Anime You Know Nothing About

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
OpMegs

Newtype87 wrote:The first is FullMetal Panic. About all I know is a phrase "Black Technology" and "Lambda Driver." I do want to learn more about it, but I've never really found the time. After what I've heard here, I may just have to.
During the Reagan presidency, humanoid mecha known as Arm Slaves were put forward as a military counterpart to the US's Star Wars missile defense program. Inexplicably, it worked, with AS (short for Armored Mobile Master-Slave System) becoming a standard part of any world military. Fast forward to modern day and Arm Slaves are similar to fighter jets. The models are mostly well known to the public, but the specifications and construction are top secret. But even now some people are amazed that giant mecha are practical war weapons.

The secret to this is Black Technology, a body of super-advanced knowledge that is possessed by the Whispered, a number of people that possess this knowledge subconciously from birth. This also tends to result in them excelling in normal scholastic pursuits as well. However, due to the subconcious nature of the knowledge, few know that they themselves are Whispered. The Lambda Driver is another fragment of Black Technology that allows an Arm Slave to generate force without inertia either as a shockwave for offense or a defensive field. Only two factions have it, however. Mithril and the more malevolent Amalgm.

Mithril, a private military organization dedicated to combatting terrorism without any ties to any of the nations of the world possesses technology a decade ahead of anyone else. And the fact of the Whispered is well known to them, as well as countries that would exploit innocent Whispered for their own benefit. Thus, when discovering that KGB elements seem to be after another Whispered candidate after a Mithril raid rescues their last one, Captain Testarossa assigns three of her top soldiers to watch over another potential Whispered predicted to be the KGB's next target: Kaname Chidori.

Kaname Chidori is a high schooler with high grades in school and an otherwise normal life. However, her normal life seems to be turned on its side when "transfer student" Souske Sagara arrives on the scene. Stoic at best, dour at least, Souske tends to react in weird ways that make no sense to simple, innocent things. And he's been following Kaname around even as he protests it's just coincidence.

But it's all about to come to head with a certain school trip.

Anyway, here's one I'm utterly clueless on: Gunbuster.

All I know is presumably some sort of spiritual ancestor to Evangelion and it's a Gainax show.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Newtype87

So FMP's Black Technology is an application of Clarke's Third Law?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I defintely have to look this up. Sounds great!
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Hyakushiki

Gunbuster

The story follows Noriko Takaya, daughter of a starship Admiral killed during a deep space mission in an encounter with the Space Monsters. She vows to follow in her father's footsteps and become a space pilot, she draws the attention of coach Ota an instructor and one of the few survivors from her father's ship, who Noriko affectionately calls "coachie". He makes his mission to see Noriko fulfill her dream, at first she's clumsy and full of self doubt, but eventually learns the value of hard work and guts! She is selected to be one of the pilots of the Gunbuster, one of the most powerful robots ever created.

The show is a parody of Super Robots and even sports anime, the shows full title Aim for the Top, is taken from Aim for the Ace. Both shows feature a heroine who struggles to prove herself in spite of her clumsiness and ridicule from her peers.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Magnus

Curious about Megazone 23. It had the most hilariously corny previews I've seen on DVD.

"During a time when the music was hot and the women were hotter..."
[80's synth rock plays]
"...when a guy with a cool motorcycle could get laid all summer long..."
[anime clip of main character getting out of an occupied bed]

I know it has something to do with the Robotech universe. Netflix is missing Vol.2 :?

lmao found that trailer but it does pretty much spoil the whole storyline from what I gather, ugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcXoSQPwKJ0
Hyakushiki

Actually it's not but it could have been, I've heard there were supposedly plans to make Megazone 23 a part of the Robotech universe possibly as a movie, but were scrapped for whatever reason.
OpMegs

Hyakushiki wrote:Actually it's not but it could have been, I've heard there were supposedly plans to make Megazone 23 a part of the Robotech universe possibly as a movie, but were scrapped for whatever reason.
No, it wasn't scrapped. It was adapted as "Robotech: The Movie". We Robotech fans just...ah....ignore it ever happened. The canon ignores it ever happened. It's THAT bad. :lol:
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Nagato21

Any infos on Vifam? I saw one episode but that was a long time ago.

I also heard Guyver was great but really super violent like Devilman.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Kavik Ryx

I'm actually watching Vifam, and have seen the first four episodes. The story is about a small vessel of mostly children escaping massacre by an unknown enemy. So far, the Round Vernian Vifam has not really been used. It's a rather slow start, but I like it.
Hyakushiki

Guyver isn't really as violent as Devilman, at least going by Go Nagai's reputation though it has it's fair share of blood and gore, mostly involving Zoanoids. I've seen most of the OVA and I thought it was pretty good. I've the first of the remake, the animation's nice but I can't much else than that. The two live-action movies are a mixed bag, the first is really campy the only highlights are Mark Hamil's appearance and Jimmy Walker rapping freestyle, I'm not kidding! The second film however is much more in the spirit of the manga which is a vast improvement, it's worth noting that the lead role is played by none other than David Hayter, Solid Snake himself.
Recon 5

Hyakushiki wrote:...the lead role is played by none other than David Hayter, Solid Snake himself.
Too bad he doesn't get the Guyver as a costume in MGS 4. That would be so cool... it would be insanely broken, though.
Kavik Ryx

Has anyone here seen Dragonar, Mospeda, or Southern Cross? All I know is that the first stated was suppoesed to be a starter series, and the other two were combined into Robotech.
YazanGable

OK. Here's one I'm surprised hasn't come up here yet...

Fang of the Sun Dougram.

I can recognize the main mecha from the series and...
...that's about it.
Kiggz

Shin Hokuto No Ken = Fist Of The North Star 2

I have seen part one HNK Hokuto No Ken i must say its the best anime series I have ever seen and makes Dragon Ball Z look like a kinder garden class, I have never seen part 2 of the series but if its anything like part one I am game.

HNK is made by the same people as DBZ it was basically the first DBZ style anime in japan and it did really well because like after the first 10 episodes when the series kicks off there are heads exploding and people dieing every episode lol.

Fist of the north star is a series about a man with seven scars in the form of the Big Dipper on his chest his name is Kenshiro but hes really supposed to be Bruce Lee and he kicks the shit out of like 1000 people a episode if you have not seen it make sure you look into it.

The first 10 episodes suck then the series picks up and gets really good at around episode 40 there are 109 episodes and then there is a live action movie a anime movie and HNK 2 series after all that there is the new HNK 2007 OVA's which are really new and the revival of the series.

This is a all time classic I highly recommend it and its coming back to live after a long absence in japan and now there is even a new game for PS2 and arcade its a fighting platform just like the series and its made by Sammy the same people who make Guilty Gear. Best news is that is selling more then Guilty Gear Accent core in japan so we will see a part 2 soon.

Still till this day they have never even come close to having as many deaths in a series as Hokuto No Ken I honestly think there is no series even close to coming to the half point in the death count

P.S -the death count is uncountable probably like 10000000000000000 lol no joke watch the series and make sure you are not eating the first time you see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_th ... cade_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_th ... vie_series

Its a huge series and well worth the time amazing stuff better than DBZ no little kid shit see the original series first its a classic then watch the OVA remakes
Kavik Ryx

You know, like Xabungle, there is one other anime, that I cannot find the slightest bit about. Has anyone here seen or looked into Fang of the Sun Dougram?
Hyakushiki

From what found, the series is about a group of rebels called Fang of the Sun who fight the corrupt governor of their colony world.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1958 ... iba_d.html
Chris
Administrator

Kavik Ryx wrote:You know, like Xabungle, there is one other anime, that I cannot find the slightest bit about. Has anyone here seen or looked into Fang of the Sun Dougram?
I saw the first episode raw maybe 6 years ago. As it's a series by Ryosuke Takahashi, it's really in the vein of those "really real" 80s mecha shows, like his later VOTOMS. I think Dougram might have been one of the earliest of the post-Gundam real robot shows. From what I remember, the first episode opens by showing all the characters dead, then it flashes back to the main story before that. It had a great mix of mecha combat in a gritty world with lots of politics. Too bad it's far too ancient for anyone to show interest in, either through commercial or fan ventures.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
X10A-Freedom

I'm trying to figure out the name of a series it's the one with all those videos of the school girls dancing the girls are wearing white and teal outfits I see the videos all the time but haven't had any luck finding anything out.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Hyakushiki

You mean The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
Valles

Ah, yes, Haruhi.

Haruhi Suzumiya is not your ordinary Japanese schoolgirl. She's prettier, she's more athletic, and she's insane.

See, she's deeply interested in aliens, magic, science fiction, and all the other usual makings of an utter geek. Only, she's convinced they're real. And determined to prove it. And quite willing to steamroll anyone who disagrees by sheer force of personality.

Oh, and, she's God.

Fortunately she doesn't know it.

Unfortunately, she doesn't know it, which leaves her hapless crowd of victims/friends to keep her from annihilating the world on accident or out of a fit of pique.
quasadra

i have only know the surface of it. still its sounds like an extremely funny series.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC