Anime Cameos and References

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

As much as I love shows that make blatant references like Hayate and Lucky Star, I kinda like references that are more subtle, such as Arika using Dendoh's Sword of Akatsuki

Also, on the Nanoha note, Signum is based off Lamia Loveless. They have similar personalities, their ultimate attacks are bows and they even have the same voice actress.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mark064

Destiny_Gundam wrote:As much as I love shows that make blatant references like Hayate and Lucky Star, I kinda like references that are more subtle
I agree with that, while shows like Lucky Star are great but the subtle references beat out because they are unexpected.
Last edited by Mark064 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kavik Ryx

Ideon has quite a few shout outs to Gundam, the most obvious being the reference to the Gundam Nebula. Also episode 18 features a poster of Char Aznable, a Haro toy shows up from time to time, and Tomino himself shows up in episode 6 and Be Invoked.
Wingnut

Recon 5 wrote:
Dygenguard wrote:
Hyakushiki wrote:The Lyrical Nanoha series has it's fair share of references from various super robot shows and even Super Robot Wars.
There's a lot of comparison between Subaru/Teana and Kyosuke/Exellen.
Plus Zest (I think that's his name) has a striking similarity to Zengar. And his showdown with Signum was pretty epic, as everything Zengar does is.

And just for the record, the StrikerS staff admitted to being fans of mecha. Kind of makes sense since mecha and magic girl anime often have so many similarities. Thank you, Uncle Go Nagai.
Ya know, someone made a MAD movie of the Nanoha transformation sequence using the GaoGaiGar transformation soundtrack. The timing fits perfectly, even when you include the sound effects.
Check the Random Video thread for said video.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
NewtypeS3

There's a couple of cameos from better-known anime in Megazone 23, part 1 as well.

Mr. T shows up during the first musical interlude, Lupin the III and Jigen Daisuke play cops, and Max Sterling/Jenus winds up appearing in the background briefly.
I'll try to grab screenshots in a little while.
Zeonic Glory

I just saw Hayate no Gotoku episode 4 and I found some references. Hinagiku's older sister holds the sword the same way that Saito Hajime from Rurouni Kenshin and even says his infamous Slay Evil Immediately line. One of the teachers was building a Char's Zaku II model kit. Those references make it so much funnier.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

Guys,

I found these pics in other Gundam forums showing the seed characters such as Kira and Athrun in 00.

Kira shopping new spam parts for his improved ultra awesome freedom in the upcoming seed movie. :lol:

Athrun is running away from his tyrannical overlord Cagali by hiding in AD universe :lol:
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Mark064

The Athrun picture is clearly a fake as he stands out badly. Plus I confirmed the same thing in the episode. Kira I noticed it when I watched it too, it's possible it's him or just a generic person.
Newtype87

It might not be an "anime" cameo per se, but in one of the Orb episodes in Gundam SEED (post Jesus getting his Freedom), for a few moments you can see an animated version of Nami Tamaki's "Believe" music video. I can't remember exactly what episode, but I think its the one right before the Drug trio show up, when the leaders are talking about evacuations. I just thought that was a little meta for Gundam.

And I still love all of the mecha cameos in the last three episodes of G Gundam. Man, Wing Gundam looks so much better without all the extra red.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Cybaster

And who can forget GEAR Fighter Dendoh's tribute to Super Robots? (Of particular note, Raideen's bow and the Combattler V's Chodenchi Yoyos...)

Oddly enough, they remembered Xabungle, too. :P
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Nightwing03

Oh yes, i just rewatched some FMP episodes and some code geass, and it seems that they advertise for a few companies, like FMP advertising Heineken Beer and Lipton ice tea, and obviously Code geass advertising for Pizza Hut =D
♣♦♠♥
AU_Gundam MK II

About anyone could look like "Kira". Heck, I even think that he could've been Kaoru from Ai Yori Aoshi. Same voice actor, only Kaoru was done better.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Dygenguard

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Also, on the Nanoha note, Signum is based off Lamia Loveless. They have similar personalities, their ultimate attacks are bows and they even have the same voice actress.
Wow. I can't believe I missed that. It even crossed my mind at one point: "Signum sounds a lot like someone I've heard before...but who?" O_O
Athrun is running away from his tyrannical overlord Cagali by hiding in AD universe
Clearly 'Shopped. :x

I also heard the new Genshiken series is making a lot of references to stuff. Is this true and how so?
Ougi: Guren Maengun!!!
Mark064

Well since I watching Urusei Yatsura last night and there were a bunch in one episode I decided to screen shot.

Tetsujin Ok he appeared in an earlier episodes but might as well throw it out now.

The rest appeared in an episode with some masked "ball".

Mazinnger Z
Zaku II
Alien Ok not really anime but still worth mentioning.
Char Aznable