08th MS Team -- where in SE Asia?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
cyber_chorizo

08th MS Team -- where in SE Asia?

I was wondering where the Kojima Battlion was actually assigned.

Some of the locations during the OYW were more or less accurately stated... such as Belfast, Jaburo (somewhere in Brazil), Odessa, etc. The 08th MS Team OVA states that the setting was in South East Asia. If so, where? Judging from one of the native's names (Kiki Rosita), it seems to have taken place somewhere in the Philippines. Though, I'm not so sure...
Phantomexe87

I always assumed near or around Vietnam, maybe Laos.
mcred23

It's not in the Philippines, as Shiro and Aina ended up in the Himalaya Mountains in Episode 7. That said, as a first guess, I'd say they're somewhere in the Myanmar/Laos/Vietnam area, although since there exact area has never really been mentioned (AFAIK), that's just my guess.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
mcred23

OBESITY_AT_IT'S_BEST wrote:Either way the Himalayas is a long way off from any country in South East Asia. How they got there was quite amazing. But there was a gap between episode 6 and 7... who knows they could have been sent there.
Not much of a gap. Going by Mark's timeline, the Apsalus II (With Shiro and his RX-79[G]) fled towards the Himalaya Mountains on November 9th, and Shiro was picked up the following day. Plus, in the previous episode, they were at a Zeon testing ground in a desert that was some distance from their usual (Jungle) operating area, and we have no real idea how far that is from the Himalayas either. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Zero Revenge

mcred23 wrote:
OBESITY_AT_IT'S_BEST wrote:Either way the Himalayas is a long way off from any country in South East Asia. How they got there was quite amazing. But there was a gap between episode 6 and 7... who knows they could have been sent there.
Not much of a gap. Going by Mark's timeline, the Apsalus II (With Shiro and his RX-79[G]) fled towards the Himalaya Mountains on November 9th, and Shiro was picked up the following day. Plus, in the previous episode, they were at a Zeon testing ground in a desert that was some distance from their usual (Jungle) operating area, and we have no real idea how far that is from the Himalayas either. :|
Could be the Gobi (spelling?) Desert...
cyber_chorizo

Maybe they didn't stay in just one country. By the way, the Gobi Desert is in Mongolia. However, Kiki's village closely resembles what appears to be rice terraces in the Philippines. And the villagers have hats that Filipino farmers wear.
Kuruni

Farmer in Thailand wear that hat as well.
My girlfriend was a loli.
auriga

Maybe they didn't stay in just one country.
Given that Kiki was pretty much following them everywhere, I seriously doubt it.
And the villagers have hats that Filipino farmers wear.
Such hats are common here in Southeast Asia.

OT: Are you a Filipino?
Mark064

The Kojima Battalion Base is located in Vietnam specifically somewhere near Hanoi.
Leader

Mark064 wrote:The Kojima Battalion Base is located in Vietnam specifically somewhere near Hanoi.
Where'd you come by this info? I'm not questioning it; I'm just wondering the source.

Oh, and btw, disregard everything Obesity At Its Best's posts. It’s just a joke account mocking Cynicism At Its Best.
Android raptor

There's a screenshot from episode 11 that proves at least where the Apsaras development base is. When Our Mentally Unstable Friend is breaking the ceasefire, for a bit we can see what looks very much like latitude and longitude on the screen behind him. If I remember right, it puts the location in the very tip of south-western China.
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
Mark064

Leader wrote:Where'd you come by this info? I'm not questioning it; I'm just wondering the source.
Gundam Fact File.
Leader

Cool, thanks man!
bluemax151

Android raptor wrote:There's a screenshot from episode 11 that proves at least where the Apsaras development base is. When Our Mentally Unstable Friend is breaking the ceasefire, for a bit we can see what looks very much like latitude and longitude on the screen behind him. If I remember right, it puts the location in the very tip of south-western China.
Gundam Official wrote: U.C. 0079.12.07
The Federation Forces lay siege to a Principality base on the Tibetan Plateau. [The 08th MS Team, episodes 10-11]
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010