ITS SHOWTIME! (The Big O discussion thread)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
midnightcitysky

yeah I had heard about wolverine and the x-men and I'm a tad uneasy. they have squidboy as a main character.....SQUIDBOY?!?! and the Big O without the mech...that's kinda like mazinger without the mazinger don't you think...yeah it's a different series in terms of content and feel but it's a mech anime...

and I know everyone considers it a super, but I kinda call it a real in my mind. it has an OS it has similar controls to a real and has ammo, the suit needs maintenance as is shown in a couple of episodes...the thing runs on some kinda power source that isn't magic or fueled by the power of love and courage.

but on some level I wish they went more into detail about the big O itself and why and when it was made... and more importantly why only this one survived. maybe the 2nd season would have been better with a bit less megadeus action, but in the first wasn't the first big reveal during a big fight with scwarzvald...or am I misremembering.
My posts say something about me...I LIKE WRITING ESSAYS...
Jak Stoller

You are remembering correctically. :roll: Kudos to who can name that movie :P

But yes, Big O vs Big Duo (not the Maxwell either), that was one hell of a fight too...

I wish they woulda gone more into the history of the Bigs, they gave us just enough information to wonder if we really have it figured out...

--Jak
Recon 5

Hey, the whole thing is just one big TV show, right ? (Ironically enough, the plot revolves around the fact) Maybe the 'old series' just happened to feature the Bigs and the 'new series' won't. In fact, we don't even know if they brought back people like Norman and Dastun (but in Norman's case, it would be insane for them not to bring him back).
Ascension

midnightcitysky wrote:and the Big O without the mech...that's kinda like mazinger without the mazinger don't you think...
I never intended to suggest that The Big O should be done away with entirely. I just thought that, in the first season at least, it was a little too formulaic the way a megadeus-sized something-or-other would always appear right at the end of the episode. I thought it especially felt out of place in Winter Night Phantom, having a giant toy robot suddenly appear and distract you from the emotional confrontation between Dastun and the Phantom.

EDIT: And if you're wondering why I'm not commenting on the ending, it's because I only started watching the series when this thread was posted, and I'm only as far as Negotiations With the Dead.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Recon 5

Well, its pretty similar to the US cartoons the series was based off, I mean, you have to look at Batman/ Superman and wonder why so many superhumans are congregating in a single town, to the extent that they have a new one for nearly every episode.

The Big O is scripted around its giant mecha just like American superhero cartoons are scripted around their superhumans.
Wingnut

True, but in the case of Big O, there is only one place for them to show up. And episode 3 did have Roger going out of the city quite a ways to deal with the Hydra eel.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Ascension

Yeah, I just finished watching the ending, and I must say, as strange as it sounds, that I agree with the idea that it was all a television show directed by Angel and that the ending shows it going into reruns. I've got to leave right now, so I don't have time to cite all my support, but I'd be glad to discuss it at greater length.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
solid snake

I thought this was a pretty good show, but the ending confused the hell out of me.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
South Burning

For me, Big O didn't click until the final episode, but then it all made sense. (Or maybe I was just deluding myself.) And I really enjoyed the re-runs. If you remember, Samurai Jack came out within a few months of the Big O debut, so I always associate them with one another and I have always thought both series semed very American. But that illusion was recently blown away when I saw the covers to the complete series vol. I & II in a Best Buy. The new cover is VERY Japanese.