pilots talking with each other including their enemies?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Den

pilots talking with each other including their enemies?

not sure where to post this but here it goes, there have been instances wherein two pilots who are fighting each other are able to talk even though it is not shown or implied that they have communication lines open to each other. do they broadcast their monologues on all available channel or they are just talking with themselves and the other pilot is also talking with themselves? the problem i have with this would be that how can they answer each other if they are not broadcasting? :D
domino

Re: pilots talking with each other including their enemies?

In UC, this typically happens due to newtype-magic or the same broadcasting that you already figured. Kou spoke with Gato using that method.

In AU, it really differs greatly and it's just a plot device. Sometimes there are explanations such as when Athrun arrives in Justice Gundam and is able to talk to Freedom since they are both in ZAFT units.

As in real-life though, there may be open channels which pilots use for banter and identifying friendlies
Deathzealot

Not to mention other ways to communicate like the mentioned Newtype Magic which is how some are able to talk to one another with people like Amuro and Char along with the SEED example in Rau and Mu. Other ways include laser-linked communications and the UC SkinTalk Method. Other examples are just that open channels. However we also have one example in SEED where Athrun is trying to find a Radio Channel to talk to the Strike during one of the early episodes which the two friends continue to use over the course of the series till they get their new Gundams in the second half of the series. However as far as I am aware that is the only example I know of a pilot trying to find the right frequency to talk to someone.
monster

Deathzealot wrote:However we also have one example in SEED where Athrun is trying to find a Radio Channel to talk to the Strike during one of the early episodes which the two friends continue to use over the course of the series till they get their new Gundams in the second half of the series. However as far as I am aware that is the only example I know of a pilot trying to find the right frequency to talk to someone.
If that's the case, I suppose the other example would be when Athrun in the Saviour tried to talk to Kira when the latter first showed up in the Freedom.
Deathzealot

I had forgotten he did the same in the Savior. Hmmm... I have to rewatch the earlier SEED battles again for I may have been thinking about that scene.
Den

yeah i was mostly talking about the non-newtype battles, like the ones where kira and shinn fought and they do have connecting dialogues i think. it is kind of interesting to note though however weird the storyline of the Greco, in order for them to talk they intentionally show the contact communication during the monologues
Deathzealot

Exactly. That was pretty darn sweet. The one scene where Belleri finds out that the man he was fighting was actually his teacher who himself suddenly knew who he was fighting due to his fighting style. Speaking of that. I think that is another way for other pilots to know one another. Fighting Styles.
MythSearcher

Den wrote:yeah i was mostly talking about the non-newtype battles, like the ones where kira and shinn fought and they do have connecting dialogues i think. it is kind of interesting to note though however weird the storyline of the Greco, in order for them to talk they intentionally show the contact communication during the monologues
Use open channels if you don't care about your superiors.
(who will likely scold you for talking during combat especially if you sounded friendly to enemies)
Use the International distress frequency if you are that desperate(or being very annoying) to talk to others, usually everyone has that line open waiting for SOS signals, occupying that frequency does not seem to bother anyone in the shows. Once connected, you can change to other frequencies.
domino

Deathzealot wrote:However as far as I am aware that is the only example I know of a pilot trying to find the right frequency to talk to someone.
In addition to the mentioned attempt by Athrun in Saviour, there's also Gato vs Kou at Konpei Island where Kou is broadcasting and tells Gato which channel to use to respond. If that's legit then there may be some one-way open channels purely for broadcasting while others allow for two-way communication.

There's also the curious case of Shiro vs Norris where Norris hears what Shiro is saying about Aina IIRC
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Den wrote:yeah i was mostly talking about the non-newtype battles, like the ones where kira and shinn fought and they do have connecting dialogues i think.
I don't seem to remember that, most of the time Shinn is just ranting about how Kira killed Stella and how he won't get away. If Shinn could have had an intelligent conversation during that I would have been surprised ;)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Henyo

monster wrote: If that's the case, I suppose the other example would be when Athrun in the Saviour tried to talk to Kira when the latter first showed up in the Freedom.
which i find weird. shouldn't Athrun know the Freedom's frequency by heart? even if Kira and co did change it over the 2 years. surely, they must have kept in contact? (then again, he was surprised to see Kira on the battlefield again.) :?

would it be futile to talk instances of this in G Gundam then? haven't gotten to rewatching it but i don't recall any of the fighters typing on a screen or doing a mental command.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
monster

Henyo wrote:which i find weird. shouldn't Athrun know the Freedom's frequency by heart? even if Kira and co did change it over the 2 years. surely, they must have kept in contact? (then again, he was surprised to see Kira on the battlefield again.) :?
Well, even Kira didn't know that the Freedom survived. And Athrun didn't know how to contact the Archangel either. They apparently kept everything under wrap and changed a few things.
Dendrobium Stamen

It's also possible that Athrun never actually knew the best frequency to contact Freedom on; it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Justice's comms system just had a "talk to Freedom" channel pre-programmed in (and vice-versa), given that they were sibling machines.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
SonicSP

This may not be the exact same thing but there was one example in 00 Season 2 Episode 9 where Tieria and Setsuna were talking to each other while cruising before Ali out of nowhere says "that's what you think" as a response to their conversation and attacks them. I thought that was a bit weird unless Setsuna and Tieria were talking on an open channel - which isn't exactly a smart idea. Either that or Ali broke into their encryption protocols in whatever communication medium they were using.

There was also the final battle of Season 1 where Graham just opened a channel to Setsuna and somehow they managed to see each other. I guess this one was open.
monster

So, episode 2 of Iron-Blooded Orphans is the latest instance of this phenomenon. If I'm not mistaken, it seems in this case that they simply broadcast it out so anyone can hear, even those not inside a mobile unit. At least, that's what it sounds like in some parts.
Deathzealot

Honestly I think they where talking over loudspeakers for that is what it seemed like what the Captain was doing in the last episode to rattle his enemies.
monster

Ah, yes, loudspeaker, that's the word that I was looking for.