Fantastic Children

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kishiria

Fantastic Children

I keep thinking of this series as "Les Enfants de Befort" but I'm weird that way. I was made aware of this series at the 2006 Comic-Con and decided I had to see it.

I was right. I'm up to episode 10 and can't wait for DVD 3 to arrive in the mail tomorrow from Netflix. It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

The plot involves a group of originally seven white-haired children who keep reincarnating throughout history. They are always looking for a dark-haired girl or woman who throughout her own reincarnations paints the same mysterious landscape over and over again. In 2012 in a non-existent southeast Asian country, a boy named Thoma encounters the current incarnation of the dark-haired girl, this time named Helga, and her friend Chitto. Chitto is making it his mission to help Helga find the place in her paintings, unaware of the children who are looking for her.

At the same time, there is a white-haired young man named Dumas also looking for the children and a government agency who may have the key to who and what they are.

The art is pretty, but there are some aspects of the way they draw people that annoy me. When a character is in profile, they tend to draw their mouth on the side of the face, for instance. The use of colour is nice and the scenery is Miyazaki-type imaginative.

I hear this show keeps up the level of quality straight through to the end, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
quasadra

i have watch this before, and its pretty average to me. when all the thing finally got explained, i was like "oh, so thats what happened". maybe my expectation was too high.(i was expecting something big, with the hundred year reincarnation and all)
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Kishiria

I've seen the whole series, and gave it three stars on Netflix as opposed to the four I was expecting to give it. It did turn out to be a bit predictable, which I wasn't expecting, and the ending had large plot holes that I can't explain without giving spoilers. I also thought it seemed a little derivative of "Please Save My Earth".

It's still a nice series with a better than decent storyline. I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought it, but as a rental I enjoyed it well enough.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.