Death Note on [AS]

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
VentZX

Death Note on [AS]

A reminder that Death Note airs tonight on Adult Swim. I'm eager to see how the english dub turns out. I actually look forward to these kind of things.
Destiny_Gundam

It'll be airing on YTV next week too.

Now I like dubs, but the fact that Brad Swaile is doing Light's voice makes me hesitant. He's got one of those voices that I hear so often it's become aggrivating. Luckily for him he usually plays characters that are annoying anyways so it works. However Light's not supposed to be annoying, he's supposed to be crafty and cunning. I'm curious to see if Swaile can pull it off.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
NewtypeS3

I dunno, Brad does a pretty good Rock on Black Lagoon. First time I've heard him swear, to boot.
VentZX

Brad Swaile?? really?
ALL RIGHT!! Sure his version of Amuro in the original was a bit annoying, but I think he did a great job. Besides, when he does the older versions of the same character, aka less whiny, he sounds great.

As far as Light goes though, I do picture him with this deep, almost evil voice. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

On a rather interesting note...

-Brad Swaile did the English voice for Amuro Ray.
-Amuro's Japanese voice was done by Toru Furuya.
-Toru Furuya (narrator for Gundam 00) jokingly volunteered to take the role of Setsuna if anything were to 'happen' to Setsuna's voice actor.
-Setsuna is voiced by Mamoru Miyano.
-Mamoru Miyano is the Japanese voice for Light Yagami.
-Light's English voice actor is Brad Swaile.

It's a circle!
Direct X

They did a pretty average job on the dubs. It is watchable.

They did an excellent job on the Shinigami's voice.
VentZX

Just saw it myself. I approve.

It's interesting to hear Brad Swaile in such a dark role, but I think his rendition of Light is great. The guy knows how to emote. Ryuk also sounds great. All is right in the world. I never did finish watching it during its original run, so it'll be great to be able to finish it.
Direct X

VentZX wrote:Just saw it myself. I approve.

It's interesting to hear Brad Swaile in such a dark role, but I think his rendition of Light is great. The guy knows how to emote. Ryuk also sounds great. All is right in the world. I never did finish watching it during its original run, so it'll be great to be able to finish it.
Personally, Brad fails. There are times when he is just annoying, and times he's making himself worthy of listening to.

The overall concept of the anime is quite lame.

You could pretty much call it Death Party and anyone who RSVP dies.
VentZX

Direct X wrote:
Personally, Brad fails. There are times when he is just annoying, and times he's making himself worthy of listening to.

The overall concept of the anime is quite lame.

You could pretty much call it Death Party and anyone who RSVP dies.
I see we disagree. What I liked about Brad is that he can play both Lights 'innocent' side and cold, calculating sides well. Heck, his moments of craziness were also a joy to hear.

As for the concept of the show, you obviously haven't seen it have you? My suggestion is to stick with it. It becomes more of a thriller with Light and his nemesis L trying to outsmart eachother. It's really something else.
Direct X

I see we disagree. What I liked about Brad is that he can play both Lights 'innocent' side and cold, calculating sides well. Heck, his moments of craziness were also a joy to hear.

As for the concept of the show, you obviously haven't seen it have you? My suggestion is to stick with it. It becomes more of a thriller with Light and his nemesis L trying to outsmart eachother. It's really something else.
I've watched most of it so far before it starting airing.

My complaint isn't with the drama and conflict in the show (that is very well done.) It's just I find it somewhat ridiculously cheesy that writing in a book would cause almost certain death (as I said, the principle can be applied to anything wherein a written name is needed.)

MADHOUSE has always been known for good storytelling (Texhnolyze being my favourite). But that concept of literary death just throws me away. Otherwise, it is a great watch.

(I still don't think Brad is that great. But it is tolerable, I just ignore him trying to exclaim malevolence.)
Hyakushiki

I guess you missed the part where they explain how the Death Note works, the rules behind it are what make the premise believable, it's very powerful and very limited at the same time. It's in how Light uses the Death Note within those constraints that makes the show work IMO.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Direct X

Hyakushiki wrote:I guess you missed the part where they explain how the Death Note works, the rules behind it are what make the premise believable, it's very powerful and very limited at the same time. It's in how Light uses the Death Note within those constraints that makes the show work IMO.
I'm pretty sure they were explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_the_Death_Note for those who dont know. It is just like a game. Specific conditions have to met, yadda yadda boring.

I dont think I have to list them. I just don't like the premise of that sort of "power".
Destiny_Gundam

Well, that actually adds to the theme though. If you had a very easy and impersonal way (ie you don't need to see them face to face) way to kill some one, what would you do with it?
Hyakushiki

You also have to keep in mind just because there are rules, doesn't mean things play out in a straight forward fashion. Like a good gamer, Light learns how to exploit the rules in very clever ways as you'll see if you keep watching.
Direct X

Hyakushiki wrote:You also have to keep in mind just because there are rules, doesn't mean things play out in a straight forward fashion. Like a good gamer, Light learns how to exploit the rules in very clever ways as you'll see if you keep watching.
Well that obviously ties in with his "I'm super genius, I can even fool Gods" attitude.

While I'm not too fond of light, I merely enjoy watching how things play out.

I'm already on 36 though...
Hyakushiki

I know what you mean, I like how he's so brilliant and methodical in how he puts his plans into action, but then I have to remind myself... he's a cold-blooded killer, he's supposed to be the bad guy!
AmuroNT1

Direct X wrote:My complaint isn't with the drama and conflict in the show (that is very well done.) It's just I find it somewhat ridiculously cheesy that writing in a book would cause almost certain death (as I said, the principle can be applied to anything wherein a written name is needed.)

MADHOUSE has always been known for good storytelling (Texhnolyze being my favourite). But that concept of literary death just throws me away. Otherwise, it is a great watch.
I dunno, it seems sort of unfair to single Death Note out as unrealistic, especially considering we're on a message board dedicated primarily to the discussion of cartoons featuring giant walking robots that are used as mass produced military weapons without anyone so much as batting an eyelash at the whole idea.

It might seem silly, but lots of fiction comes off that way if you stare at it too hard. In these cases, the MST3K mantra is highly appropriate: "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Direct X

I dunno, it seems sort of unfair to single Death Note out as unrealistic, especially considering we're on a message board dedicated primarily to the discussion of cartoons featuring giant walking robots that are used as mass produced military weapons without anyone so much as batting an eyelash at the whole idea.

It might seem silly, but lots of fiction comes off that way if you stare at it too hard. In these cases, the MST3K mantra is highly appropriate: "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
I know it's fiction.

Everyone has different opinions. I just liked the gimmicks in other MADHOUSE titles better than the one used in Death Note.

That isn't to say it isn't a good show. It's a good watch. Just a bad gimmick in my opinion.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, that's the manga-ka's fault, not Madhouse's.
Direct X

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, that's the manga-ka's fault, not Madhouse's.
Madhouse adopted the anime version of Death Note.

Thus, the director could have made it a bit different if he saw fit.
Destiny_Gundam

I don't think so. If you take the Death Note out of Death Note, you have nothing. The whole killer notebook thing is the driving force behind everything. If you removed it you'd have a completely different show.