generally trustworthy or am I at risk of getting ripped-off with a pirated DVD?
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080

User avatar
Amadi Akintunde
Elitist Earth Politician
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: VOTOMS

Post by Amadi Akintunde » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 am

I must say that I've been getting into this too. While the mech designs aren't as flashy or showy as you would normally see today, they are impressive and, may I say it, realistic. No matter how much a chicken walker "makes more sense" to some others. They all seem to be appropriate sizes for weapons of war, and they're not "hey I'm over here" white.

Gritty, violent and an engaging story. I'm watching Pailsen Files and noticing the Youtubers complaining about the 3D animation. Seriously, the 3D models make it even better to watch.

Downside is that I can't find any of the other series, though. So I feel more or less lacking.

User avatar
TakaTahuNuva
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: VOTOMS

Post by TakaTahuNuva » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Ha, I was just thinking about making a VOTOMS topic. I'm halfway into the show right now, and enjoying the hell out of it. Definitely a must-see for any mecha fan.

One thing I'm not sure if they ever clearly explained - is Kummen the name of the whole jungle planet, or is it simply another area in the Uoodo planet?
ohhhh snap

Hyakushiki
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Re: VOTOMS

Post by Hyakushiki » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Kummen is another region of planet Melkia.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests