Original source of the name "Windam"?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ascension

Original source of the name "Windam"?

I just found something very interesting, completely by accident. Check this (non-Gundam, so potentially reliable) Wiki page. Scroll down to the "powers" section. Look at "Capsule Monsters." It seems that one of the giant monsters employed as a weapon by Ultraseven in his eponymous tokusatsu series is called "Windam."

Coincidence? I suspect not.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Destiny_Gundam

One of the Ma-shins from Magic Knight Rayearth is also named Windam. I'd say it's just coincidence.

I always figured Windam was the altered form of Gundam. Like how the Gundam had the GM (Gundam Mass produced?), so similar-ish names show the connection.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kuruni

One of Ultra Seven's capsule monsters is called Windam, first appear in second episode aired in 1967.

Use Google image search with ウインダム , you will see it (more than GSD's Windam).

It's possibly the best of three capsule monsters, with robotic Roman-like armor appearance. It even made return in Ultraman Moebius last year and get upgrade call Fire Windam.

...As you see, none of those (especially being the best, quite opposite) aspect include in GSD Windam...
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

IIRC, the Rayearth Windam is named for a type of car - there were a lot of car puns in MKR.

And I also figured that "Windam" was meant to be some sort of play on "Gundam".
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Recon 5

A contraction of Wing Gundam, perhaps?
Ragormha

I think there was a man called Windam, wasn't there?...meh

I don't think it'll be an acronym or compound word, as there are no other caps.
"I don't CARE if the mechanaught can't handle it, I want Wings of Light, the few seconds it'd last and the pilot mortality would be worth it." -me, eXteel closed beta.
CHASER

I do remember a man in some Anime named Windam, though that's the farthest I've heard the name and I don't remember the Anime, or maybe it was a movie... Either way, it was some guy's name somewhere on TV.

Names don't need a specific source to come from, and the Wing reference doesn't make too much sense to me. :?
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.