The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Xenosynth

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Another week, another set of cameos:
Spoiler
Overall fun episode, loved the Gattai sequences and the battles, at least for me, were way more awesome than S1's filler battles because the MS had a lot more modifications to them, the MS felt like more real customs, as opposed to the simple paintswaps we had with a lot of S1's tournament filler characters.

Also Matsunaga team got to kick ass for once and that made me happy.\

(Edit: Thanks Wingnut and Deathzealot for corrections.)
Last edited by Xenosynth on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gunform1010

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Tryon3 has won my heart. You guys can have all the Transients and Try Burnings and Vagan Gear Ks for all I care. Obari has truly delivered. Even that sequence he used for I think Gravion and SRW OG was nice to see again.
TRYON3 IS WHERE IT'S AT BABY!
Pfft.

Meanwhile I'm here just loving the Chinned Butterfly.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
GX9900-Gundam-X

Sooo Was anyone else singing Come here Daitarn 3 at the start cause good god I could not help it L was in love I think I had the same expression as Sekai!
As for the arrival of the G-Portent it was dazzling and very very graceful however
Spoiler
The utter one-sidedness of the fight once again makes me regret how try is setting up its rivals I know Kei was a joke rival but that makes Shia slightly less impressive and also shows they are trying to hard to build up throw away rivals so that such and such can seem tough as well everyone complimenting her building skills made it feel as though thew are trying a bit too hard to shill her as tough were as Adou and Wilfred I feel got more "proper introductions crushing Yuuma and fighting to a tie with Sekai while handicapped making for way better than curbstopming the joke guy while everyone talks about how tough you are that Shia got.
Sakai's flash back to how he joined the team was nice and added some weight to Trion 3 and Sakai's personality the everyone's spirits are in this attitude of Sakai adds to the super robot mystiqe of Trion 3 kinda reminds me about how Obari mentioned that in Pacific Rim he felt Gypsy was more of a Super robot in spirt cause Yancy's own spirit remained with it
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
gunform1010

Spoiler
Sei seems to still be away with China. He's been carefully eyeing Yuuma at least... time will tell before he becomes really interested in Sekai for being Reiji 2.0. also.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Ryujin

Lol, the SD-R triplets really are the successors to the Renato bros.

I'm a bit disappointed that most of the matches seem to end in a 3-0 sweep for one team.
YokozunaBulldozer

Xenosynth wrote:Another week, another set of cameos:

(Forgive me, but I don't know SDs), Ninja SD based on Hyaku Shiki?
It is the SD Ninja Hyakkimaru aka the little brother of SD Musha Hyaku Shiki from SD Sengokuden Musha Shichinin Shuu Hen (SD戦国伝 武者七人衆編 lit. SD Warring States Legend: Group of the Seven Warriors Chapter)

http://www.mandarake.co.jp/information/ ... b03/p1.jpg

gunform1010 wrote:
Pfft.

Meanwhile I'm here just loving the Chinned Butterfly.
GUNPLA IS
Spoiler
FREEDOM
!!!

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote:Sooo Was anyone else singing Come here Daitarn 3 at the start cause good god I could not help it
Ooooh! Me! Me! Me!
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
balofo

so confirmation the semis will be Academy vs Lucas and Try VS Minato. Lucas' final oponent in his group most likely will be the Zaku losers.

Minato will just defeat nobodies

Pretty straightfoward, we don't even need future ep summaries since we know how it'll play out.

The only surprises left are Sei's appearance and Sekai's master
YokozunaBulldozer

balofo wrote:so confirmation the semis will be Academy vs Lucas and Try VS Minato. Lucas' final oponent in his group most likely will be the Zaku losers.

Pretty straightfoward, we don't even need future ep summaries since we know how it'll play out.

But what about Junya? Are you thinking of maybe a battle outside the ring?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
balofo

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
balofo wrote:so confirmation the semis will be Academy vs Lucas and Try VS Minato. Lucas' final oponent in his group most likely will be the Zaku losers.

But what about Junya? Are you thinking of maybe a battle outside the ring?
The OP hints the fight against Junya will be decided in a 1on1 against Sekai after the 3on3 fight. Time limit perhaps
Kuruni

Tryon 3. Epic, just epic...

Same thing on G-Portent's debut. While it's so one side against joke rival, I think Shia's over-the-top graceful fighting style make up for it. Watching the victor beat a crap out of hapless victim is one thing, watching the victor counter each and every attack, with precision like performing surgery...it just leave good lasting impression to me.

And I think she's more adoarable by each episode :mrgreen: !
My girlfriend was a loli.
kayone73

Well it looks like they've officially acknowledged suits from AGE now
Raikoh

Xenosynth wrote:To be fair, G Saviour wasn't a contest winner. Xi won in a contest of more than 2000 MS from a vote
Except it didn't win, from my source they said they'd pick "one of the top ten." Woundwort won the #1 spot and for whatever reason they chose to go with Xi instead.

Minato is the savior Try needs, but not the one it deserves. Now that Sugita's true colors of "GOTTA WIN GOTTA WIN" were revealed, he is the only character who actually is aware that he's just playing a game and there's no point if he's not having fun. Also I don't care what the plot says, he's clearly the best builder. He took the ZZ's components and made them look COMPLETELY different and STILL got the combination to work (even if it does seem to require some oldschool SUPAROBO hammerspace). Also he seems to have the best team chemistry of the entire freaking series so far.

That aside, there's still... Problems. Namely things not involving Minato, who is so fun I'm willing to ignore that his opponents just stood still and let him smash them up (I was too busy going "OMG ZAUR GEYSER").
Spoiler
The power level BS has gotten way too out of hand with Shia. Like, really, Allan? It's better than the Dark Matter? Then why aren't we saving the G-Portent for final boss like we did there so we can actually establish her as a fighter instead of making it look like she's just relying on her absurdly OP unit as a crutch?
Also, people have realized something interesting
Spoiler
Fumina is ending up doing the same thing Sazaki tried to do in S1 (before he got good and became a world class fighter in his own right), by latching onto absurdly broken builders/fighters and not doing anything of note but reaping rewards - in this case, Lady Kawaguchi candidate. Obviously neither side of the fourth wall is likely to notice this, but it's an interesting implication, isn't it?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Kuruni

^ Of course, Dark Matter isn't entirely Allan's work, him and Tatsuya work together to creat the Amazing Exia, then Nine modified it into Dark Matter. And the point of his statement is that she's good builder, and it show here that her gunpla is powerful, that's logical. I say, if they decide to put it in the box for this episode, you will complain that "If it's so good, why use [insert name here] instead of show us how good it really is?" :P .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Wingnut

Couple things to correct here.
Spoiler
I think it's a regular Mercurius as you can see planet defensors on the back of it. Makes sense if there was a Vaeyate on the team too. Also that's a regular Leopard with two Inner Arm Gatlings.
Also, you missed something in the crowd though that's understandable as there were surprisingly no other cameos in that huge crowd shot.
They even included a full title card.
Obari doing what Obari does best.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Xenosynth

I feel like the skill ceiling in general was increased with this tournament. Again, first S1 INTERNATIONAL tournament had people fielding crappy straight builds with recolored parts. This one units are tuned way more, even the loser units actually have some custom builds behind them (again my personal favorite being the Anf with the Hyper Beam Javelin).

Also @Raikoh: Couldn't you make that excuse for anyone that uses an overly strong unit? "Sei and Reiji rely on their OP unit as a crutch?" I don't see it as relying on a crutch, I'm seeing it more that others need to just get better. Not to mention, don't you think that it requires some skill on her part as a fighter to actually do what she's doing with her suit? I don't think it's all automatic and so it was still HER making the hands and feet kick off of the missiles, as well as pinpoint precision in terms of when she's landing and riding on the Vagan Gear K's beams. So uh, no, she's a good fighter with a unit that she built that is strong. She's not relying on any crutch.

The source I had said the second list they released wasn't in winning order, they purposely just released a list of the top 10 but didn't assign numbers so they wouldn't have to reveal the winner.

I... also kinda see that evaluation of Fumina a bit misguided and stretching, though I find that about most of this week's complaints. Star Winning seems just fine and given her rival is going to be the Portent obviously its transformation is going to probably be able to match it. Though I dunno.

Personally I'm finding it hard to find any glaring faults in this week's episode. The power creep thing is more of a subjective thing since I actually almost prefer it if only because I feel the entries are a bit more original this year in the nationals. The battles animation wise were fine. Characters were pretty decent this week, with Kei, Meijin Kawaguchi, and Mintato being funny, and Shia being great in battle. Music was fine. Maybe a bit of a nitpick of the battles with named characters vs unnamed being full sweeps but otherwise the matchups were all fun to watch. Maybe the least fun being the SD team since we didn't get to see a lot.

@Wingnut: I generally don't do people cameos (Though I don't recognize, unless their hairpins are a reference to Roux's star emblem). I would also think Mercurius but that head just looked wrong to me, but yeah, I'll switch the label.
Last edited by Xenosynth on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deathzealot

Hmmm... guys I don't think that's an Anf. It's the precursor to the Anf the MSJ-04 Fanton. The nose gun and shield give it away.
Xenosynth

Ah, okay, got it. I forgot about that unit. That actually makes sense given that it's using a polearm much like the Fanton.
Amion

Minato and the Trion 3 are too good for TRY, period. So. Awesome. *Cries tears of joy* It was worth watching all these lackluster episodes for this alone! Beautiful....
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Lord Dearche

Shia is love, Shia is life and G-Potent is best 00 unit. Quanta would be proud of it's daughter gundam.

Minato is still by far the best character in the show....Well, he's the ONLY good Try character. (Mejin is S1 so he doesn't count)
Raikoh

I'm saying that I hate the idea of over reliance on power levels in general, because it removes any semblance of dramatic weight. In most mecha series, anybody with an adequate level of skill can fight off far superior units. Here, we saw Sugita score a direct hit with his trump card and it didn't even register, meaning he literally never stood a chance. She didn't even need to pull off her dodging stuff when she could tank the hits anyway, she was just toying around the entire fight (and really shows how Gunpla Academy are all completely disrespectful of their opponents - no wonder Meijin was so pissed). Calling it a "curb stomp" would be generous. It's about as entertaining as watching someone play a fighting game against an opponent who didn't even show up.

Let's compare it to a similar fight from BFS1, the Aila vs. Fellini. Do you remember Fellini getting outclassed in every area and losing one-sidedly? No, because that's boring. Even going into the episode knowing who's going to win and who's going to lose, a good writer or director will make an effort to try and convince us that there's some semblance of a real match. If we aren't going to bother with showing both sides as competent, we may as well just skip the fight entirely and say, "This team won." That's been a recurring problem with Try in general (but moreso in the last few episodes), that the winning team almost always has swept the other side 3-0, usually with their units ending the fight in perfect condition.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE