MS IGLOO And SRW:OG: Coming To America

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Imperial

Though the real issue here is Bandai Visual's pricing when there's no dub. If a company does release a sub only DVD, it tends to be far cheaper with more episodes. BV obviously has no concept of competative pricing.
And that is what this all comes down to.

I would have no problem shelling out a wad of cash for BV's releases if their prices made any sense. If there's no dub cost to cover, then the DVD should be cheaper, I would think. The same could be said of fewer episodes per DVD.

But, no, BV thinks that giving us a bare bones release at ludicrous prices is good business sense. It boggles the mind. I wonder how much longer they'll be able to afford staying open.
This space for rent
Annon Kaies Zi

As I've only recently gotten back into Gundam, and don't bother keeping up with much other anime, can someone explain the difference between Bandai Visual and Bandai Entertainment? Why would there be two divisions doing, seemingly, the same thing? And what is the different between said divisions; which gets which anime? And why?
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
Imperial

Annon Kaies Zi wrote:As I've only recently gotten back into Gundam, and don't bother keeping up with much other anime, can someone explain the difference between Bandai Visual and Bandai Entertainment? Why would there be two divisions doing, seemingly, the same thing? And what is the different between said divisions; which gets which anime? And why?
I'm probably over-simplifying, but here goes...

Bandai Visual is a branch dedicated to bringing over anime in its "raw" form, likely as a way of appealing to the more hard core members of the anime fan base. Their releases are almost always without a dub or much of anything in the way of extras. They also tend to carry a rather hefty price tag by North American standards. All of these things are common in the Japan anime market, but they cut against the grain of what most North American consumes are used to. From my experiences, Bandai Visual tends to go for "cult classics" like Gunbuster or Original Generation; any show that doesn't have a huge fanbase but could still turn a profit if that core fanbase chips in.

Bandai Entertainment is the "Americanized" counterpart. They release most, if not all, of their products with a dub track and a handful of extras. Their releases tend to be much cheaper than Bandai Visual's. They're responsible for the Gundam SEED installments and other more "main stream" titles.

Anyone who knows more on the subject is free to correct me or add anything I might have missed.
This space for rent
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Ascension wrote:I've noticed you making a number of pro-dub comments here, MV6000, and that's fine, you're certainly free to express your opinions, but keep in mind that some people prefer (some to the point of refusing to watch anything but) subs. Remember that everytime you go "Yay dub!" or "Boo sub!" someone else is doing the opposite. I'd just like to give you a friendly warning before you find your view being challenged/questioned in a possibly unfriendly manner.

That being said, I'm personally miffed about the outrageous price point myself, as I've stated elsewhere.
I love dub but I also like sub I have no problem with sub but I would rather watch dub

Im glad MS IGLOO is coming to the States but at a price like that I wish it would at least have dub
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Annon Kaies Zi

So MS IGLOO is not going to be dubbed. Wasn't aware of that. But what about Gundam SEED Destiny Special Edition? It was announced around the same time as MS IGLOO, but I can't recall which division it releasing it...
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
Destiny_Gundam

Bandai Entertainment has the rights to Destiny, so there will be a dub.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mark064

From what I understand. The main thing to note is that while Bandai Visual and Bandai Entertainment are owned by the same company they basically act as two totally seperate companies. Bandai Visual is in control of itself more so, while Bandai Entertainment is more so the slave of Bandai.l
DeltasTaii

Well, just for fun, let's do this as a hierarchy

Bandai>Bandai Visual>Bandai Visual USA
Bandai>Bandai America>Bandai Entertainment Inc.

Bandai Visual USA is just an American arm of Bandai's DVD/Video part, and employs only like...5 employees or something. They had Geneon doing distribution even, resulting in them now being pretty much online only for the moment. It's basically just Bandai Visual's office in America.

Bandai Entertainment is the DVD/Video arm of Bandai America, with its own, albeit rapidly shrinking production and distribution. (note for example, Destiny jumped to outsourced menu design around vol.4 when a bunch of those people were let go).

The former gets told what to release by Bandai Japan and is plenty happy to do it since they pay them directly anyways, while Bandai Entertainment is actually trying to make a go as an American business whilst having stuff thrown down their throat by the Japanese parent, and I believe still has a profit ultimatum over their heads like last year, the first time they even managed to not lose money. Somehow this results in me having GSD T-Shirts I really don't care about :lol:
Kuruni

Jack149 at gamer-gate.net post screen comparision between TV and DVD editions. And man, this is what we call visual enhanced.

Take a look

Another one

Since the visual is possible largest flaw of series, this may worth picking. On other hand, this also show how rushy TV serie was.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Destiny_Gundam

That's almost as disgusting as the difference between the Nanoha StrikerS TV and DVD versions.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
South Burning

About a week before the first MS Igloo release was announced, I e-mailed the "contact us" Bandai Entertainment link and asked just what was planned for Gundam fans for the near future, seeing as GSD only had 2 more discs to go and the MS Igloo releases were an "as-yet-to-be-announced". The reply was "We have nothing to announce...". I wish I knew just how Bandai views their American audience, for they seem to be either taking us for granted with releases like MS Igloo or treating us as a second-rate fan base by giving us the merest trickle of material. I expect us to get "00" in much the same fashion as we were given Seed and Destiny, but American fans are screaming for higher quality in what we DO get (I think a lot of the sound track in Destiny was sub-par, for example) and for more variety as well, but Bandai seems to be casting a blind eye our way. It seems to me that a savvy marketeer in Japan that really understood the U.S. would be giving us more and better stuff.
Wedge14

Kuruni wrote: Another one
I can't help but LOL at the Lettuce. But a lot of the other changes seem really trivial. Like sure Shu looks like freaking hilarious looking in the TV versions and more 'cool' in the DVD, but who's gonna notice something like that? (besides the guy who already did :P)

I really wanna see this series, but at the crazy mad prices. I don't think I ever will.

:idea:

Anyone wanna buy them for me? :roll:
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!