Anime is dying in North America

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NewtypeS3

Exactly.
If, by some strange situation, that is from an ADV exec, I sincerely doubt that guy has much pull in the corporation. Especially considering ADV was created to dub and release anime in the first place.
MrMarch

Interesting. Well, the quote is really secondary to my point anyway, but thanks for the notice. Maybe mk23 can enlighten us about the quote?
NewtypeS3

Well, he joined just to post that and hasn't bothered to reply once we brought the quote into question. Which makes me think there really is very little to his original post outside circumstance. I'm more than willing to be wrong in this case, though.
After all, just because the PS3 is failing compared to a few other consoles doesn't mean that either gaming as a whole or Sony itself is going to go under.
Quiddity

personally have come to believe that anime was fated to remain a niche market in North America, if not internationally. It had plenty of room for growth and grow it did in this last decade. But in order to realize the kind of profit these anime licensing companies wanted would take a major media success and that's just not going to happen with foreign product, right or wrong.

ADV is clear it doesn't want anime-licensing success, it wants Pixar-like success. That executive's quote speaks volumes.
You're 100% on, Mr. March. Anime always has been, and always will be a niche. The sooner the fans and the companies themselves realize that, the better. What's going on in the industry today is hardly "the sky is falling". It's market correction after the anime companies got too far ahead of themselves and went overboard with licensing too much stuff. More demand results in higher licensing fees, which results in higher overall costs, next thing you know the DVD prices are higher, less fans buy them, and the profits go away. It's happened in many industries before, it's happening in anime now, and it will happen in other industries later. As long as anime fans don't expect anime to become mainstream in American society and as long as the companies themselves don't expect sky high inventories and profits, we'll be okay. Anime will never be a huge industry in America, but it will continue to get by okay.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Kishiria

I think even "Anime Insider" wrote in 2005 about how anime companies were over-supplying for a limited demand. That they're starting to cut back is predictable, and not necessarily a bad thing. Anime is massively popular, but your average fan only wants to buy so much!
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Zero Revenge

Kishiria wrote:I think even "Anime Insider" wrote in 2005 about how anime companies were over-supplying for a limited demand. That they're starting to cut back is predictable, and not necessarily a bad thing. Anime is massively popular, but your average fan only wants to buy so much!
Especially when the DVD's are of a ridiculously high price... just lower the price by atleast 10 dollars (I'd be hoping for 20) and I'd start buying more DVD's.
Ascension

I wish they'd release more box sets. Almost all American television shows are released in season-long box sets. When I have seen anime box sets they've been better priced per-episode than the single DVDs, and there's the added convenience of knowing you have the whole thing right there in one nice chunk. Easier storage, too, since the individual DVDs are usually in thinner cases when they come in box sets. I'd by a lot more anime series on DVD if there were more box sets. As it is I buy mostly movies and OVAs, because at least that way you can usually get a good chunk, if not all, of the story in one purchase.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Imperial

Kishiria wrote:I think even "Anime Insider" wrote in 2005 about how anime companies were over-supplying for a limited demand. That they're starting to cut back is predictable, and not necessarily a bad thing. Anime is massively popular, but your average fan only wants to buy so much!
Precisely

I ignore almost everything anime-related I see in stores these days because there's just so much of it. I feel lost in a sea of mediocrity. I love the genre, but there are some piss-poor showings. I think I just might go insane if I have to see another aisle bursting with Naruto merchandise.

I don't think I'm alone in that, which would explain the faltering fortunes of the now-defunct Geneon and down-sizing of ADV. Things will even out eventually. They always do (equilibrium being a basic concept of Economic theory). It's simply a matter of riding this out and letting the backlash wipe away the glut of media that's assaulted our senses.
This space for rent
AmuroNT1

I think one of the problems with the American anime industry is that there's virtually no merchandise outside of the anime itself. In Japan, you get insane amounts of goods - statues, figures, posters, plushies, and insane things like body pillows. In America, almost none of that sells, unless you hit upon one of those rare hits like Pokemon. Therefore, anime isn't nearly as lucrative over here as it is back in Japan. which might lead people to think that it's not worthwhile.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Crusader

Bandai seems to have the right idea when it comes to pricing thier dvds. I've noticed that thier newer Dvds are priced around 20 dollars or less, which is a good thing for me. Funimation on the other hand is expensive as heck, some of thier stuff is like almost 40 dollars on a single dvd, which is too expensive for my liking.

Secondly, How can anime ever flourish when a majority of people download a lot of the content instead of paying for it, but this isn't anything new. I think the trend is just catching up to Anime over here in the states. Still however, Anime is quite popular maybe even at it's peak. I don't see anime, just falling off anytime soon.