Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Re: Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

Oh, I was focusing so much on the recent news that I forgot to note the press release prior to this one. Two more releases were announced, and one of them was rather surprising:

For May 3rd, we have GUNDAM EVOLVE on DVD and MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM: A NEW TRANSLATION on DVD. Both will contain all of their respective entries--15 for Evolve, 3 for Zeta: ANT.
Chris wrote:[Having seen how both Z and ZZ look on Blu-ray, I can tell you that you are mistaken and it makes a big difference. Don't bother with DVDs unless you have no choice.
That's interesting to know. I always assumed they'd be too clean and would look sort of "sketchy."
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Omnislayer

I've seen a single episode of the bluray version of ZZ and it looks fantastic. I can't wait to watch the whole thing that way when this hits.
PSN- blackatt66
Steam- omni_slayer
Outlaw

Having gotten the MSG blurays for Christmas I can also confirm that they do look noticeably better. I can't quite put it in to words but it's more crisp, or sharp I guess.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Omnislayer

Yes that does look great as well, but perhaps do to it's age, MSG on Blu-ray isn't quite as big of a jump visually as ZZ and (presumably)Zeta are.

It still looks quite a bit better than the DVDs though.
PSN- blackatt66
Steam- omni_slayer
LightningCount

These releases are happening faster and faster: Gundam X DVD Part 2 & Gundam ZZ DVD/Blu-ray Part 2 coming in July (7/5/16): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... nc/.100766
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Iris Scope

Release of Gundam Build Fighters on BluRay/DVD coming on August 2:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -2/.101773
Strike105

Interesting thing to know is that GBF's North American release will apparently be using the Animax Dub: https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/727954419782848512
Dustman

Good grief. So then why didn't we get the coveted Animax dub for ZZ?

Anyway, this is great news! Build Fighters is a children's show so this will only increase its accessibility. Great choice on Sunrise's part. I hope they do the same for AGE. I've been morbidly curious about that dub for years now. The clips I've seen fit the content like a glove.
Omnislayer

I've heard the Animax dub isn't nearly as bad as their reputation would indicate.

So I guess there's that.
PSN- blackatt66
Steam- omni_slayer
Quiddity

In case people want a sneak peak at what the ZZ Blu Ray volume 1 packaging looks like, including a few sample photos of the video quality.

http://imgur.com/a/MdJJR

Gundam X volume 1 has also arrived but haven't gotten a chance to look through that much yet.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
LightningCount

Quiddity wrote:In case people want a sneak peak at what the ZZ Blu Ray volume 1 packaging looks like, including a few sample photos of the video quality.

http://imgur.com/a/MdJJR

Gundam X volume 1 has also arrived but haven't gotten a chance to look through that much yet.
I've been going through the new release of Gundam X Part 1. Given the source material, and the fact that it's never been remastered, it's probably about as good of a DVD transfer as one can expect, and it fills up its screen ratio properly. From my tests, it actually seems to hold up better in terms of color and clarity on a CRT TV than on a laptop--maybe that's to be expected, though. It's not as cleaned up as images on Nozomi Entertainment or Sunrise's Gundam X websites seem to suggest, but I've since been told that even though they are episode-based screens, those online pics were promotional images/cels provided by Sunrise, not representative of the actual DVD transfer itself. So, the latest Japanese release and this one are the same, as one would hope and expect, but don't expect Blu-ray/remastered quality here.

The sound is really clear. The translation seems pretty smooth, but there are some choices I'm still trying to figure out, and the DVD credits and the subtitles use different translations for characters' names--thankfully, the subtitles appear to be the more accurate ones. (i.e. "Sara" in the subtitles, "Sala" in the DVD credits--if you look at the katakana on the official website and listen to how characters pronounce it, especially Jamil in Episode 2, it's clearly "Sara"; likewise, "Roabea" in the subtitles, "Roybea" in the credits.) I assume there were different people doing the subtitles than the DVD credits, but I am very happy that the subtitles have given us spellings for names that equally match katakana, pronunciation, and intentions.

I'm no expert, and maybe this is normal for subtitled-only releases, but there appears to be a bit of localization in addition to translation going on: The phrase/episode title of Episode 4, which used to speak of an operation being "Time Critical" or "Time Sensitive" (in katakana) has now become "A Race Against Time." (I can see what they were going for there, but I think Jamil might use the more technical/formal terms given his background. Then again, this way it's more direct and intense.) Similarly, Episode 3's title has become "My Steed is Vicious," which, as the old saying goes, is really six of one, half a dozen of another. Meanwhile, Garrod's first launch with the GX has been jazzed up and made much better regarding his stance on a higher power--I'm not versed enough to know if that's a direct translation or localization. Episode 6, which MAHQ has listed as "I Don't Like It," is now "It's Offensive," which actually seems more appropriate for the scene it's related to and who is saying it. There are some odd instances of maybe overthinking things, however: When Garrod does his famous "hold up" in Episode 1, verbally saying "hold up" in English, the subtitles read "stick up." On the other hand, the Federation is referred to as U.N.E., or United Nations Earth, right from the start, which is really excellent. Still, any way you slice it, it's GREAT to have this series out officially.

I'll get back with more thoughts when I've watched more. Right now, I'm on Episode 7, and the only thing confusing me at the moment is if "San Angelo" has been translated as "St. Lange," or if there is another location in the show called St. Lange that I'm not thinking of. Because this arc is called the San Angelo arc when you look at the katakana on the official Japanese website (and even their romanized translation of it there in the heading). I imagine a few more episodes will clear this up for me one way or the other.
Quiddity

At least on the episode titles, they have often made some notable changes on those rather than using the most accurate translation. In Zeta I recall "To the Earth Sphere" becoming simply "To Earth", "Day of the Colony Drop" becoming "Colony Drop". MS Gundam had even more significant changes, "Reunion with Mother" became "Coming Home", "Blood Spilled over the Atlantic Ocean" (or something similar) became simply "Across the Atlantic Ocean" and several more I can't remember off the top of my head.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Deacon Blues

LightningCount wrote:I'm no expert, and maybe this is normal for subtitled-only releases, but there appears to be a bit of localization in addition to translation going on: The phrase/episode title of Episode 4, which used to speak of an operation being "Time Critical" or "Time Sensitive" (in katakana) has now become "A Race Against Time." (I can see what they were going for there, but I think Jamil might use the more technical/formal terms given his background. Then again, this way it's more direct and intense.)
Given what you may thing, 一刻を争う does mean "to race against time". It also means "every second counts" so I don't think Jamil would say anything other than "we must hurry". Don't have the official English release, just the Japanese so I don't know what they put.
Similarly, Episode 3's title has become "My Steed is Vicious," which, as the old saying goes, is really six of one, half a dozen of another.
I don't see where the problem lies with this. Is it with your interpretation of 凶暴 as being vicious or was it with 愛馬 being translated as Steed?
Meanwhile, Garrod's first launch with the GX has been jazzed up and made much better regarding his stance on a higher power--I'm not versed enough to know if that's a direct translation or localization.
Cite the episode/rough location and I can check.
On the other hand, the Federation is referred to as U.N.E., or United Nations Earth, right from the start, which is really excellent.
Well, considering Sunrise sanctioned this way back with the Under the Moonlight series, it makes sense... then again, it was always "spelled out" in the show but never really addressed.
I'll get back with more thoughts when I've watched more. Right now, I'm on Episode 7, and the only thing confusing me at the moment is if "San Angelo" has been translated as "St. Lange," or if there is another location in the show called St. Lange that I'm not thinking of. Because this arc is called the San Angelo arc when you look at the katakana on the official Japanese website (and even their romanized translation of it there in the heading). I imagine a few more episodes will clear this up for me one way or the other.
I'm wondering what other flubs there are in the release (or if this was a Sunrise-forced change). Keep us posted as you watch.
LightningCount

Quiddity wrote:At least on the episode titles, they have often made some notable changes on those rather than using the most accurate translation. In Zeta I recall "To the Earth Sphere" becoming simply "To Earth", "Day of the Colony Drop" becoming "Colony Drop". MS Gundam had even more significant changes, "Reunion with Mother" became "Coming Home", "Blood Spilled over the Atlantic Ocean" (or something similar) became simply "Across the Atlantic Ocean" and several more I can't remember off the top of my head.
You make an excellent point with this.

Deacon, I'll reply in red below:
Deacon Blues wrote:Given what you may thing, 一刻を争う does mean "to race against time". It also means "every second counts" so I don't think Jamil would say anything other than "we must hurry". Don't have the official English release, just the Japanese so I don't know what they put

"This Operation is a Race Against the Clock" is the full phrase in English now. I guess I thought it would be more succinct phrasing based on past translations like the one featured in MAHQ's review section. But it's fine.

I don't see where the problem lies with this. Is it with your interpretation of 凶暴 as being vicious or was it with 愛馬 being translated as Steed

Oh, there's nothing wrong with this at all. I just was pointing out that it's different than how MAHQ had it listed from past translation attempts, and that the characters translated to "steed" and "vicious" seem to have a good amount of wiggle room. It's actually a concise way of putting it.

Cite the episode/rough location and I can check.

Episode 1, roughly at 19:38: “If this works, sign me up as a believer in God.”
The “sign me up” really makes this line come alive. Was it actually there, as such? It flows really well in English and really captures Garrod's personality well, I think.

I'm wondering what other flubs there are in the release (or if this was a Sunrise-forced change). Keep us posted as you watch.

All right, so I think I've figured out what's going on with St. Lange vs. San Angelo. In Episode 1, during the water pump scene, Sara says the Freeden will be heading to St. Lange--according to the new subtitles. (Don't know if that's supposed to be Range or Lange.) Anyway, in Episode 6, after Garrod messes up towing the Daughtress, Jamil says that the Freeden will head for San Angelo. But here, in the subtitles, it says St. Lange again. I think the subtitle people assumed that the Freeden was continuing on its journey from Episode 1 from before the Alternative Co. and the Frost Brothers intercepted them. But, as far as I know, the two locations are not related. Therefore, the first subtitle was right with St. Lange (unless it was Range), and the second subtitle noted should have been San Angelo.

Other stuff I've been curious about...

-Ep.7, Starting at 21:12: "Fire Clock Squad, take positions. ...Commence attack, starting from Midnight ...9 o'clock platoon ... 3 o'clock squad." Is this all correct? (I'm confused about why it's "Midnight" when everything else is o'clock, and also why 9s are called platoon and 3s are called squad. And then, the whole group is actually called the Fire Clock Squad?)

-Witz calls his dead younger brother "Bastel" in Episode 8 when speaking with Toniya, but I've read from fans in the past that his name is supposed to be "Pastel." (8:56) Any thoughts?

-(3:30) Witz does something I thought was weird at the beginning of Episode 8 right after the Frost Brothers save him. But I listened to the Japanese and picked out "nii-chan," which I think means big brother, so the translation seems fine. But it's still weird. He looked at a picture of his family and says something like "Big bro, I kept your treasure safe" in the subtitles. Is he referring to himself in the third person here? Because he is the oldest brother in the Sou family.

-Ep.8, 20:53: "It's too soon" Roabea responds. Is that a joke reply because Witz says "Sorry for the wait"?

-I haven't found any episode yet that gives me Roabea's last name in subtitles (not sure if it even happens), but the credits have it as "Loy." Given the katakana, which matches how Nintendo translates "Roy" in Mario Bros and Fire Emblem, shouldn't it properly be "Roabea Roy"?
Episode 8 is as far as I've gotten. But nothing's a deal-breaker. I'm just trying to better understand the series since it's not in my native language. I'm usually a "dub first" viewer, so I'm realizing that when you see something subbed vs. dubbed, and you've done a little research, questions can arise where you don't take things for granted.
Deacon Blues

LightningCount wrote:Episode 1, roughly at 19:38: “If this works, sign me up as a believer in God.”
The “sign me up” really makes this line come alive. Was it actually there, as such? It flows really well in English and really captures Garrod's personality well, I think.
Yeah, that's definitely taking some creative liberties with the original dialogue, which I suppose is fine. Saying "If this works, I believe in God" is a bit bland for the 「コレで動いたら、俺、神様信じるっ!!」

All right, so I think I've figured out what's going on with St. Lange vs. San Angelo. In Episode 1, during the water pump scene, Sara says the Freeden will be heading to St. Lange--according to the new subtitles. (Don't know if that's supposed to be Range or Lange.) Anyway, in Episode 6, after Garrod messes up towing the Daughtress, Jamil says that the Freeden will head for San Angelo. But here, in the subtitles, it says St. Lange again. I think the subtitle people assumed that the Freeden was continuing on its journey from Episode 1 from before the Alternative Co. and the Frost Brothers intercepted them. But, as far as I know, the two locations are not related. Therefore, the first subtitle was right with St. Lange (unless it was Range), and the second subtitle noted should have been San Angelo.

In the first episode it definitely is セントランジュ, so that would be St. Lange. In episode 6, he definitely says サンアンジェロ市, which should be San Angelo. Seems QC failed here.

-Ep.7, Starting at 21:12: "Fire Clock Squad, take positions. ...Commence attack, starting from Midnight ...9 o'clock platoon ... 3 o'clock squad." Is this all correct? (I'm confused about why it's "Midnight" when everything else is o'clock, and also why 9s are called platoon and 3s are called squad. And then, the whole group is actually called the Fire Clock Squad?)

Yeah, that sounds awkward no matter how you look at it. But, it has to do with their formation. Midnight is directly in front of him, 3 o'clock is to his right and 9 o'clock is to his left. They've surrounded him in a circle much like a clock (hence the "Fire Clock" formation). As for squad and platoon, I guess that was to break up the monotony? They say 部隊 for both.

-Witz calls his dead younger brother "Bastel" in Episode 8 when speaking with Toniya, but I've read from fans in the past that his name is supposed to be "Pastel." (8:56) Any thoughts?

I heard バステル (Bastel) in the dialogue myself...

-(3:30) Witz does something I thought was weird at the beginning of Episode 8 right after the Frost Brothers save him. But I listened to the Japanese and picked out "nii-chan," which I think means big brother, so the translation seems fine. But it's still weird. He looked at a picture of his family and says something like "Big bro, I kept your treasure safe" in the subtitles. Is he referring to himself in the third person here? Because he is the oldest brother in the Sou family.

If his brother were still alive, wouldn't he be older than him?

-Ep.8, 20:53: "It's too soon" Roabea responds. Is that a joke reply because Witz says "Sorry for the wait"?

-I haven't found any episode yet that gives me Roabea's last name in subtitles (not sure if it even happens), but the credits have it as "Loy." Given the katakana, which matches how Nintendo translates "Roy" in Mario Bros and Fire Emblem, shouldn't it properly be "Roabea Roy"?

[/quote]
LightningCount

Deacon, thanks for the help and clearing things up some.
Deacon Blues wrote:If his brother were still alive, wouldn't he be older than him?
I double-checked this, and Bastel, the one that died two years ago of Colony Sickness, was called by Witz "My youngest brother." And Toniya even says "Your youngest brother is your spitting image." So, even with the two-year gap, he'd never have been older than Witz. I guess the writers were trying to let us know that Witz was the older brother of the family, and that that role is separate from his identity as a Vulture in his mind. (So, it was like he was saying, "'Witz the Big Brother,' I want you to know that 'Witz the Vulture' protected your treasure.") But when I first saw that "Big Bro" line, I was sure something was mistranslated, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The other line I talked about, "It's too soon," from Episode 8, I assume to be a a joke or a statement of hubris by Roabea, who wanted to show he could handle Ennil's team by himself.

Any thoughts on Loy or Roy for Roabea's last name? It's written ロイ on Sunrise's Gundam X site, and that's the same way I've seen Nintendo write "Roy" for Mario's Koopaling and the Fire Emblem character; plus, I've seen it for Roy in the original Macross.

On a similar note, I looked ahead briefly out of curiosity to see how Fort Severn's secret weapon is spelled in the English subtitles. It was Patulia. I would have thought it would be Paturia (or Patouria). From Sunrise's Gundam X site: パトゥーリア. I'll have to listen closer to the pronunciation on screen, I guess. I thought I heard the "r" in there, though.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Frost Brothers, as of Episode 8, keep talking about their sense of "style" when talking with Garrod or about defeating Garrod (like the scene they're sitting at a table with him--19:20). Is "style" more accurate than, say, "aesthetics" in this?
AmuroNT1

Just to mildly interject, I checked the Japanese Gundam X website and it lists Witz's brother's name as バステル (Bastel).

Also, I looked up the fansub version of Episode 8; they render Witz's line as "Your big brother was able to protect your treasure". I blame any confusion on the difference in sentence structure between English and Japanese, personally. English is Subject-Verb-Object ("I protected the treasure.") while Japanese is Subject-Object-Verb ("I the treasure protected.")

As for Roybea's surname, it's just the traditional L/R problem. Sunrise has final say on English names, so if it's "Loy" in the official subs then that's probably because they said so.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
LightningCount

AmuroNT1 wrote:Just to mildly interject, I checked the Japanese Gundam X website and it lists Witz's brother's name as バステル (Bastel).
Well, that settles that. Thanks.
AmuroNT1 wrote:Also, I looked up the fansub version of Episode 8; they render Witz's line as "Your big brother was able to protect your treasure". I blame any confusion on the difference in sentence structure between English and Japanese, personally. English is Subject-Verb-Object ("I protected the treasure.") while Japanese is Subject-Object-Verb ("I the treasure protected.")

As for Roybea's surname, it's just the traditional L/R problem. Sunrise has final say on English names, so if it's "Loy" in the official subs then that's probably because they said so.
Wow, that clears up Witz's line a lot. So, this was a case of the translation going too literal. I was wondering if it couldn't be restructured to make more sense. "Big Bro, I kept your treasure safe," is what he says in the new subtitles to the picture of himself and his family, which made me start reading into it too much.

(While not confusing, there was another sort of clunky moment in the wording at 13:11 in Episode 2 that stood out. I didn't mention it before, but the white-haired Vulture woman says "Goodbye, you kids." When I read that, I thought to myself that "Goodbye, kids" or "Goodbye, children" or "Goodbye, kiddies" could have perhaps been smoother if you think about this in terms of English dubbing.)

As for Roy/Loy, I haven't seen it in the official subtitles yet (and like I said, not sure if I will), but they do have new DVD credits after each episode, and they list the staff/cast, and there it's translated as "Loy." Though, considering that you also have stuff like Roybea and Sala in those same credits (which contradict the new official subtitles), it's not too definitive in my mind. If you look at the Gundam Wiki, they have pages from what I believe is the same Japanese resource book, and one page has it spelled Loy, and another says Roy:

Loy: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Img_1 ... 9796_2.jpg
Roy: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Img_1 ... 9796_0.jpg

But, yes, I understand the L/R problem.

I'll be interested to hear Deacon Blues on those other points from my previous post.
LightningCount

Quick updates through Episode 17 of Gundam X. Everyone, feel free to step in with clarifications. Just reporting in with things I'm noticing:

*San Lucas in Episode 16 is listed as San Luis in the subtitles. I can hear San Lucas on screen, so I assume this is an error, but I don't have access to the katakana.

*Episode 17's episode title in the subtitles is listed with two translations depending on the Episode Preview or actual episode. In one place it's "Find Out for Yourself," in the other it's "Go See for Yourself."

*Lutil Lilliant is the name of Jamil's old crush according the Episode 18 Preview. The Gundam X website has it listed as: ルチル・リリアント. This is a situation where the fan-based online resources had it as "Lucille" for years. The katakana looks like it approximates the idea of "Rutile," which is a type of mineral that does have a form that gives off an amber/golden hue similar to the one we see with this character based on a quick search I did. That being said, I'm confused about what the original intention was. I'll need to the listen to the Japanese more closely. But I can say this: in Final Fantasy, there is a character with the same name ルチル that is translated as Lucil. It comes down to whether you emphasize the "chi" or "ti" sounds inherent in チ, perhaps. I'll know a little more after I watch the next two episodes maybe.

*I think there is a good case for it being Patulia (with the "l" rather than the "r") based on the pronunciation on screen, so I probably misjudged that earlier.

*Episode 17 notes Sains Island, which is in an upcoming episode. I have no idea whether it's supposed to be Sain's Island or Sains Island, but I wondered.

*Ennil's dad's name is Narda El in the new subtitles. I would assume the "r" was added for a reason, but I don't have the katakana, and a lot of online fan resources list his name as "Nada."

*Other than that, a few very minor grammar things of inconsistency (like s' or s's on a certain possessive name that ends with s), and one case of a word missing from the end of a sentence, but nothing big (it happens).

Two episodes left in the set. I have to say, I never realized how thematically strong throughout this Gundam series is in terms of its messages about Newtypes and human evolution.
nilcam

Char's Counterattack on Blu/DVD releasing on Sept. 9, 2016!

Gundam Build Fighters Try Blu/DVD also on Sept. 6.