VOTOMS

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Genocide

VOTOMS

I've just recently started to watch the original series, and although I've only covered a dozen episodes, I'm pretty hooked on the show. I really like the design of the ATs, and this is perhaps the most "real" real-robot anime I've seen in that the main character's machine is the exact same as what the grunts use. Chirico is also a fairly interesting character and I found him to be a welcome change from the typical angsty teenager we see in most Gundam shows. I also found it interesting that they gave him the Newtype chime in a few episodes. Given how many mecha shows between the early 80s and mid 90s use the same sound effects though, I guess it's a symbolic gesture to some sort of unique ability he has.

If anyone else has seen the entire series or part of it, or any VOTOMS animation for that matter, what are your opinions? No major spoilers, please.
djdrastic

I think it's pretty awesome , however is is extremely slow in the beginning and I think that puts off a lot of mecha fans.I still haven't completed it yet as it's a fairly hefty 52 episodes but I'm really loving up to where I've watched it so far.
Recon 5

A bit of a spoiler alert- if you think that Chirico's using a grunt mech as opposed to a super prototype is refreshing, you might want to be warned that he gets a mid- series upgrade to a unique unit just like your average hero.
Chris
Administrator

Recon 5 wrote:A bit of a spoiler alert- if you think that Chirico's using a grunt mech as opposed to a super prototype is refreshing, you might want to be warned that he gets a mid- series upgrade to a unique unit just like your average hero.
Ehh not really... he only gets a super powerful suit near the very end, and only for a few episodes. For almost the entire series, he's switching between grunt mecha faster than most people switch their underwear.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Leroy Landers

I think VOTOMS is one of the best mech anime ever made, it's a shame more people don't give it a chance because it's dated and isn't very flashy.
Mark064

Votoms truly was great, I believe my first exposure to this was Merrowlink which I loved. When the series was put out on DVD I bought it and watched it all, I really loved the Quent arc most of all. Chirico was really a great pilot without relying on some whacky experimental prototype mecha or what not. By now I've seen all of Votoms animated, well I didn't watch those compilations of the series arcs but I really didn't feel like watching them. Lately I've been playing the PS2 game which is alright as well.
djdrastic

I just think the pure length of the show puts people off .In the age of 4-26 episode Mech animes it's really hard to convince people to watch a 52 parter.

That said the comments on here are really positive on the whole series and I can't wait to finish this show.Leroy and Mark , how would you compare Votoms to Gasaraki ?
Co-Host:Worlds Manliest Podcast
http://tissuekins.podbean.com
Chris
Administrator

djdrastic wrote:I just think the pure length of the show puts people off .In the age of 4-26 episode Mech animes it's really hard to convince people to watch a 52 parter.

That said the comments on here are really positive on the whole series and I can't wait to finish this show.Leroy and Mark , how would you compare Votoms to Gasaraki ?
I really don't see the show's length as being a problem. After all, most Gundam shows are about 50 episodes, and shounen anime fans have no problem watching shows that span into the hundreds of episodes. It would probably be an issue for a show like Dougram, which is not only very old but also 75 episodes, as well as the mammoth 110 episode episode Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

As for VOTOMS and Gasaraki, there's definitely some similarities. The TA is a pretty realistic mecha, and it's even more limited in what it can do than an AT. There's also certainly a parallel between Yushiro Gowa and Chirico Cuvie, because they both start out as cold characters who are caught up in large conspiracies but grow over time. However, Gasaraki is very deeply rooted in politics and Japanese culture, so I think that's a major turnoff to Western fans. The first episode also drops the viewer into the middle of the story without explaining anything, and I've seen screenings where people openly lampoon the show just for that. VOTOMS is grounded in more of that Western-style hard SF approach, which instantly makes it easier to get into and more appealing. That's not to say Gasaraki isn't a good series - it is - but it's definitely not for everyone.
djdrastic

Chris wrote: I really don't see the show's length as being a problem. After all, most Gundam shows are about 50 episodes, and shounen anime fans have no problem watching shows that span into the hundreds of episodes. It would probably be an issue for a show like Dougram, which is not only very old but also 75 episodes, as well as the mammoth 110 episode episode Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

As for VOTOMS and Gasaraki, there's definitely some similarities. The TA is a pretty realistic mecha, and it's even more limited in what it can do than an AT. There's also certainly a parallel between Yushiro Gowa and Chirico Cuvie, because they both start out as cold characters who are caught up in large conspiracies but grow over time. However, Gasaraki is very deeply rooted in politics and Japanese culture, so I think that's a major turnoff to Western fans. The first episode also drops the viewer into the middle of the story without explaining anything, and I've seen screenings where people openly lampoon the show just for that. VOTOMS is grounded in more of that Western-style hard SF approach, which instantly makes it easier to get into and more appealing. That's not to say Gasaraki isn't a good series - it is - but it's definitely not for everyone.
Yeah you're right about the series length , haven't tried to watch a Gundam show in like 5 years or so ;) Somewhat off-topic , I love those little life quips at the end of the Votoms episodes.
bluemax151

The great thing about Votoms is that the tech base is so relatively low to anything else featuring robots/mecha it makes it seem plausible. It's also got that whole post apocalyptic technology has actually degraded to some extent feel like Warhammer 40k. When I first watched the show I wasn't instantly in love but after the whole Voodo City arc and the into the Kummen Jungle Wars I was pretty much a fan.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Ascension

I love the show, but I've been unable to obtain (through offline means) the last half of the series. I've seen through the end of Kummen Jungle, but that's it. I'm going to break down and just buy it online one of these days, I'm sure, but I really prefer purchasing things from actual stores.

You're right about Chirico not really getting any breaks upgrade-wise. I absolutely adore the Red Shoulder Custom, but it lasted through what, one, maybe two fights? (Been a while since I've watched the Uoodo arc)

EDIT: The only downside to VOTOMS is that watching it makes me want to melodramatically shout "FYANA!!!" randomly during the day.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Zeonic Glory

^ I have the same problem with stores. I'll just see if I can get my local Best Buy, Borders, or FYE to order one....

I love the mech designs and the story is very interesting. The designs seem like some of the most real designs that I have seen in Mech series.

Gotta love the good ol Scopedogs.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
bluemax151

Ascension wrote:You're right about Chirico not really getting any breaks upgrade-wise. I absolutely adore the Red Shoulder Custom, but it lasted through what, one, maybe two fights? (Been a while since I've watched the Uoodo arc)
From what I recall the Red Shoulder Custom Chirico had during the Voodo arc wasn't actually up to the specs of a true Red Shoulder Custom but rather the best he could do with what he had available. Just goes to show he makes the most of what he has.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
djdrastic

Are the other Votoms OVA's worth picking up / searching for ?
Genocide

I've just reached the two-dozen mark and must say, these recent episodes where they're fighting in the jungle/river areas remind me a lot of the battles in 08th MS Team. I'm starting to like the supporting pilots, especially Ru Shako and his AT (I think it's the Berserga?), and even Ypsilon. In a way, he seems like the typical "good bad-guy" who's destined to end up on the end of Chirico's sword.
Mark064

djdrastic wrote:Are the other Votoms OVA's worth picking up / searching for ?
Yes I've seen all the Votoms OVAs and they were all good pieces of work and definetly worth watching. Shining Heresy is probably the worst of the lot but not bad either.
Hiryu02

Can anyone tell me what time Pailsen Files occurs in relation to the original TV series? Better yet, a timeline of each anime OVA would be appreciated.
Chris
Administrator

Hiryu02 wrote:Can anyone tell me what time Pailsen Files occurs in relation to the original TV series? Better yet, a timeline of each anime OVA would be appreciated.
Pailsen Files is set before the TV series. Anyway, here's a chronological breakdown:

Roots of Ambition
Pailsen Files
TV series eps 1-13
The Last Red Shoulder
TV series eps 14-52
Big Battle (set during 1 year timeskip in ep 52, but should be watched after)
Shining Heresy

Armor Hunter Merowlink is a separate, though tangentially connected story, so you can watch it concurrent with the TV series or separate.
Hiryu02

Thanks very much, I saw the first 2 Pailsen files and just started on the tv series. I just didnt want to see things out of sequence. That was exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
WingZero20xx

i love this show

i was so lucky to find the boxset at an fye for 50 bucks