Mecha Animes Recommendations

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TorvaEarl29

Mecha Animes Recommendations

Looking for some awesome Mecha animes to watch, and suggestions? I've seen: "Gurren Lagann", "Evangelion", "Code Geass", "Zoids New Century Zero" and "Gundam Wing".

Thanks!
Compass

Re: Mecha Animes Recommendations

You've provided some really generic mecha anime that the majority of us here have seen. Do you like robots for the fighting, the giant robots, the story?
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
TorvaEarl29

All of the above. Just looking for a place to start.
LightningCount

I'll try to help. All of the below are solid to excellent. Many are classics. Did my best to relate them to things you've seen, but each has a different skew, and some were hard to classify.

Like "Evangelion," try:
RahXephon, The Big-O, Fafner: Dead Agressor (and its prequel/sequels), Gasaraki, Escaflowne

Like "Gurren Lagann," try: Eureka 7, Gun x Sword, Dai-Guard, Majestic Prince

Like "Gundam Wing," try: Gundam: 08th MS Team, G-Gundam, Gundam X, Gundam 00, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083...(most things named Gundam), Macross (and/or Robotech), Macross Plus

Like "Code Geass" try:
Aldnoah.Zero, Orguss 02, Patlabor

Like "Zoids New Century Zero," try: Zoids: Chaotic Century, Zoids: Guardian Force, IGPX, G-Gundam (again).

That's a really good start. Lots of enjoyment there. Good luck!
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
GX9900-Gundam-X

Super Dimension Orguss is good New Getter Robo and Getter Robo Arrmageddon kick arse, Shin Mazinger Z and Kotetsu Shin Jeeg rock, Sousei No Aquarion is fun,
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
Henyo

i'll offer something different. the ones you've watch are pretty mainstream. you might want to try obscure yet still enjoyable titles.

Rinne no Lagrange: super robot mechs, real robot story telling(+ Yuri if you're into that)

Iczer Series: super robot + horror(only the first one though.) and again Yuri.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia - idolmaster characters put into a hybrid mecha anime story.

Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen - for a more recent entry if you are the type to worry about animation.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Raikoh

I think I'll rattle off a few of what I'd consider more entry level stuff. Longpost approaching.

Some Super Robots:
Spoiler
Shin Mazinger: It's probably one of the best versions of Mazinger out there. It's got Imagawa's "Giant Robo" style of meshing together a bunch of different series from one author (in this case, Nagai), has a LOT of awesome moments, and an incredibly well done plot. Some people into robots won't consider you to be informed until you've seen the 1970s Mazinger. Shin is a good introduction to Mazinger and Nagai.

New Getter Robo: One thing to note about Gurren Lagann is just how much inspiration they took from Getter Robo. Now, the manga is probably the best way to get the story of Getter, but New Getter Robo is the closest thing to a manga adaptation we're likely to ever have. It's noteworthy for combining Musashi and Benkei into a character who is sort of in the middle of both, and making Ryoma a lot more relatable than the crazy guy from the original manga without watering his anti-hero character down too much.

Gravion: Obari at his Obari-est.

Gunbuster: Nothing much to say but every mecha show that Gainax has made since Gunbuster has been trying to be Gunbuster.
Real Robots:
Spoiler
Mobile Suit Gundam: I know it's sort of odd to go all the way back to the original, but the truth is that MSG is just a well put-together story. I think it's best appreciated by watching the TV series and then the movies. The movies are overall better in my opinion, but they probably require watching the series to get the full experience.

Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket: One of my personal favorite Gundam series. It's only six episodes, so it's very easy to go through. It has a great story and captures Gundam's overarching anti-war message better than pretty much any other series.

Gundam 00: This was my entry into Gundam, so I'm a bit biased, but I think 00 is one of the best series to get into Gundam from. The mecha design is very cool, the plot is done well, and the animation still holds up. That said, it takes noticeable drops in quality across the board in season 2, with the plot becoming a stock Zeta homage and the mecha design becoming a lot more blocky (it was so complex in S1 that they requested they make it easier to animate!).

Buddy Complex: If you aren't into older anime, Buddy Complex is a new one that is not exactly ambitious, but enjoyable. It's good because these days too many robot shows are trying to be more than they need to be and end up biting off way WAY more than they can chew as a result of it. It's the kind of thing anyone can watch. Decent plot and characters (though it has one major hiccup near the end), good fight scenes, cool visual style. That's pretty much all that can be said here.
Of course, I'd also say one of the best ways to get into mecha is through Super Robot Wars. SRW introduced me to a lot of my favorite series, and has given me more appreciation for many series I otherwise wouldn't have cared much for (like Machine Robo). If you don't want to play but just want to watch, I consider SRW: OG Divine Wars better than The Inspector (for the plot being tighter, though Inspector has much better animation).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
TorvaEarl29

Wow thanks guys! Looks like I'll be busy for a few weeks :P
Henyo

my turn to ask for recommendations! but!
i'm looking for old series that are worth the watch(and fully subbed of course.)
preferably something from the 70s and 80s. the 90s and 2010s might be put off for some time later. :D
me and Dearest mother are finishing up with SPT Layzner.

one last thing: there's no need to recommend the robot romance trilogy. I've watched a lot of times since high school.(actually, just Voltes and Daimos. just glimpse for poor Combatler.)
also, any series in which the good guys have a pet coming along for the adventure.
Quiddity

^Can't go wrong with Tomino's various non-Gundam 70's and 80's shows. Zambot 3, Space Runaway Ideon, Aura Battler Dunbine, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Combat Mecha Xabungle are all highly recommended. Zambot 3 features the main character's pet riding along with him in the mecha in the vast majority of the episodes. A few more I haven't seen would be Brave Raideen (big inspiration for RahXephon) and Daitarn 3.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Henyo

Quiddity wrote:^Can't go wrong with Tomino's various non-Gundam 70's and 80's shows. Zambot 3, Space Runaway Ideon, Aura Battler Dunbine, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Combat Mecha Xabungle are all highly recommended. Zambot 3 features the main character's pet riding along with him in the mecha in the vast majority of the episodes. A few more I haven't seen would be Brave Raideen (big inspiration for RahXephon) and Daitarn 3.
already watched Zambot and L.Gaim. have yet to finish Ideon TV.(went straight for the movies. XD)

Dunbine sounds good. but dearest mother might not like it. Xabungle even less.
might go for Daitarn. its shorter. and i've already watched episode 1. 8)
YokozunaBulldozer

Henyo wrote:my turn to ask for recommendations! but!
i'm looking for old series that are worth the watch(and fully subbed of course.)
preferably something from the 70s and 80s. the 90s and 2010s might be put off for some time later. :D

one last thing: there's no need to recommend the robot romance trilogy. I've watched a lot of times since high school.(actually, just Voltes and Daimos. just glimpse for poor Combatler.)
also, any series in which the good guys have a pet coming along for the adventure.
Here is a random selection from the 80s: Galaxy Cyclone Braiger.
It is pretty much Lupin the 3rd with mecha.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Here is a random selection from the 80s: Galaxy Cyclone Braiger.
It is pretty much Lupin the 3rd with mecha.
strike 2! yet another anime that we've already started watching.(stopped at episode 3.)
still, not gonna lose anything in asking Dearest Mother if she'd want t finish that one.
still open for recommendation people! :twisted:
LightningCount

Henyo wrote:my turn to ask for recommendations! but!

There is so much that you've likely seen...I'm going to have to go out on a limb or two here, and dip into some later times, as well. I can't guarantee a lot, but here goes nothing...

Metal Armor Dragonar (1987, 48-episode TV Series): I've only seen an episode. It was intended to be a successor to Gundam for Sunrise, and it feels sort of in the vein of Gundam F-91 from what I've seen; though others have said it has more in common with ZZ Gundam. It doesn't seem too bad, but it doesn't seem like it will be spectacular, either.

Dangaioh (1987, 3-episode OVA): Saw this many years ago. I remember it being amusing and even entertaining, though rough around the edges and incomplete.

Hades Project Zeorymer (1988, 4-episode OVA): Haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being pretty good, especially its first two episodes. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was worth checking out back in the day. As I recall, in some respects, it felt a little like EVA before EVA; a proto-EVA.

Super Dimension Century Orguss 02 (1993, 6-episode OVA): Sequel to a somewhat famous 80's TV series that I never got around to watching. But the sequel stands on its own very well; and as I recall, it is actually very excellent. I haven't seen it in years, but I often think it may be a favorite of mine.

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 (1988, 1-episode OVA): It's marginally worth seeing for its technical merits and high energy.

Tekkaman Blade (1992, 48-episode TV Series): I saw a little bit of this back in the day, and it seemed fairly enjoyable. You might want to take a look at it.

Detonator Orgun (1991, 3-episode OVA): I'm still watching this one. It has a good reputation. It's not fantastic so far, but it's not awful, either. It seems to be very much inspired by the movie Total Recall, and of course its Philip K. Dick source material.

Giant Robo (1991, 7-episode OVA): Another giant robot series with a good reputation. I saw an episode or two many years ago. It seems like a quality production.

Terrestrial Defense Corp. Dai-Guard (1999, 26-episode TV Series): An overall unique take on the giant robot genre that is a lot of fun, yet still has substance. It's a bit further outside the time frame you were looking for, but it's worth watching.

Zoids: Chaotic Century, also known as Zoids in Japan, or split into a second season called Zoids: Guardian Force (1999, 67-episode TV Series): Again, this is probably a bit further out of the time frame you're looking for than you want--and you may have seen it--but it's worth mentioning because it is often totally overlooked by mecha viewers. It is an extremely underrated series that is very much in the vein of the alternate universe Gundam shows, especially Gundam X, and some of its elements have reappeared in many newer mecha shows, like Gurren Lagaan. Its cel-shaded CG mecha really helped pave the way for what we see today, and they were ahead of the curve for its time. That being said, the CG is really rough around the edges early on, but improves greatly by the end. What really makes this series sing is its memorable cast of characters and dynamic plot, though. I highly recommend this series.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind...I went in assuming that you've already seen stuff like Macross, Southern Cross, MOSPEADA, and VOTOMS.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Henyo

LightningCount wrote:
There is so much that you've likely seen...I'm going to have to go out on a limb or two here, and dip into some later times, as well. I can't guarantee a lot, but here goes nothing...

Metal Armor Dragonar (1987, 48-episode TV Series): I've only seen an episode. It was intended to be a successor to Gundam for Sunrise, and it feels sort of in the vein of Gundam F-91 from what I've seen; though others have said it has more in common with ZZ Gundam. It doesn't seem too bad, but it doesn't seem like it will be spectacular, either.

Dangaioh (1987, 3-episode OVA): Saw this many years ago. I remember it being amusing and even entertaining, though rough around the edges and incomplete.

Hades Project Zeorymer (1988, 4-episode OVA): Haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being pretty good, especially its first two episodes. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it was worth checking out back in the day. As I recall, in some respects, it felt a little like EVA before EVA; a proto-EVA.

Super Dimension Century Orguss 02 (1993, 6-episode OVA): Sequel to a somewhat famous 80's TV series that I never got around to watching. But the sequel stands on its own very well; and as I recall, it is actually very excellent. I haven't seen it in years, but I often think it may be a favorite of mine.

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 (1988, 1-episode OVA): It's marginally worth seeing for its technical merits and high energy.

Tekkaman Blade (1992, 48-episode TV Series): I saw a little bit of this back in the day, and it seemed fairly enjoyable. You might want to take a look at it.

Detonator Orgun (1991, 3-episode OVA): I'm still watching this one. It has a good reputation. It's not fantastic so far, but it's not awful, either. It seems to be very much inspired by the movie Total Recall, and of course its Philip K. Dick source material.

Giant Robo (1991, 7-episode OVA): Another giant robot series with a good reputation. I saw an episode or two many years ago. It seems like a quality production.

Terrestrial Defense Corp. Dai-Guard (1999, 26-episode TV Series): An overall unique take on the giant robot genre that is a lot of fun, yet still has substance. It's a bit further outside the time frame you were looking for, but it's worth watching.

Zoids: Chaotic Century, also known as Zoids in Japan, or split into a second season called Zoids: Guardian Force (1999, 67-episode TV Series): Again, this is probably a bit further out of the time frame you're looking for than you want--and you may have seen it--but it's worth mentioning because it is often totally overlooked by mecha viewers. It is an extremely underrated series that is very much in the vein of the alternate universe Gundam shows, especially Gundam X, and some of its elements have reappeared in many newer mecha shows, like Gurren Lagaan. Its cel-shaded CG mecha really helped pave the way for what we see today, and they were ahead of the curve for its time. That being said, the CG is really rough around the edges early on, but improves greatly by the end. What really makes this series sing is its memorable cast of characters and dynamic plot, though. I highly recommend this series.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind...I went in assuming that you've already seen stuff like Macross, Southern Cross, MOSPEADA, and VOTOMS.
NEARLY STRIKE 3! I've all but watched five out of your list! Orgun, Dai Guard, MADOX, Tekkaman and Giant Robo. i'll try Orgun first as its the shortest then Giant Robo.(HOLY MOTHER SHIP, 700+ MB for episodes 4 to 7?) i've been reading that it's one good mecha anime.

on the last part of your post. mospeada is the only one i haven't seen. yeah 'm the type of Otaku that can watch anime regardless of its age as long as its enjoyable.
YokozunaBulldozer

If you wanna watch the go-bots anime North America never got but should have check out Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos.
If you want to hear hot-blooded Furuya Tohru watch Kotetsu Jeeg.
A personal fav from the late 80s is Madoking Granzort which is scifi with fantasy mecha and was paid tribute to in BF TRY(specifically Team Gaia Dragon). It is a fun little show.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

ah go-bots. was also shown here in the Philippines but i have ZERO memories of it.(but i can perfectly recall some episodes of the G1 cartoon.)

Furuya Tohru as a hot blooded super robot pilot? i'm there..once i finish up on some series! XD
now, granzort on the other hand, is a series i'd really like to watch. i have a sof t spot for the mecha designs thanks to Chou Eiyuuden Wataru.

keep em recommendations coming comrades!