Anime Cameos and References

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Nightwing03

Anime Cameos and References

Well, since i just re watched both FMP! series, i noticed that there were some references to other anime. Like in one episode where the gang go to some festival and there is like an olympics for Arm Slaves, there was a guy that wore a sleeveless red shirt, aviator glasses and had blonde hair which look alot like Char Aznable. Another thing that got me thinking was that he mentioned something like "3 times faster." That made me think that they based this character on Char. Another one is that in the Second Raid you see people that look alot like characters from Death Note (light and L).

My point is, are their any other anime that have cameo's or references to other anime?
Last edited by Nightwing03 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
♣♦♠♥
Draco Starcloud

Gurren-Lagann has several cameos. Squidward, Asuka and Rei, one of the women from FLCL, and the Autobot and Decepticon emblems are the only ones I can think of though.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Mark064

Um mountains upon mountains do. Here are a few I have handy pictures of.

First Ok this is some people dressed as Star Wars characters and ET in Ginga Shippu Sasuraiger

Second White Base in Ginga Shippu Sasuraiger.

Third A GaoGaiGar duel monster in YuGiOh GX.

Fourth Tetsujin 28, Raideen and Daitarn 3 in First Gundam.

Fifth Bleach reference in Gintama mountains in this show.

Sixth Ideon Gun in Keroro, millions in this show.

Seventh Various old school movie people in Daitarn 3, a few more there too that I didn't post.

Eight Gold Lightan in Urashiman.

Ninth Getta Tomohawk in Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu.

Tenth Harry Ord sunglasses in Yumeria... I think.

Eleventh Ga Keen parody in Happy ☆ Lucky Bikkuriman.

Twelfth Hokuto no Ken and Haruhi reference in Lucky ☆ Star, quite a few here too.
Nightwing03

Wow there are quite alot, im liking the Harry Ord one :P Also i think i've seen the Autobot and Decepticon logo and the Squiward thing in Gurren Lagaan. Also i think they made a cameo of Gai-King or soemthing that looks like that. But that Bleach one cracks me up... :D
♣♦♠♥
Antares

There are often a lot of pop-culture reference dropped here and there (maybe the title a bit different, etc.), but between anime-shows... Well, as Nightwing mentioned, FMP has some: FMP - Fumoffu has one rather blatant joke on Gundam Seed's expense (the onsen -episode) that was thoroughly hilarious when I first saw it. That reminds me, gotta see that again. :D

And I have to say the people of GSD have redeemed themselves to an extent in my eyes by being a part of Gundam Seed Character Theater. I wasn't expecting them to be that ready to make fun of themselves. Maybe I'm just a big kid but I found those funny.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Ork_dreadnought

What 5 posts in, and no mention of Martain Successor Nadesico? Shame on you all. True, it doesn't lend itself well to screen shots, but its a loving parody of mecha anime. Examples include:

The Getta Robo inspired, show-within-a-show, Gekigangar 3.

The Star Trek inspired uniforms and ship design.

The core fighter inspired Aestivalis robots.

The many many plot similarities to MSG.

I think we'd have to start a thread on its own to pick apart this one.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
AmuroNT1

Hey, if you're gonna mention shows that do shout-outs, there are a LOT to mention, like Haruhi, Lucky Star, FLCL, Excel Saga, Keroro, Zetsubo Sensei, etc. etc.

A recent and amusing one was how an episode of Hayate the Combat Butler saw the title character end up with several bladed weapons from the Super Robot Wars series jammed in his back, including Bullet's Shishioh Blade and Zengar's Zankantou.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Recon 5

AmuroNT1 wrote:...and Zengar's Zankantou.
In its ultimate mode? Ouch.

As far as references go, though, I haven't seen anything that can beat Lucky Star. I mean, FMP doujin?
AmuroNT1

Actually, three Zankantous - the Thrudgelmir's, and the Type 3 in both katana and giant forms. Also thrown in was Koryuoh's Sonic Javelin.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
VentZX

Hayate no Gotoku has so many references to other anime, it's almost ridiculous. One of my particular favorites was a small scene where Hinagiku and the school principle(?) act out Char's Counterattack in Nagi's imagination. There's a classic scene in which Hinagiku (Amuro) smacks the principle (Char) upside the head with a giant T-frame. I had to stop I was laughing so hard. There are many Gundam references throughout the show, many of which are spoken others visual. And don't even get me started on the countless other anime parodies in the show.
Hyakushiki

The Lyrical Nanoha series has it's fair share of references from various super robot shows and even Super Robot Wars.

Kurogane Communication has a few references, the main character Haruka, resembles Asuka Soryu Langley from Evangelion. Angela, a warrior robot could pass for Motoko Kusanagi.

A side note about Full Metal Panic, in that same episode they also reference the Black Tri-stars with the Akagi Red stream Attack.

Eureka Seven has a couple Gunbuster references, among others.

Here are few more from Keroro.

Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Kavik Ryx

A rather random one, but the Gainax short Daikon involves a little girl fighting dozens of cameos appearance like the GM, the Star Destroyer, and the Enterprise.
Wingnut

AmuroNT1 wrote:Actually, three Zankantous - the Thrudgelmir's, and the Type 3 in both katana and giant forms. Also thrown in was Koryuoh's Sonic Javelin.
Here is the sword impact to which we refer to. Apparently there were two different versions of it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Oruma

Even Non-Japanese animations have these cameos sometimes. For instance, at the beginning teaser of the Justice League episode "Legends", the League fights a giant robot ---- a carbon copy of an Evangelion unit :D
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Dygenguard

Hyakushiki wrote:The Lyrical Nanoha series has it's fair share of references from various super robot shows and even Super Robot Wars.
There's a lot of comparison between Subaru/Teana and Kyosuke/Exellen.
Plus Zest (I think that's his name) has a striking similarity to Zengar. And his showdown with Signum was pretty epic, as everything Zengar does is.

And just for the record, the StrikerS staff admitted to being fans of mecha. Kind of makes sense since mecha and magic girl anime often have so many similarities. Thank you, Uncle Go Nagai.
Ougi: Guren Maengun!!!
Zeonic Glory

The Haruhi ep with the Day of Sagittarius 3 game had a funny censored Gundam reference.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Hyakushiki

Zeonic Glory wrote:The Haruhi ep with the Day of Sagittarius 3 game had a funny censored Gundam reference.
The episode itself was a parody of Legend of the Galactic Heroes right down to the use of classical music in the background, Kyon played a role similar to Yang Wen-Li while Haruhi's could have been a send up of Reinhard von Lohengramm. As a side note, the episode was directed by Shoji Gatou of Full Metal Panic fame which also explains the Gundam reference.

Cromartie High School had a brief Initial D reference, in one episode they went on a class trip to Iroha, a location for one of the series drift battles, their bus actually drifts around a turn in the road!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Strike Zero

Lucky star is pretty much an anime that's made of nothing but references (as far as I can tell. I've never actually seen the whole thing).

For example...
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Recon 5

Dygenguard wrote:
Hyakushiki wrote:The Lyrical Nanoha series has it's fair share of references from various super robot shows and even Super Robot Wars.
There's a lot of comparison between Subaru/Teana and Kyosuke/Exellen.
Plus Zest (I think that's his name) has a striking similarity to Zengar. And his showdown with Signum was pretty epic, as everything Zengar does is.

And just for the record, the StrikerS staff admitted to being fans of mecha. Kind of makes sense since mecha and magic girl anime often have so many similarities. Thank you, Uncle Go Nagai.
Ya know, someone made a MAD movie of the Nanoha transformation sequence using the GaoGaiGar transformation soundtrack. The timing fits perfectly, even when you include the sound effects.
Wedge14

Strike Zero wrote:Lucky star is pretty much an anime that's made of nothing but references (as far as I can tell. I've never actually seen the whole thing).

For example...
Theres one I found from that show while i was looking for Street Fighter stuffs. Guile from street fighter basically shows up and tries to abduct a little girl or something. Then gets Perfected by one of the lil girls. It was weird.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!