The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
battletech

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

What!? I love the hedge clippers. It's about as silly as using a scythe which is also a agricultural hand tool. Anything can be used as a weapon. I also love the comment he made when he used it. They knew people would think it's silly.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Dark Duel

That's a good point. Another good point is that the "Hedge Clippers", looking at them, are almost more like "Hedge Smashers", since they seem to crush rather than actually cut whatever they happen to catch...which, in a series in which the go-to method of causing damage to other units at close range seems to be inflicting severe blunt-force trauma with large metal objects, is actually kind of appropriate.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
hitokirigarou

I wouldn't be surprised if Vidar is Ein's consciousness in Gaelio's body.
Dark Duel

I'm no professional writer, but even from my own limited experience in writing, let me tell you: Occam's Razor is very much your friend. When trying to craft a narrative, the simplest possible way of getting across what you want to get across is always going to be the best one.

I mention this for one reason: Unnecessary complications of relatively simple concepts very, very rarely end well. And, no offense meant, that is an unnecessary complication.
Additionally, it doesn't actually make sense narratively when you consider what we know:
(1) Montero-head is voiced by Masaya Matsukaze, who previously voiced Gaelio Bauduin.
(2) Montero-head is specifically targeting McGillis, whom he refers to by first name only - thus, his grudge is against McGillis personally.
(3) McGillis betrayed and attempted to kill Gaelio in the previous season; very valid reason for a very personal grudge.
(4) Ein had literally no reason to be targeting McGillis - on the contrary, IIRC it was McGillis who pushed for Ein's integration via AV-System into the Graze Ein, overriding Gaelio's objections. Ein's grudge, rather, was with Tekkadan, and with Mikazuki in particular.
(5) We have no idea whether it's even possible to transfer a human consciousness into a non-human body. But I'm inclined to think not, otherwise it would've been done with Ein in the first place. Offhand I can only think of three instances in Gundam where something like this have occurred in the past - all involved psychic powers, and one involved characters who weren't technically human in the first place.

Thus, the simplest and most logical explanation is, as has been mentioned, that Montero-head is Gaelio, and he's out for revenge against his former best buddy who betrayed and attempted to kill him.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

I'm more curious now that how come he survive, especially against McGillis' precision kill.

...Maybe it would be reveal that while that stab would kill anyone else, Gaelio's brain is only half the size of normal person, and thus he can survive even if good chunk of his head is gone. (j/k)

Personally, while I agree that Gaelio is the most sensible choice to be Vidar, I still don't drop possibility that it's someone else. Maybe the mask has Gaelio's synthetic voice solely to mess with McGillis. Maybe it's Carta with cyber body.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Brave Fencer Kirby

You can see during the final battle of the first season that the attack that disabled the Kimaris missed the cockpit. Or, well, it actually hits the cockpit, but the armor on the cockpit hatch successfully diverts the blow. Screenshots here.

My question isn't how Gaelio survived the mecha battle, but how he avoided either being killed or captured by McGillis after his defeat, and why he decided to reappear as a mysterious masked man rather than just showing up as himself and denouncing McGillis for secretly working against Gjallarhorn and trying to kill the head of one of the Seven Stars families in order to seize power for himself. That seems like a much easier way to derail McGillis' plans (whatever they actually are).
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
YokozunaBulldozer

Now I am curious how messed up his face is under that mask.
Is it Wade Wilson bad or Bootsholtz from Cyberformula bad is my question.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Kuruni

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:My question isn't how Gaelio survived the mecha battle, but how he avoided either being killed or captured by McGillis after his defeat
I include that part in "how come he survive?". But looking at those screenshot and think more about it, I guess whoever recover the Kimaris help him and fake his death (which is likely why he can't just reveal himself, whoever save him need him to stay dead for time being). Pretty sure McGillis leave Gaelio to be found like that (since even Almiria heared her big bro was KIA, not just MIA), but then someone like McGillis should know better to make sure he's really dead. Then again, maybe McGillis simply make a slip of judgement since he was killing his friend.
Amion

battletech wrote:What!? I love the hedge clippers. It's about as silly as using a scythe which is also a agricultural hand tool. Anything can be used as a weapon. I also love the comment he made when he used it. They knew people would think it's silly.
The difference with a scythe is that it's also the weapon of the Grim Reaper himself, and thus has a more forbidding appearance and proposition than hedge clippers. No, it's not a good weapon, not unless it has a spear at the end, thus making it sort-of kinda a pole axe weapon, and even then it can be easy to dodge.

Also, pincers are a good weapon, which is what the City Clippers are, but these require a very straight-forward easy-to-read attack pattern. Why can't the clippers just work like with the Kyros' shield? That was a more practical means of using pincer claws.

But at least someone likes it, that makes me feel a bit less sorry for the designers. Err, no offense intended.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kuruni

Amion wrote:Also, pincers are a good weapon, which is what the City Clippers are, but these require a very straight-forward easy-to-read attack pattern. Why can't the clippers just work like with the Kyros' shield? That was a more practical means of using pincer claws.
You seem to forget that the thing used to be a simple heavy shield, try think of it as a shield with pincer as extra gimmick instead of main function. But of course, it would be help if Full City has other melee option.
Amion

Suffice to say that while true, the Full City's shield/clipper is nowhere near as efficient at what it does as the Kyros' gimmick.
False Prophet

I didn't live through SEED and 00 eras, but does anyone see that with recent Gundam series, Sunrise has been less more active with producing tie-in items? Novels, MSV, ect.
Kuruni

The battle carries on from last episode and it's awesome even if not long. Julietta seem to be a little overconfident, but is a good pilot nonetheless.

Since the prevous episode it seem range attack is more effective than S1, although not reliable as killing blow.

I like the direction Hush seem to heading, way better than betrayal.

Man, the scene at Allium's office is surprisely fun to watch. Nice to see that Mika has no problem using gun with his left hand.

Kudelia is great character. It's clear that she know what happened to Allium and accept it as necessary, yet consider it's her responsibility that it has to be done. She's also fully aware that their rely on brute force make things as whole worse and they need to do better.

It seem that the focus on this episode is to drive the point home that the game is changed. Just fight for survival is not enough for Tekkadan anymore, and they even become ally with McGillis (although we've no idea if it's good thing or not). Really, the third Gundam for their group should be big new in previous season, now it just seem to be a tagalong bonus.

Look like the next one will be without action.
False Prophet wrote:I didn't live through SEED and 00 eras, but does anyone see that with recent Gundam series, Sunrise has been less more active with producing tie-in items? Novels, MSV, ect.
Not less at all. During G, W, X, Turn A era, there won't be anything more than few manga.
SNT1

Another good one. though not as action-intense as the last one.

+I continue to enjoy the Gllajahorn infighting, and doing it without actually actively engaging battle with each other (just a few shoves here and there), though Mika was apparently fair game.

+That Allium scene gets rid of smarmy guys efficiently with Mika onboard, lol

+I have hope that Hush will be one of the best non-AV guys, I hope he doesn't end up being a major screwup/hindrance, at least not until the end episodes

+I am not sure which side is yet the correct side, but that ominous music pretty much foreshadows that teaming up with McGillis is BAD NEWS in the long run. There's also another foreshadowing where Naze laments that Orga can't play politics well

+Shino had that "I'm getting that Gandamu!!" look :mrgreen:

-Ehhh, and now we have an exposition episode coming up. I hope it expands on Gjallahorn infighting, but will most likely also focus on the younger Orphans that 29 episodes later I still do not care about/bother learning their names
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
NBMech

I hope we get more mikazuki and hush scenes next episode.
Strike105

For some odd reason, with all the focus he's getting, I'm getting the vibe that S2 is trying to build up Hush to take over lead protag duties from Mika.

Mika's the first physically disabled main protagonist we've had in active duty as far as I'm aware, and since he's still using the same machine while also using the same method that eventually crippled him in the first place, there's a good chance that his condition will worsen to a point where he will either be rendered incapable of participating in combat anymore, or he will die. I don't really see this series ending without one of those outcomes.

Since Hush doesn't have, nor is he eligible to get traditional AV, he has the potential to build up his abilities and become a skilled pilot without running the risk of dealing with the negative effects of the AV like Mika currently is. I feel that eventually, he will surpass Mika in one way or another, or at the very least, he will be able to pick up the slack and finish whatever objective that Mika may fail.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see, but that's the vibe I'm getting.
Chris
Administrator

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:My question isn't how Gaelio survived the mecha battle, but how he avoided either being killed or captured by McGillis after his defeat, and why he decided to reappear as a mysterious masked man rather than just showing up as himself and denouncing McGillis for secretly working against Gjallarhorn and trying to kill the head of one of the Seven Stars families in order to seize power for himself. That seems like a much easier way to derail McGillis' plans (whatever they actually are).

I can think of two reasons for Gaelio's actions:

1. He doesn't have enough evidence against McGillis, so publicly denouncing him might not be effective.
2. Possibly resulting from 1, he's secretly working behind the scenes and letting McGillis build himself up real high so he can come in at the right moment and tear him down.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Amion

In line with Galileo... but wasn't it supposedly his responsibility, as set up by McGillis, that Mecha Ein went on his rampage? He was under his authority and went on tramping through the city. I'm sure that hurts his posthumous rep to some extent. McGillis mentions this while explaining his dastardly plan to Galileo in their final moments together.
Dark Duel

That is actually a good point, and I would expect that McGillis arranging to pin Mecha-Ein's rampage on Gaelio on top of attempting to kill him would have substantially hurt his reputation within Gjallarhorn, which would possibly have at least as much to do with his decision to go masked, especially if he does not have concrete evidence of McGillis's guilt in these events.

On another note, I do find it interesting that the Vidar seems to break with the naming theme of previous Gundams, as "Vidar" is not a name taken from the Ars Goetia, but the name of a Norse God of, IIRC, vengeance(which is appropriate given the context of his vendetta against McGillis).
Of course, my theory(for which I have no evidence) is that "Vidar" was built from the frame of Kimaris, but that's just my thoughts.

Kuruni

It appear that "Full City" is reference to coffee bean roasting. Found it on Japanese Wikipedia, citing Great Mechanic G 2016 Autumn.

So while Turbine girls think of Gusion as cake (rebake), Teiwaz guys are cofee nuts?