Shiro's fighting skills (08th MS Team)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Direct X

Re: reply

Also, after the V Project MS had started up, all of the Federation's attention and efforts were taken away from the RX-79(G) and RGM-79(G) series put into building the RGM-79 + variant series, which further leads to the unavailability of the needed parts for any repairs for such units. You could say that it's similar to the Zeon with their Zaku Tanks.

I just said that

:? :?

Not to mention the Federation was more keen on backing a newtype.
mcred23

Direct X wrote:Didn't his abilities get overshadowed by Amuro Ray's abilities?
No. Shiro was never famous like Amuro and the RX-78-2 were.
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:Anyways, people should NOT take the whole Shiro/Ball vs. RD-4 Zaku that lightly. The very fact that a Ball was able to take down an agile MS 1 on 1 with no support (or distractions) is pretty good in itself, but consider the fact that this was a Zaku with Rick Dom speed and mobility as well (taking down a team of GM Precession Types single-handedly) and you got an opponent that a single Ball (of any type) should NOT normally be able to defeat without a team backing it up.
The Ball vs RD-4 fight is overhyped. Shiro took extreme advantage of the situation and got very lucky in that battle. He did have distractions in that his arrival into the battle zone was totally unexpected, and Rick Dom's have less mobility than most Zeon MS (Definitely less than a normal Zaku II, although faster). That battle did prove him to be a good pilot, but there is no doubt his success there was more heavily based on luck and the situation than his (or Aina's) skills.
Kavik Ryx wrote:Just because they ran out of spare parts, doesn't mean that they did not have the money and resources to make more.
If the Federation had wanted to, they could have built more parts for the -79[G] models, however, those parts were costly (Luna Titanium ain't cheap) and there weren't great numbers of the MS they were intended for to begin with. Plus, the 08th is way the hell out in the middle of the jungle, so getting parts for anything is probably somewhat tricky to begin with, and waiting for the proper parts might keep a (Badly?) needed mobile suit out of action for several days or weeks.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Tafumi

mcred23 wrote: If the Federation had wanted to, they could have built more parts for the -79[G] models, however, those parts were costly (Luna Titanium ain't cheap) and there weren't great numbers of the MS they were intended for to begin with. Plus, the 08th is way the hell out in the middle of the jungle, so getting parts for anything is probably somewhat tricky to begin with, and waiting for the proper parts might keep a (Badly?) needed mobile suit out of action for several days or weeks.
Adding to that, most of the EFF's resources (in terms of MS construction/parts) was going towards the RGM-79 that was under development/construction.

Why build all these parts for the RX-79[G] when you had fielded a bunch of GM[G]'s? And then you had a massive amount of GM's in your back pocket getting ready to play.

At least, that is my logic. I wouldn't have slated the construction of any replacement parts for the suits if I was the guy making the decisions for the EFF.
Jak Stoller

A) Shiro's actions against the Apsalus was also to prevent the other pilots in their inferior skills from getting destroyed. Not just thrashed but full on molten slagged. The Apsalus is anti-fortress material, it doesn't leave much of a mobile suit.

B) They didn't make any more parts for the 79 series (actualy, 78 rebuilds) because the land battles were all but over, space was the place where the fighting was getting attention, and in space the GM and its Balls were the units of choice, not some ground-pounders.

C) Its been a good long while since I watched the OG, but I seem to recall somewhere around (don't quote me on this) but a 1 to 4 zaku kills to ball kills... And those were a bunch of unranked no-name grunts, I should expect better from a suped up zaku and an experienced space pilot. Its not fantastic, its not mundane, its just a grammy and a box of popcorn...

Besides, Shiro owned because he didn't fight like he was playing Rainbox Six, he fought like he was playing Quak 3.

--Jak
Gadget

Jak Stoller wrote:Besides, Shiro owned because he didn't fight like he was playing Rainbox Six, he fought like he was playing Quak 3.

--Jak
Are you sure he played 'Super Duck3'. :wink: It should be Quake 3.

I agree Shiro will not be up there with the superaces. And I think he is considered a defector and he was suppose to be arrested. But he was later classified as KIA. H may not have the numbers, but from the way he fight, he could easily be a superaces. Not many non-NTs can goes against 2 MA and live to tell the story. And he also went one up against a famous ace and like to tell his children. Personally, I do rank him more skillfull than Kou of the 0083 Stardust Memories.

I think Shiro greates advantage is his ability to be flexible and uses un-conventional methods. He don't have raw piloting skills like Char and Armuro, but I don't think those pilots could be as unpreditable as Shiro.
bluemax151

mcred23 wrote:
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:Anyways, people should NOT take the whole Shiro/Ball vs. RD-4 Zaku that lightly. The very fact that a Ball was able to take down an agile MS 1 on 1 with no support (or distractions) is pretty good in itself, but consider the fact that this was a Zaku with Rick Dom speed and mobility as well (taking down a team of GM Precession Types single-handedly) and you got an opponent that a single Ball (of any type) should NOT normally be able to defeat without a team backing it up.
The Ball vs RD-4 fight is overhyped. Shiro took extreme advantage of the situation and got very lucky in that battle. He did have distractions in that his arrival into the battle zone was totally unexpected, and Rick Dom's have less mobility than most Zeon MS (Definitely less than a normal Zaku II, although faster). That battle did prove him to be a good pilot, but there is no doubt his success there was more heavily based on luck and the situation than his (or Aina's) skills.
They over hype you under hype. What's the difference? Regardless of circumstance It was an accomplishment. There will always be the whole "defeated an MS in a vehicle" thing going on. Personally I find Shiro's hesitation to back down to be more indicative of what he is made of.

As for why it was a whole Norris vs Shiro instead of 08th vs Norris.. In universe there was still a Guntank and the hovertruck that needed protection.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Recon 5

bluemax151 wrote:As for why it was a whole Norris vs Shiro instead of 08th vs Norris.. In universe there was still a Guntank and the hovertruck that needed protection.
Except that Norris was the only threat in the area (nothing else left to endanger the truck), the little 'fistfight' between him and Shiro was definitely too big for the rest of 08th to be unaware of their location and both of Shiro's squadmates had fully functioning Mobile Suits... and finally, leaving the last Guntank all alone in a cul- de- sac seems to be a very efficient way of protecting it. Sanders and his lady friend should have at least fallen back to the Guntank and taken up a position between it and the Shiro- Norris battle. If they STILL failed to protect it, well, at least they would have tried to.

Anyway, what in the world were they doing while Shiro was taking Norris down, anyway?
NewtypeS3

My guess? Slamming back of brewskies till the director told them to get back in the scene.
J-Lead

Recon 5 wrote:Anyway, what in the world were they doing while Shiro was taking Norris down, anyway?
The Guntank was already covered by Shiro, that's why. He wasn't just trying to take down Norris so much as defend the Guntank as well; his actions during that fight pretty much point to both interests. While Norris was his main concern, it's made pretty obvious that Shiro was totally aware of the Guntank behind him, as well as the blue boy's fixation on destroying it. He just didn't expect him to open fire on it after he had swung his beam saber into the cockpit, delivering the conclusive blow to Norris's status among the living. Besides, Karen and Sanders did defend the Guntank when Shiro was disabled, remember? They both formed around it, giving it a chance to fall back and warrenting an IOU from the pilot/gunner, so it's not like they were just sitting back and chewing the fat, and with no more significant ranged weapons, it would have been rather difficult for them to support Shiro effectively in that fight.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Recon 5

What I was talking about was that sequence of the Gouf's bullets striking the Guntank. In that frame, the Guntank was all alone and sandwiched between two buildings to boot (thus it couldn't have taken evasive maneuvers). Where were Karen and Sanders then? If they had been following the battle between Shiro and Norris, they would definitely have known how to position themselves so as to block the line of fire and we'd have seen them at least trying to move in front of the Guntank to take Norris's shots.
bluemax151

Maybe they made a run for the supply depot (they mentioned it earlier) with the hover truck? The reason is really more grounded in a climatic show experience.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
J-Lead

bluemax151 wrote:Maybe they made a run for the supply depot (they mentioned it earlier) with the hover truck?
I'm not so sure about that, acting-commander Eledore made it pretty clear that it would be a bad idea.
Recon 5 wrote:What I was talking about was that sequence of the Gouf's bullets striking the Guntank. In that frame, the Guntank was all alone and sandwiched between two buildings to boot (thus it couldn't have taken evasive maneuvers). Where were Karen and Sanders then? If they had been following the battle between Shiro and Norris, they would definitely have known how to position themselves so as to block the line of fire and we'd have seen them at least trying to move in front of the Guntank to take Norris's shots.
Blocking the line of fire with their own mobile suits isn't really a sane or smart way to cover the tank, lunar titanium or not (it's strong, but it isn't miracle armor like Phase Shift or Gundanium.) With their current armaments, and the hovertruck still vulnerable, Shiro once again capable of defending the tank himself (it was his job to defend it,) the maze of buildings they would have to manuver around, and possible future objectives to come in at anytime, supporting the remaining Guntank, as well as Shiro, just may not have seemed like a necessary or good idea at the time. (Besides, if the next episode is any indication, it seems they arrived at Shiro's location pretty much right after Norris was killed, anyway.)
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
ZeonfromHell

Ok, there is a common misconception that Shiro had no distraction to help him when he fought the Zaku with the ball, and that he was plot-shielded/powered a la Wing style. McRed has already pointed out that he wasn't alone. He didn't ride in with a big LED-lit sign that says "I'm here and it's just me, so let's fight and I will PWN you, n00b." Remember, Sanders was still there, and there really is no way for Aina to tell if he truly was out of ammo. For all she knew, the Ball could have been a distraction so Sanders could move in and fill her with holes. Yes, taking out a Zaku with a Ball is no small feat, regardless of how you slice it, but Shiro didn't pull a Heero in this fight.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.