Blood+

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
solid snake

Blood+

This originally came from Science Fiction Weekly at scif.com:

Adult Swim Gets Blood+

Sony Pictures Television has sold 50 episodes of the Japanese vampire anime series Blood+ to Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's sister channel, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The half-hour show is slated to air Saturdays as part of a late-night anime block, starting March 10.

Blood+ originally was produced in Japan by Aniplex Inc., a Tokyo-based animation company that is part of Sony Music Entertainment, and is distributed by SPT. It's been dubbed into English for the U.S. market.

Blood+ is based on the 2000 hit Japanese anime film Blood: The Last Vampire, which also is being adapted into a live-action film directed by Ronny Yu.

The series, set in modern-day Okinawa, centers on a high-school senior named Saya Otonashi, who, unable to remember the past, must rediscover her destiny in order to defeat the vampires that threaten her loved ones.

Oscar-winning composer Hans Zimmer (The Last Samurai) scored the series. Hideo Katsumata and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa are the executive producers of the show, which is produced by Aniplex in association with SPT.

I for one am very excited about this. I loved the OVA, so I'm hoping this will be great as well.
Last edited by solid snake on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Wingnut

Moved to Anime and Magna.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Duo

Ummm... WHEEE!

Except I hope this is being shown on normal Adult swim.. not the extra CN/Anime channel... I will be upset if I won't be able to see this... :cry:
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Brave Fencer Kirby

Duo wrote:Except I hope this is being shown on normal Adult swim.. not the extra CN/Anime channel...
It will be. Adult Swim is technically considered a seperate channel from Cartoon Network for the purposes of ratings and the like, even though it's the same channel on your TV.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
solid snake

Well after seeing the first episode I can definitely say that it's pretty cool. The animation is excellent, just as it was in the OVA, though there are a few mysteries. It appears that Saya fought chiropterans in Vietnam, but she has no memory before year ago, and the series is set in modern day Okinawa. And for some reason Saya looks younger than she did in the OVA. Overall this looks like a great show and I'm excited to see where it goes.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Nagi

solid snake wrote:And for some reason Saya looks younger than she did in the OVA. Overall this looks like a great show and I'm excited to see where it goes.
That's because Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+ are separate entities, something akin to how Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex are separate. Blood: The Last Vampire follows this whole, big, multimedia nonsense which used a novel, a manga, and a couple PS2 games to tell the bulk of the story, with the short movie acting as a sort of filler chapter to entice newcomers to pick up the rest. Unfortunately for us non-Japanese folk, it didn't work out, because the book and comic came out here several years after the movie, and several years after hype for Blood: The Last Vampire had long since died down. And of course, we'll never get the PS2 games.

Blood+, to my knowledge, is more of a shounenified retelling with no connection to the original. Disappointed me greatly when I heard that, which is why I stopped watching Blood+ back when it was fansubbed. I figure I may as well give it a second chance, though, since it's on TV now. And hey, anything's better than Trinity Blood, which is what used to foul up that timeslot.