Mediocre Okawara?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
OddlucK

Mediocre Okawara?

Perhaps not the right place for this, but I want to ask. Why's there such disdain (for lack of a better word) for Okawara these days? Don't get me wrong, I love Katoki, and Izubuchi designed my favorite suit (the Nu Gundam), but I still love Okawara's work as well. Yet, it seems, since the rise to prominence of Katoki, Okawara's taken, at best, a back seat.

His involvement with the uber-mechs of SEED/Destiny clearly hasn't helped, though I don't get that either (I still think they're good designs). But, is that any reason to toss aside his contributions to Gundam? Could there really have been a Gundam without Okawara's work (a debate for another day)?

I don't get it. So, I ask, if you don't like/disdain/proclaim the mediocrity of Okarawa's work... Why?

--OddlucK
Last edited by OddlucK on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strike Zero

First I've heard of there being a disdain for Okawara, though I have to say, Katoki > Okawara by FAR. He designed the Unicorn, which has since become my most favorite Gundam to date.

On a related note, Chris said in his review for 00 Ep. 1 that Okawara has been redesigning the Gundam F91 over and over, though I'm not too clear on what he means by that either...
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Bazookafied

It probably means in his opinion that all Gundams that Okawara designed after the F91 were just F91 copies and that Gundam 00 is introducing fresh new designs.

Okawara has had a history of drawing lineart that looks nothing like they do in the animation and gunpla. Other designers work tend to translate to 3D much easier. At least thats what I have observed.
Krogoth255

I think it is because he simply has done more than enough suit designs for anime series. It is about time for some new blood to come in. It is unfair to say that he has been reharshing the F91 design. None of the CE Gundams that he had designed even resemble F91. The closest is probably the Strike Gundam, but it is more of a modern reharsh of RX-78-2.

I do like Okawara's Wing Gundam series designs over Katoki. I am very positive that his Zeta is still vary popular and none of the wannabes come close in popularity.
Darn you F-Types!
Outlaw

"Familiarity Breeds Contempt"

He's been around so long I think people just aren't wowed anymore. I prefer Katoki's style because it's sharp and sleek. Having said that though, I have no problem with Okawara's stuff, but I'm not the kind of person who gets bored of stuff easily.
Deus EpS Machina

Bazookafied wrote:Okawara has had a history of drawing lineart that looks nothing like they do in the animation and gunpla. Other designers work tend to translate to 3D much easier. At least thats what I have observed.
Thats why i cant ever say harsh things about Okawara's work unless iv seen it in animation or as physical objects first; his work in SEED and Destiny taught me that. Most of his designs looked rubish in lineart form but were downright brilliant in animation and as models.

As for this discussion...

A lot of people say that Okie's work is rehashed of his own, and I agree 100%, however the competetion doesnt stand too well against the same criticism at all, especially Katoki. Iv said it in every discussion ever that Katoki isnt a bad designer, that his stuff is very slick and sexy, but the thing is, ever since i first saw a Katoki design (obviously WZC) iv realized his all his work is general the same, like he has a basic mecha skeleton with the same posture and design but with different parts slapped on. I see WZC in a Huckebein in a Deathscythe Hell Custom in a Sandrock Custom in a R-Gun in a Wildwurger in a Unicorn.

Which isnt to say Katoki sucks cuz he is bland and likes to reuse his own stuff. Unicorn, Sentinel, and 0083 show Katoki can do some incredible work especially Unicorn where his Zeonic designs are incredible (Kshatriya <3)

So really, meh. I just like Okie over Katoki as a mecha designer cuz he has far more designs out there that i like than does Katoki.
Last edited by Deus EpS Machina on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Bazookafied

I've been becoming a fan of Fujioka (Advance of Zeta, Medarots) and Takayuki Yanase recently. It was a big surprise for me to see Takayuki Yanase designing the Gundam 00 stuff. I was already a fan of his smaller works, but didn't expect that coming.

I have heard lots about designing styles. I think Okawara's style has run out at this point. To me, his line-art just doesn't match up with 3D of the animation or Gunpla.
Deus EpS Machina

well yes.

You have to realize he has done a crapton of mecha in and outside Gundam, so theres obviously a point where he just HAS to reuse his old stuff cuz his imagination is running dry. So i cant blame him for making Freedom Gundam a rehash of Double X when, in the end, i still love the design.

And yes Kenki Fujioka has proven with Advance of Zeta that his talent for making wild and complex designs yet still keeping the classic, vintage and rugged look of that particular era in UC... well, you get the idea.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Ascension

I would say that Okawara's early lineart was rough to the point of just being... well... pretty awful... but then, to be completely honest, the early Gundam animation period is very low quality by modern standards. It only makes sense that the lineart would age just as badly as the series' animation has. I honestly think Okawara's best work is when he gets away from Gundam. The guy has done soooooo many pieces of Gundam lineart by now he's probably sick of the stuff. His non-Gundam work, particularly his work on VOTOMS, displays a brand of creativity he probably feels unable to harness when doing Gundam work. When it comes to Gundams, he probably feels like the fans expect him to do the designs in the same style as his old stuff, leading to the repetition of forms. It's not that he's incapable of coming up with something new, it's just that he can't come up with something new for a Gundam series. Just as long as he stays far away from Gundam, I think he's a fine mechanical designer, though I must say I think Izubuchi trumps all.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Leroy Landers

I was somewhat puzzled by that statement in the review myself, I can understand though that having done so much it would begin to look the same after a while, but I wouldn't criticize his early work or his stuff from VOTOMS which are superb.
Kuruni

Even in Gundam, he often show some interesting design in MSV series. Still, I think his best com from other series. Such as Votoms and Gaogaigar. I think his talent is more visible when he do "extreme" stuff, either hard-science AT or super robot. It become less appeal when he done "generic" stuff.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mark064

I think it's more of a case in a non Gundam new series Okawara is given more free reign. Gundam has a tendency to stick to the same simulair formuals in terms of mecha design, more then that too but that's for another topic. So you can be sure that Okawara is stuck making designs that stick to the same formula. It's not like he can actually go and create a Gundam design that is out there unless that's what the director and Bandai wants. From what I remember reading a while back there are two ways a mecha gets done in a Gundam series, this probably holds over to many things as well not just Gundam. Regardless first is the director tells what to do, or second the mecha designer does it on his own. No matter which outcome the director has to okay the design. The only reasons we are seeing the Okawara designs is because the director is satisfied with them.
DropDeadEd

Mark064 wrote:I think it's more of a case in a non Gundam new series Okawara is given more free reign. Gundam has a tendency to stick to the same simulair formuals in terms of mecha design, more then that too but that's for another topic. So you can be sure that Okawara is stuck making designs that stick to the same formula. It's not like he can actually go and create a Gundam design that is out there unless that's what the director and Bandai wants. From what I remember reading a while back there are two ways a mecha gets done in a Gundam series, this probably holds over to many things as well not just Gundam. Regardless first is the director tells what to do, or second the mecha designer does it on his own. No matter which outcome the director has to okay the design. The only reasons we are seeing the Okawara designs is because the director is satisfied with them.
Exactly. I personally like most of Okawara's work (even if they are slight redesigns).

Frankly I hope Takayuki Yanase takes the front with the designs. His designs for Zegapain, while received with mixed views, were excellent.
artmaster079

I think Chris meant that Okawara's F91 design became his modernized RX-78 and all of his subsequent Gundam designs reflect it in some way. Not say that doesn't look good, I personally love the Freedom, Saviour, and the F91 designs myself, but it gets repetitive. Most likely, he doesn't notice it himself, but it inevitaably happens. Hell, it happens to me when i'm trying to create an original mecha design, or yet another Gundam for my manga-esque story, so I have nothing against him.
**Member of Mecha Talk since June 2006**

Re: Mediocre Okawara?

OddlucK wrote:Perhaps not the right place for this, but I want to ask. Why's there such disdain (for lack of a better word) for Okawara these days? Don't get me wrong, I love Katoki, and Izubuchi designed my favorite suit (the Nu Gundam), but I still love Okawara's work as well. Yet, it seems, since the rise to prominence of Katoki, Okawara's taken, at best, a back seat.
These days, it's because of his SEED designs that there's such disdain for his work. Katoki's work certainly was a fresh change, but that by itself would not have garnered the hate that you've been seeing. If you're a fan of his work and you like SEED's designs, then you're not gonna see any reason for such hate.

Me, I definitely hate his SEED work because not only is it mainly a rehash of much of his old work, but all the parts he chose to put on his mobile suits end up being aesthetically jarring to the eyes. For some, you look at the parts, you can make out some F-91, Victory, X, and as of late, some Zeta mixed together along with old SEED designs. Freedom, in spite of literally being a franken revolving around the Double X, is one of the few SEED designs that actually looked good in my eyes. For others, they simply just look plain flat and uninspired. It's pretty much like he said 'the heck with this' and cobbled up a Gundam or ten for the series. The only designs credited by him that actually looked good were the original 5, and last I checked, the designs themselves weren't originally his to begin with. Makes sense, given how sharp a turn the designs took.

I can kinda understand why it happened, considering he was the lone MS designer for both series, and has done enough Gundam left and right over the years. It's almost like he's practically been stuck with the franchise for the longest time, so I can almost even imagine the man could've gotten frustrated as well, though that's merely speculation on my part. I echo the sentiments; if he is allowed to do something other than Gundam, his work looks much more fresh.
Koshernova

I didn't quite agree with the statement, but it is true that Ohkawara has been reusing elements of the F91 for ages now. Hell, I was about to say "the Blitz Gundam looks nothing like it", yet when you compare them side by side, there are many proportion and styling parts that do look very similar. My best counter-example is the Aegis, but it is a weird-looking suit by CE standards.

I personally don't think Ohkawara is too suited for real-robot shows. I love a lot of his designs, but they seem better when they're reproportioned by someone else, or when he simply goes for the super robot look.
Mark064

Considering all the shows Okawara has worked be it real or super I think he's more then qualified for just about anything. Non Gundam real robot he's worked on Xabungle, Dragonar, SPT Layzner, Votoms, Betterman, Vifam, Dougram, and Galient. Infact I see he's worked on Ginguizer which actually makes me wonder if he created the staring mecha for that show... wait anything in that show at all...
mcred23

Re: Mediocre Okawara?

Aegis wrote: These days, it's because of his SEED designs that there's such disdain for his work. Katoki's work certainly was a fresh change, but that by itself would not have garnered the hate that you've been seeing. If you're a fan of his work and you like SEED's designs, then you're not gonna see any reason for such hate.
I think that covers the big reason for a lot of people (As I agree pretty much with your entire post). Plus, tack on the designs that came out of Destiny (Particularly SEED clones like the Impluse, or the UC rip-offs like the ZAKU types), which were also poorly received (At least, by Western fans. I have no idea how the Japanese reacted) and you get that dislike for Okawara that you see somewhat more often these days.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
SNT1

To be honest I don't know where the F91 comparison came from; it's a pretty unique Okawara design as far as I'm concerned.

As for the majority of Okie's designs, I wouldn't say 'hated', but people are just tired of it. Okie nowdays is just too vanilla. Also, his designs from G-Gundam (the normal looking ones), Wing, X, and SEED seem very similar. That's alot of mecha, considering AU shows tend to have a crapton of Gundam designs.

Still, I tend to like some of Okie's work, especially when BEE-CRAFT redesigns them :P
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Dark Duel

Krogoth255 wrote:None of the CE Gundams that he had designed even resemble F91.
Have you taken a long hard look at the Saviour? It's a red, transforming F91 with a Zeta-style folding V-fin.

My problem with Okawara is the near-total unoriginality of his designs in the past two series, and the fact that his lineart looks clunky, nowhere as sleek as in-animation.
In two fifty-episode series, the only designs that displayed any real originality were the GINN, GuAIZ, and Gaia, IMO.
The GOUF Ignited is just an MS-07 with a flight pack, the ZAKU Warrior's a rehashed MS-06 with the shield on the opposite shoulder, the Phantom's a rehashed ZAKU command-type with an extra shield, the BABI's an obese Hambrabi with the 0's head(design-wise, the Epyon was essentially "Hambrabi Gundam" with no gun)...I could go on and on. It's all been done before.

Okawara's done, IMO. It's time for some new blood.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."