The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

Chris wrote:This doesn't make any sense because it was specifically directed at the U.S. region on the official Gundam.info YouTube channel, just like Build Fighters before it. It was absolutely intended for U.S. viewers until it was blocked without explanation.
In that case, they must've changed their mind about it being available for the U.S. region, possibly as a result of a potential licensing deal in the region.

My comment was only regarding the inclusion of the English language subtitle in general, regardless of whether or not they are targeting the U.S. region.
Chris
Administrator

monster wrote:My comment was only regarding the inclusion of the English language subtitle in general, regardless of whether or not they are targeting the U.S. region.
But the things they do are specifically targeted at certain regions. They don't put up one video with multiple subtitle streams. They have completely separate video uploads with subtitles for viewers in the U.S., Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc, and it's IP-restricted to those regions.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
monster

Chris wrote:But the things they do are specifically targeted at certain regions. They don't put up one video with multiple subtitle streams. They have completely separate video uploads with subtitles for viewers in the U.S., Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc, and it's IP-restricted to those regions.
That's true, but just because they targeted certain regions doesn't mean they targeted a particular region. A video with an English subtitle could be targeting Australia, not necessarily the U.S.
phillosmaster

In any event this still sucks. I wish they could have handled it with a bit more grace. It's stuff like this that causes Gundam fandom to lose it's steam. They were making such good moves the US with Origin, Turn A, Build Fighters and streaming access for many of their shows.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Chris
Administrator

monster wrote:That's true, but just because they targeted certain regions doesn't mean they targeted a particular region. A video with an English subtitle could be targeting Australia, not necessarily the U.S.
I keep telling you that the stream was specifically targeted to the U.S. but you keep repeating the same argument. There were separate English streams for the UK and Australia that were simulcast and IP-locked to prevent people in the U.S. from watching. This stream was intended for and targeted to the U.S., so please stop saying that it wasn't.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
monster

Chris wrote:I keep telling you that the stream was specifically targeted to the U.S. but you keep repeating the same argument. There were separate English streams for the UK and Australia that were simulcast and IP-locked to prevent people in the U.S. from watching. This stream was intended for and targeted to the U.S., so please stop saying that it wasn't.
You misunderstood me. I didn't say they never targeted the U.S. All I said was that there is still a reason to have an English subtitle even if they don't (or no longer) target the U.S.

Whatever they intended to target in the past, as of now, their English-subtitled video is only targeting Asia. Actually, I'm not even seeing any other language for Reconguista.
E08

i can attest to what Monster wrote, I'm not in US and i have access to the english sub. In fact, i have access to all the other different language sub for the other Gundam series.
balofo

Final episode has been 70% redrawn and will released in BD9 on 08/26.

Let's see what Tomino has in store
Kuruni

E08 wrote:i can attest to what Monster wrote, I'm not in US and i have access to the english sub. In fact, i have access to all the other different language sub for the other Gundam series.
Same. In fact, since it doesn't available in my native language, I just watch English one.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Quiddity

Just wrapped up G-Reco today, a bit late in comparison to everyone else. I feel the show as a whole hit several extremes. On the good side, this is the most beautifully designed and animated anime I have ever seen. Certainly there have been other mecha animes out there with amazing mecha design before, but this show not only hit it out of the park there, but also with the character design, landscapes, backgrounds, etc... Everything animation-wise about this show was beautiful. I also think the show had many interesting concepts and quirks, such as the whole Kuntala thing, Raraiya's lunacy for much of the show, the beam weaponry (the Yggdrasil in particular), having one of the Megafauna's bridge crew randomly speaking in English all the time, etc... That said, when it came to plot and pacing, this show was a total mess. There were way too many characters. Way too many factions. For a huge portion of the show it was very difficult to tell where the factions stood and who was on what side, heck how many sides there actually were. Complicated names and terms were often thrown about and I had no clue what they meant. While early on the show was rather slow moving, around episode 12 or 13 things kicked into hyper drive and went insanely quick the rest of the way. Major events would happen that they would completely skip and simply tell you about. The characters moved from locale to locale with great speed. The ending wasn't as disappointing as it could have been considering they killed off many characters from opposing factions in the last 4 episodes, simplifying things, but I still felt like they could have given us more explanation and closure.

As hard as it is to say it, being such a big fan of his, I think it would have been better if Tomino had taken a step back from the directing and writing role he had over the show. Tomino was great once, and I'm a big fan of his work going all the way back to the 1970's. But had they given us the design/animation team and his concepts, but written by and delivered by other personnel we probably would have gotten a better product. I wouldn't be surprised if this is it for him and while it is certainly a better way to go out than Wings of Rean, the show could have been a lot better had the director done a better job.

Whatever happened to Barara Peol? On initial viewing it looks like she died in episode 24, but Manny talks as if she is still competing against her for Mask's affections in episode 25 and she doesn't appear at all in the final 2 episodes. One of my favorite minor characters from the show.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
SaintEvolution

balofo wrote:Final episode has been 70% redrawn and will released in BD9 on 08/26.

Let's see what Tomino has in store
I really don't understand that. The last episode had a great animation and art in the TV version. I don't think that deserves that for the bluray. But let's see what they will do.
SaintEvolution

Quiddity wrote:Just wrapped up G-Reco today, a bit late in comparison to everyone else. I feel the show as a whole hit several extremes. On the good side, this is the most beautifully designed and animated anime I have ever seen. Certainly there have been other mecha animes out there with amazing mecha design before, but this show not only hit it out of the park there, but also with the character design, landscapes, backgrounds, etc... Everything animation-wise about this show was beautiful. I also think the show had many interesting concepts and quirks, such as the whole Kuntala thing, Raraiya's lunacy for much of the show, the beam weaponry (the Yggdrasil in particular), having one of the Megafauna's bridge crew randomly speaking in English all the time, etc... That said, when it came to plot and pacing, this show was a total mess. There were way too many characters. Way too many factions. For a huge portion of the show it was very difficult to tell where the factions stood and who was on what side, heck how many sides there actually were. Complicated names and terms were often thrown about and I had no clue what they meant. While early on the show was rather slow moving, around episode 12 or 13 things kicked into hyper drive and went insanely quick the rest of the way. Major events would happen that they would completely skip and simply tell you about. The characters moved from locale to locale with great speed. The ending wasn't as disappointing as it could have been considering they killed off many characters from opposing factions in the last 4 episodes, simplifying things, but I still felt like they could have given us more explanation and closure.

As hard as it is to say it, being such a big fan of his, I think it would have been better if Tomino had taken a step back from the directing and writing role he had over the show. Tomino was great once, and I'm a big fan of his work going all the way back to the 1970's. But had they given us the design/animation team and his concepts, but written by and delivered by other personnel we probably would have gotten a better product. I wouldn't be surprised if this is it for him and while it is certainly a better way to go out than Wings of Rean, the show could have been a lot better had the director done a better job.

Whatever happened to Barara Peol? On initial viewing it looks like she died in episode 24, but Manny talks as if she is still competing against her for Mask's affections in episode 25 and she doesn't appear at all in the final 2 episodes. One of my favorite minor characters from the show.
The narrative/storytelling was a bit broken, but the plot was very well writed. By far, the best plot in Gundam franchise since Turn A Gundam was released.

And about Barara...she probably died. I don't remember so much of that now.
Destiny_Gundam

You see something that's likely an escape pod leaving the Yggdrasill so she's probably fine.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Deathzealot

Just simmering mad now that her Captain Mask is with another woman.... /laughs
BrentD15

Deathzealot wrote:Just simmering mad now that her Captain Mask is with another woman.... /laughs
Haha, bitter to the very end.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
balofo

BD version of the final ep is just better effects...

http://i.imgur.com/A80DLmi.jpg

Moonlight Butterfly included
Sandrock

So qq, was Belri a Newtype in the end? where there any newtypes in the series at all?
balofo

Tomino confirmed on a interview that G-Reco is still unfinished and he's re-editing it

Compilation movies incoming
Deacon Blues

Hah! I totally called it!