Build Fighters Try or Reconguista In G- Which do you prefer?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Build Fighters Try or Reconguista In G- Which do you prefer?

Felt this was a question that couldn't really work in either of the seperate threads.

At the start, my preference was to Try. Great to see BF back and Reco didn't grab me, having a poor script and what felt like a lack of direction. However, around the time Reco started to actually move forward about a month or so in I realised that Try wasn't clicking with me and most of what I felt was hold over from good will to the first show.

I was pretty happy to see we'd be getting two Gundam shows at once but right now I'm enjoying Reco as a flawed but entertaining and experimental show, while Try just feels like this empty cash grab that failed to realise why the previous show worked.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Bryant Molirse

Re: Build Fighters Try or Reconguista In G- Which do you pre

I can say the opposite, I'm enjoying Try for being straight forwards, while G-Reco seems like a cash grab via using the name Tomino to trigger nostalgia.

I was like cool two gundam shows at once, and I thought G-Reco was just having a slow start, but every week it has been the same. A glaring lack of details, and world background, with a pacing that makes AGE look like a highly refined series. Like the long pause towards the end of this weeks episode, then the abrupt change calling out to people with no explanation for anything let alone anything being accomplished with the supposed meeting of leaders.

Try on the other hand is a battle show, and they are gonna fight, and have little antics, while I'll admit the fan reference humor of the first was fantastic, I am glad they aren't going over the top with it this time around, as the main character's aren't gundam nuts like the first cast was, with the exception of Ral.

I'll hold out hope that both series haven't peaked yet, and see what happens with each through the duration of their airings.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
Strike Zero

Try is my favorite, hands down. Like many, I feel it hasn't been as strong as the original Build Fighters, but it's still an insanely entertaining experience every week.

That being said, my enjoyment of G-Reco has only been slightly less.

If you ask me, comparing the two shows is quite a useless gesture. Both of them have set out to do completely different things, so of course the reasons one might enjoy Try are not going to be the same as to why they enjoy G-Reco.

Unless, perhaps, they were to judge them solely on the basis on how well they have robots make other robots go BOOM, but even then it can easily come down to which style of battle one prefers in the first place.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Wellman

G-Reco but I feel more at home with this style of story telling and the desire to learn more of what is going on or how it will happen.

Also until recently I binged watched the first few episodes until last week when I decided to try to keep up with it weekly going forward when I can. So maybe I didn't have the same issue with the wait time others that tried keeping up weekly had.
latenlazy

G-Reco hands down. Try has very little of the magic that BF had. One of the things that made BF work for me was that for its genre it focused on giving all of its characters real dimension and development, and while it employed some familiar shounen formulas they didn't depend on those to drive the story. They let character development and character drama do that. Try on the other hand has none of those elements. It's heavily dependent on retread tropes and formulas to drive the story and character development. While every character introduced up to this point in BF had already gotten some development by now we still don't have primary rivals in Try and two of the three main characters are as one dimensional as wallpaper. Worse yet, every character interaction is defined by a repetitive gag of some sort (Gyanko's persistent adoration of Sekai, Sekai and Yuu's "you're stupid", Fumina being the wallflower glue, we know nothing else about her). They keep hinting at these other teams, but a lot of them are defined by gimmicks (they're ideas of rivals like data geeks or the swim team or super douches, but we don't really get a glimpse of them as people), and worse, a lot of these rivals seem to be one offs with no real relationships with the main characters except being one-offs (very few of the rivals in BF ). I'm sure some of these teams (G-Master and maybe Shimon?) will get development in the future, but with the way things are going right now it's probably going to be choppy, and I worry that once they get their day in the sun they will be forgettable obstacles (which BF did a very good job avoiding). I'm sure all of this sounds really harsh, but I do find Try entertaining. It's just not good.

I've thoroughly enjoyed G-Reco. The thing that I like about Tomino's storytelling is that he's usually bringing something fresh and unpredictable. He builds new world and gives them unique political settings so you can never guess what's going to happen. Yet, he largely keeps the story character driven, and introduces the world slowly as the character discovers them, so you discover things when the characters do. That's probably what makes his animes so original. It is its own kind of formula, but one that ensures a dynamic story with little dependence on the trite and repetitive. Tomino is for the most part the anti-trope (except the usually trope elements that he created).
balofo

G-Reco is a masterpiece in every aspect, so far(minus the OP animation). Unleashead Tomino did deliver after all, mech design is the best since forever.

Try is really weak so far, the team aspect ruined the fight choreography and there aren't cool charas like Felini to make up for the horrible protagonists. Mech design is fine, though

I will wait for the 2nd cour for Try, last episode I skipped directly to fight scene because the sick boy drama was too much. Oh, and Lightining and Winning jobbing was painful to watch
Xenosynth

From a purely 'which are you enjoying more,' it definitely goes to G-Reco. I don't think Try is that bad, it's about average. The problem for me is that my head keeps comparing it to the first series, and there have been only 2 episodes where I've really really been hyped, the first and the most recent. Shimon and Not!Sleggar are the only characters I really care that much about besides being like 'Well, they are a character.' Again, it's not a dislike, it's just everything is generally average? I don't hate the show or anything, I just hope it picks up a bit more, because I WANT to love this show.
Amion

*Looks at the two options* Hmmmmmmm...... I choose the third option.

In all seriousness, I'm finding myself reading the Origin, and it's hands-down better than either of the two are hoping to be. And with it coming into animation soon, I'm requesting Hellcat to allow me to toss Origin in here with G-Reco and TRY.

Try's mediocrity has continued to damage it, but it's still trying.

Reconguista has been an interesting adventure, though Tomino could possibly tone down the oddness just a tad here and there. Still, it's finally picked up and now there's no looking back.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
BrentD15

Amion wrote:*Looks at the two options* Hmmmmmmm...... I choose the third option.
No, not TVTropes! I'll never get out of there! D:

But in all seriousness, here's an even better question: Why choose one over the other? :wink:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Amion

BrentD15 wrote:
Amion wrote:*Looks at the two options* Hmmmmmmm...... I choose the third option.
No, not TVTropes! I'll never get out of there! D:

But in all seriousness, here's an even better question: Why choose one over the other? :wink:
I think Hellcat meant which was being enjoyed more by the rest of us. It seems at least some of us are kind of mixed so that while we're enjoying both Reconguista is getting more anticipation. If only TRY were to ascend to BF's level... :(

And I know, TV tropes is like a trap you can set for any unsuspecting victim to walk into. Once you go in, there's almost no escape for hours. :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
battletech

You know I want to say G-Reco because it's the "serious" Gundam show but I can't. I have to go with TRY. Yeah it has cliches going on but I like cliches. Cliches have a very at home comfort feel to them.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
AmuroNT1

I'm going to have to say Try, hands down. Honestly, the classic Gundam formula has really worn thin for me, and bringing Tomino back into it doesn't change things. The setting, whether or not it ties into the Universal Century, just really doesn't interest me all that much.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I like both equally. I think at this point neither one can be effectively called a "masterpiece" or "terrible." Since both clearly are made by people who care about the material and try interesting things with them...nor have either descended into "train-wreck territory."

I appreciate the 'wait and see' story telling of Reconguista; its refreshing after some of the anime I have watched (SAO for example). That and I love the look of the show, I don't normally get caught up in the animation part of anime (kinda strange yes) but I will watch just about anything...no matter how good or bad the animation! The story-telling is what is important for me, that and the characters. Unless your studio name rhymes with 'Umotable', animation never really affects me.

I still find Try fun. I feel a lot of complaints about it are superficial at best and will be addressed once the show continues (if they don't? So what? Its still fun and lighthearted). Also, maybe my appreciation for Try is a little skewed considering I'm rewatching G-Fighter at the same time and Try compliments G-Gundam rather well.

Kinda how banging your head against a wall enhances Destiny. Or watching paint dry compliments Wing. Or burning your paycheck really brings out the bad decisions in Victory.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Outlaw

I'm liking both just fine so far. Haven't been wowed but I haven't seen anything I'd call abysmal yet. Then again I'm pretty hard to wow or disappoint so I guess it's an unfair standard.

I think Try's biggest problem is that it's a sequel, and unless you knock it right out of the park you'll never overcome the freshness and sheer novelty that the original work has going for it. Hopefully it will start moving forward to building up and fleshing out the cast.

Reconguista is good but, there have been a couple odd moments in the dialogue that made me wonder if they were typos or mistranslations in the subs. I'm also kind of meh on the presentation. The character and mecha designs are good, but the whole show seems to have an, I dunno, soft quality to it? It's hard for me to put into words but I described it to my brother as filtering a modern anime through the flaws and limitations of old anime without gaining any of the charm.

However, for me the biggest issue so far is the pacing, or more specifically the sense of time. It gives the impression that they're awkwardly fast forwarding time or that chunks of story had to be cut out for some reason. Granted this isn't necessarily something new for Gundam, but before it was relegated to the films (CCA, F91, 00A).

Thankfully, I think both shows still have enough time in their respective runs to pull it together.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
gunform1010

TRY, because it's more straight forward and I love hand-to-hand combat as a general rule. Reco... needs a little more fleshing out with the politics, I think.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
HalfDemonInuyasha

I believe that one of the big reasons I see RiG bashed so much by people is because they're younger/newer Gundam fans who probably only started watching when Gundam Wing hit Toonami and most likely have seen few if any of the Universal Century series' (of which RiG is a sequel to), and are more spoiled by things happening a lot faster.

Those of us who enjoy the Universal Century series' (the main series' anyway, as the OVAs, being shorter, tend to get into things faster) know that the real meat of the series' usually doesn't start happening until the middle whereas the beginning can seem quite slow, with a "battle of the day" type scenario, and given the way things are starting to pick up, with some obvious forms of conspiracy, hypocrisy, etc. brewing behind the scenes, RiG is following that same formula.

GFBT is definitely still a fun series, but as mentioned, it does seem to lack a lot of the character, depth and feeling the first one had aside from that. So far, only Izuna Shimon has really provided any sort of personal conflict with the main characters, but that seemed to be resolved quite easily compared to how it probably would've been done in the first series and while the first series made a deeper character out of almost every opponent/rival Sei and Reiji came up against, GBFT doesn't really do much with them.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AmuroNT1

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:I believe that one of the big reasons I see RiG bashed so much by people is because they're younger/newer Gundam fans who probably only started watching when Gundam Wing hit Toonami and most likely have seen few if any of the Universal Century series' (of which RiG is a sequel to), and are more spoiled by things happening a lot faster.
Isn't that a bit of an unfair generalization? And also unrealistic - I mean, you're assuming that there are people out there who only watched Wing, then nothing for the next fourteen years, then just randomly decided to pick up G-Reco, but still considered themselves Gundam fans that whole time.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
darkhunger

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:I believe that one of the big reasons I see RiG bashed so much by people is because they're younger/newer Gundam fans who probably only started watching when Gundam Wing hit Toonami and most likely have seen few if any of the Universal Century series' (of which RiG is a sequel to), and are more spoiled by things happening a lot faster.
Wow you must be an old dude, considering one can hardly call Gundam Wing fans young or new this day and age... Most of them must be in their late 20s/early 30s now.

Maybe you meant to say Seed/00/AGE?
latenlazy

darkhunger wrote:
Wow you must be an old dude, considering one can hardly call Gundam Wing fans young or new this day and age... Most of them must be in their late 20s/early 30s now.

Might be Mark's generation of Gundam fan :P

I was introduced to Gundam through Wing, but the show has not aged well for me, and I appreciate the more meticulous narrative building that used to be more common in older Animes.
BrentD15

darkhunger wrote:

I remember hearing that someone got into Gundam Wing when they were five years old when it aired. :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25