Stardust Memory error?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kratos

Mark064 wrote:However I find this sort of hard to believe as Basque's own speach in 0083 blames it on the Delaz Fleet. That is unless we want to read his speach in a different way and that somehow it was the Delaz Fleet which made the colony go of course, then prevented the EF from stopping it, or something silly like that. Some days I have to wonder how far the IQ has dropped by UC Gundam or how little the EF things of it's citizens intelligence.
I sorta take Bask's speech as being his proposal to the higher-ups in the EF government concerning the formation of the Titans, put as a voice-over rally style speech for the sake of dramatic effect. It makes the most sense to me that way.

The entire "introduction" of the Titans was probably the thing that disappointed me the most about 0083 (and that series was a verifiable ocean of disappointment). It had so little impact, and seemed like such an afterthought. Hardly the ominous lead-in that the Titans needed, especially since their formation was the entire thing that the events of 0083 were meant to lead up towards.
Last edited by Kratos on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark064

Except it's not a proposal speach. His last line in the speach is something to the effect "with this the Titans are born!". I can't remember the exact wording at the moment. His speach is declaring that the Titans are now around, and it's because of the threats to the Earth and those Zeon guys. Plus since we are seeing this as being broadcast I can only assume this is on TV to everyone not just to EF bases.
Kavik Ryx

I think Bask was not referring to the Delaz fleet, but rather Spacenoids in general. Perhaps his message was that the Spacenoids allowed this to happen because they sympathize with Zeon, much like with current Middle Eastern issues, where one nation will be attacked having nothing to do with what actually happened.
Mark064

Since his speach seems to have been forgotten here it is.
Look back! This incident was caused by the idealists who dreamed in peace of the Earth system! The Delaz Fleet uprising is just one example! You needn't look at the drop of the space colony 3 days ago which devestated the North American granary to realize our Earth is exposed to many different threats! The Earth! To ensure this symbol of the universe is never shaken again, we have been born! The Earth! To return true power to its hand the Titans now rise!
Phantomexe87

Why does he keep yelling 'The Earth!"... seems kinda weird. And really 'her' would sound better than 'it'.
Kratos

Well, that clears THAT up.

Although, I seem to recall the Delaz fleet making a broadcast of their own, directed at the general public, so people already knew about them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a cover-up, doesn't it?

On a semi-related note, check out how it never really explains just what the Titans are, what their actual purpose is. He just tosses a few vague words around about defending the Earth from idealists. Hell, the whole speech barely makes any sense at all!

Man, I have such a hate-on for 0083's Titans intro scene.
Mark064

Phantomexe87 wrote:Why does he keep yelling 'The Earth!"... seems kinda weird. And really 'her' would sound better than 'it'.
Her would be, but since it's originally Japanese and I was just copying from thae subtitles blame that. Japanese wouldn't have "her". Regardless to answer your question the Titans were very Earth-centric so I guess the writers were trying to capture that with his speach.
Kratos wrote:Although, I seem to recall the Delaz fleet making a broadcast of their own, directed at the general public, so people already knew about them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a cover-up, doesn't it?
From what the anime says the only coverup was for the Gundam Development Project. So any knowledge of the GP02A that Delaz showed off would be deemed a fake I guess. If nothing else the Federation would have to admit the Delaz Fleet exists and to go further would simply be 2 + 2 math.
On a semi-related note, check out how it never really explains just what the Titans are, what their actual purpose is. He just tosses a few vague words around about defending the Earth from idealists. Hell, the whole speech barely makes any sense at all!
Based on the speach alone he seems to be stating that theTitans exist to ensure that the Earth is on top of the universe for now and always. And to ensure that the Titans are in power, one would assume that any non Earth-centric group is doomed to failure as they'd hinder the Earth.
Kratos

Well, sure, the speech means all that once you look at it, but can you imagine that speech being given to the masses? It's too awkwardly worded to be a truly great rally speech. Adolf Hitler (or even Gihren Zabi), Bask Om is not. Maybe it sounds better in Japanese.