Best mecha anime show

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

What new mech anime should I watch next

Poll ended at Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:14 pm

After war gundam X
23%
Gundam: the 08th MS team
42%
Dougram
6%
Dragon's Hvn
No votes
Dunbine
6%
L. Gaim
No votes
Megazone 23
6%
Mospeada
3%
Patlobar
13%

Total votes: 31
wizerdman5

Best mecha anime show

I'm looking for a new mecha anime to watch. Heres what i've seen already:
-gundam seed + seed destiny
-gundam wing
-all of the robotechs
-g gundam
-eureka 7

If you think theres a really good mecha anime thats not on my poll please tell me.
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

How about ZOE: the stand alone film IDOLO and the series Dolores i. Both Good Fun

and Rahxephon and Evangelion more super robot but still both excellent.

From the list the Patlabor movies are excellent but light on the mecha action.

8th MS is loverly.

Really Just try and watch as many as you can lay your hands on : )
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
RedShirt0909

I've only seen 8th MS from that list, but that was very good. One thing it has you usually don't get is that it centers on a line unit rather than a fancy new prototype. Also short (12 eps), so it can be done in a day.
Yea, though I sail through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am conning ten thousand tons of 'screw you'
Strike Zero

Any Gundam series that you haven't seen yet; The original Gundam, the 08th MS team, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, etc.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Zeonic Glory

I gots suggestions! Zeta Gundam, Char's Counterattack, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Zeta is magnificent in mecha, plot, character development, and its hard to guess what happens next. CCA is a great movie and ends the rivalry with Char and Amuro while getting Zeon to STOP rising from the ashes (for a time anyways...). Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great mecha show. It will make you question yourself, has awesome mechs, and Shinji's revlation (non-movie ep 26) is worth all the plot delopment in the world.

Another suggestion is Victory Gundam. If you have seen Zeta, this is what ZZ should have been. Nothing like adavnced core block system and beam shields.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Kokopelli

I'd suggest any series from the 80's. That's where mecha (well realistic mecha) was at its prime.
Volnixshin

Gundam X is definatly a good one. I saw a few eipisode a long time ago and was completly blown away..wish I could see the rest of the series though. <.< >.> :cry:
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Phantomexe87

I reconmend 08th MS Team, some great gritty combat action.
J-Lead

I vote for 08th MS team. It had a great new look at the OYW, and despite all the attitude it sometimes gets for adding MS that no one could have possibly imagined ("Mass produced gundams? Pre production GM? Preposterous!",) and adding conflicts that no one else had thought of before ("Conflict in Southeast Asia? That wasn't mentioned in MSG!",) it really turns out to be a very well-thought-out OVA with a brand new style for Gundam anime that has never been done before (or again, for that matter, so I suggest watching it, cuz it's very rare to get a animated story covering the average pilot rather than some plot-shielded adolescant or super-skilled ace.)

I'd also recommend Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, despite the critisizm it gets for being canon-offensive. It was great in my book.
Vanishing Meteor

i voted the 08th MS team since it shows plenty of action by regular pilots...not newtypes or super-genetically engineered pilots...

also try ZOE: Zone of the Enders,Martian Successor:Nadesico,Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and a personal favorite of mine..

Vandread..hehehe...(plenty of chicks)
"There's no point on blaming on who's right and who's wrong, all there is left to do is hope and wait for tomorrow to come."
silencer.001

As others have said, any gundam you haven't seen, Zone Of The Enders, Escaflowne is a good one, i enjoyed that one
Ravager

Escaflowne is excellent,but i voted for Mospeada.Though its animation is quite like MSG,i watched it when i was a kid and came away impressed.It's a great anime
kupoartist

To me, the following is the cream of the crop of what i've watched: Zeta Gundam, Escaflowne, Gundam 0080, Macross Plus, Macross, Turn-A Gundam and the third Gundam 0079 movie.

Gundam wise, i'd therefore recommend a diet of the Gundam movie trilogy followed by the Zeta Gundam series and then Gundam 0080. The movie trilogy is a bit shakey, but it's good, cheap fun. I'd not recommend Turn-A though I adore it. It's an aquired taste, and something you should try later on. I've watched rather too much Gundam, especially when you consider how little of it I rate highly :P

Escaflowne is kind of like a modernised Aura Battler Dunbine. It's very, very fun though occasionally girly :P Macross Plus is an essential even if you don't feel up to watching Macross in non-robotech form (I'm unsure of the differences, i've never seen Robotech).

Of your list, i've seen bits of Dunbine and L-Gaim, and seen all of Gundam X and 08TH MS Team.

The only one I wouldn't rate highly enough is Gundam X, but as you're rather more of a commited Alternate Universe Gundam fan than I am, X may actually be up your street (People are right when they say that Gundam X should probably have followed Gundam Wing back when Bandai were trying to launch the franchise in the west. It's similar in ways, but probably a lot better in others).

Dunbine interests me, but at the same time, I had trouble sitting down and watching I lost track of where I was in the series. L-Gaim is simply very hard to get hold of, and i've seen too little to judge it. The 08th MS Team is interesting enough, but you are yet to watch 0079, so you don't really have the context of what's happening, and there are better Gundam properties to visit first.

I'm personally interested in Patlabor, though only the movies. They're a good grab regardless (though I still don't know whether I should take the dive and get the special editions...).

Final mention to Victory Gundam, which I cannot decide how much I like. It stands alone very well and it starts very promisingly, but I've come to find certain characters poorly motivated and highly irritating.
wizerdman5

sorry but I frogot to mention that I've seen Evangalion and Escaflowne, plus I've seen the first dozen episodes of gundam X(I found it for lack of a better word predictable). But thx everyone for your suggestions!

And plz keep posting!
Toxicity

The best mecha series that I've actually made a point to keep track of would have to be Eureka Seven. I remember the very first episode when it aired, and Renton was all emo and he kept saying "Man this sucks". But now he's a fircken ace LFO pilot who scored the really hot coralian chick!

Talk about character development. I love it!
solid snake

While I haven't seen most of those series, I love 08th MS Team.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Aegis

Well, you mentioned you watched Robotech, but you made no mention of watching any of the original series that Robotech used. So, if that's the case, I highly recommend you watch stuff from the Macross series, specifically SDF Macross, Do You Remember Love, and Plus.

I'd also throw in RahXephon, as I find it to be easier to digest than Evangelion.

If you choose to watch MegaZone 23, I highly recommend you watch Part 1 moreso than Part 2 and 3. It actually had nicer animation, and a more compelling story. Part 2 and 3, especially Part 2, in spite of the animation being 'modernized' just wasn't quite up to par.

If you can also get your hands on the likes of Gunbuster and the original Dangaio (not the butchered version that is now commonly being distributed), you'll have something to add to the collection.
flamingtroll

I can't believe no one mentioned Ideon. The movies themselves are good enough to merit sitting through the TV series (which I found to be ok, but not excellent). The movies are cool though
Jams

I voted for Gundam X, it's probably the best AU out there. I would recommend 08th MS team definatly, but since you've already watched some Gundam X you might as well finish it off.

If you want a break from the "Real Robot" genre, then I recommend Rahxephon - especialy since you've already watched Eva, since they get compared so much. So yeah, its worth the watch.

As for the UC Gundam series - you can watch the trilogy and Zeta if you want, but I'ld watch the stuff I mentioned above before that (although you might get more enjoyment out of X if you watch the movie trilogy)
-Coming Soon-
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Aura Battler Dunbine, if you want something new and different.

P.S. dont get attached to any characters
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke