Gundam: What's Official?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BlackLion

Re: Gundam: What's Official?

So I looked through the thread and must have missed it, but I'd like to know the official status of G-Saviour. It's a filmed production, fits in the UC timeline with nothing contradicting it, but isn't referenced anywhere in Sunrise again. Even the game was made by Sunrise themselves, which I think is their ONLY Gundam game.

It seems more like they're just ignoring it rather than flat-out removing it from official status, and most people delcare it to be unofficial with no backup simply because they didn't like it. Much like ZZ.
HalfDemonInuyasha

G-Savior has pretty much been denounced by EVERYONE because of how horrible it was, so it more or less IS no longer official.

And ZZ can't really be compared as it's really just the first portion of the series people tended to dislike, but the series as a whole is usually liked in the end. Not to mention that even if people did want to ignore it, with Unicorn introducing all those ZZ elements, it's pretty much impossible to now, lol.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Imperial

It's a non-entity in that hardly anyone or anything acknowledges it anymore. Does that make it unofficial? No, it does not.

It's simply not the sort of thing anyone dwells upon, which makes the real question not a matter of "is G-Saviour official?" But, rather, it is "Does it even matter at this point?" It's a pariah no one is even going to bother touching.
This space for rent
Deacon Blues

It's a work that Sunrise put out and is official as any other animated work. It doesn't matter how much they try to bury the movie, it's going to remain in the official realm of the timeline. Fans can try and funnel it off into some obscure alternative Universal Century incantation, but we know how well that works :roll:
zerogradius

Until an official announcement is made declaring it to be non-cannon, or Sunrise releases material that contradicts the events of G-Savior, then it will remain cannon. However, since it takes place so far down the line in the UC timeline and no one, including Sunrise, seems to care for it, then it does not matter wither way.
Deacon Blues

zerogradius wrote:Until an official announcement is made declaring it to be non-cannon, or Sunrise releases material that contradicts the events of G-Savior, then it will remain cannon. However, since it takes place so far down the line in the UC timeline and no one, including Sunrise, seems to care for it, then it does not matter wither way.
As I said, they can try and make is as "unofficial" as they want, but according to their own policy if it's animated, it's official. Like it or not, Sunrise cannot delete that entry from the Universal Century timeline.
ShadowCell

Well, sure they could, by saying that what's animated is official except for G-Saviour. Arbitrary, perhaps, but that's nothing new for Gundam.

But they seem to be more interested in just forgetting that G-Saviour ever happened.
VF5SS

Deacon Blues wrote:
As I said, they can try and make is as "unofficial" as they want, but according to their own policy if it's animated, it's official. Like it or not, Sunrise cannot delete that entry from the Universal Century timeline.
Why not? If they made the rules, what's stopping them from arbitrarily ignoring them? There's no court of canon run by the otaku overlords making them stand trial for ignoring something less popular than Garzey's Wing :3
Dark Duel

Quite simply because frankly, nobody cares. G-Saviour was almost universally reviled by fans at the time of its release because it was - let's be honest - a low-budget B-movie, and fans being fans were disappointed.
Frankly, I watched it knowing what I was in for; I had no expectations of anything grandiose or brilliant, and I found it enjoyable if occasionally dull(Incidentally I feel the same way about 0080 - it's enjoyable enough overall, but quite dull at times).
But it's so far removed chronologically from the rest of the Universal Century that it's largely irrelevant.
Sunrise IMO mainly seem to be, as far as UC is concerned, in shoehorning as much crap as possible into the One-Year War and the decade or so immediately following it, and are by and large ignoring the second century UC except for the Crossbone mangas.
G-Saviour is set another century after that, in the early THIRD century UC - a time period that is being totally ignored.

So while Sunrise's policy of "it's animated, it's official" makes G-Saviour canon, the fact is that it's so distant from the rest of the UC that Sunrise(and most of the fans) simply choose to pretend it doesn't exist.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

Arguably, Sunrise has had zero involvement with the Crossbone series. Tomino doesn't really count either since the old coot gave up UC ages ago. That being said, Unicorn is essentially the cutoff point for anything Sunrise wants to acknowledge with the UC era. Sad, very sad.
pd771

Sunrise seems to like the Crossbone series, since they make money for them through model kits and don't cost them that much. They just don't seem to think it's worth any more investment than what they are giving it, which might be true.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Kuruni

pd771 wrote:Sunrise seems to like the Crossbone series, since they make money for them through model kits and don't cost them that much. They just don't seem to think it's worth any more investment than what they are giving it, which might be true.
Sunrise doesn't make Gunpla, Bandai is. And the latter doesn't care about officialness as long as it make money :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
zerogradius

Deacon Blues wrote:
zerogradius wrote:Until an official announcement is made declaring it to be non-cannon, or Sunrise releases material that contradicts the events of G-Savior, then it will remain cannon. However, since it takes place so far down the line in the UC timeline and no one, including Sunrise, seems to care for it, then it does not matter wither way.
If Big West can relegate Macross II as an alternate universe series, then Sunrise can do the same as well, no matter what rule they decree.

And while Sunrise is focusing on the one year war and the years following it, eventually UC Gundam will have to shift to later years, most likely the Zanscare era. I'm hoping that the Unicorn anime will in some way introduce us to the birth to Zanscare as the EF gradually begins to lose power from that point on.
HalfDemonInuyasha

zerogradius wrote:And while Sunrise is focusing on the one year war and the years following it, eventually UC Gundam will have to shift to later years, most likely the Zanscare era. I'm hoping that the Unicorn anime will in some way introduce us to the birth to Zanscare as the EF gradually begins to lose power from that point on.
Not very likely as Unicorn is UC 0096 and Victory is 0153. The most logical bit would be, in terms of things already part of the official timeline, the build-up of the Crossbone Vanguard with help from the Buch Concern as F91 is the closest following story to Unicorn (UC 0123).

Perhaps, in terms of unofficial stories, get the F90 series involved officially and Mars Zeon/the Oldsmobile Army done as they're really the last Zeon-related group left in UC before the Crossbone Vanguard. They even got their hands on the beam shield for Charles Rochester's custom RF Gelgoog to use through connections with the Crossbone Vanguard.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Deacon Blues

zerogradius wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
If Big West can relegate Macross II as an alternate universe series, then Sunrise can do the same as well, no matter what rule they decree.
First, Sunrise isn't Big West. Second, regardless of whether or not they fling something off into another 'universe' it's a bit difficult to do. Once something is established it's a bit hard to contradict it. You can keep holding out for a 'non-canon' disclosure from Japan but you won't be getting one (waiting for the word canon to even appear from the Japanese will leave you old and gray).

Like it or not it's here to stay. Sunrise doesn't retcon their works like other companies do ;) (at least for Gundam).
Imperial

zerogradius wrote:And while Sunrise is focusing on the one year war and the years following it, eventually UC Gundam will have to shift to later years, most likely the Zanscare era. I'm hoping that the Unicorn anime will in some way introduce us to the birth to Zanscare as the EF gradually begins to lose power from that point on.
Sunrise doesn't "have to" do anything. That's doubly true if the One Year War continues to be a license to print money.

Victory Gundam is, by comparison, a waste. It's not especially popular or lucrative. Sunrise has little incentive to revisit the 0150s in any big way.
This space for rent
ShadowCell

And if Sunrise is trying to write an end to the Federation-Zeon conflict in Unicorn, they really can't go dredging the Oldsmobile Army out of the vast swamp of Gundam sidestories and still preserve what they seem to be going for in Unicorn. If the Sleeves are Aladdin, the Oldsmobile Army is The Return of Jafar--the wholly unnecessary, phoned-in direct-to-video sequel.

Well, I suppose they could, but that would step all over Unicorn's toes.
Dark Duel

ShadowCell wrote:If the Sleeves are Aladdin, the Oldsmobile Army is The Return of Jafar--the wholly unnecessary, phoned-in direct-to-video sequel.
Concur. (The sad thing is, Aladdin got TWO of those dreadful things).
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Darrien

Maybe a little off topic... but I kinda just want a new One Year War, full 50-some odd episode anime, that is filled with 3-4 (more or less depending on plot/character) episode arcs featuring plots and characters from throughout the war. It'd help fill in the back story, Sunrise could decide what they do and don't consider official, and....

...well, I can always hold out hope for some more animated Kusko Al, right?
HalfDemonInuyasha

I doubt we'll ever get another longer OYW-related series. The most we can hope for is 6-12 episode OVAs given a lot of the side stories involved in the OYW aren't very long, as nearly important, and/or are involved in so many different events compared to the White Base and Gundam.

Though, it would be nice to get animations of OYW things we've only had manga, games, etc for...Rise from the Ashes (White Dingo Team), Blue Destiny, Space, To the End of a Flash (Thoroughbred/16th Autonomous Corps), Zeonic Front (animated RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam and Armored GM would be cool) and so on.