anime movies with mechs vs monsters/ alien monsters

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
tiamat999

anime movies with mechs vs monsters/ alien monsters

I love mechs vs monsters theres sone anime series like that but what about anime movies
Strike105

Re: anime movies with mechs vs monsters/ alien monsters

Are you saying you're looking for movies with the concept, or do you just want to hear our thoughts on them? Either way, you're gonna read both. 8)

Two movies immediately come to my mind:

"WXIII: Patlabor The Movie III"
This is more a suspenseful police story with just a little bit of mecha thrown in, as is the norm for Patlabor, but this one does feature a large mutant creature as the main antagonist, so it counts. It's a good flick if you're a fan of suspense, but if you're looking for a lot of mecha vs monster action, you're gonna be disappointed, since the only real fight between the Ingrams and the creature is at the end. However, the story itself is pretty self contained, so you don't need to watch the other two movies or any of the OVAs or the TV series to catch up.

"Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer"
The only piece of the Gundam franchise that deals with aliens, and... I really don't know what to say about it that hasn't already been said. I only saw it once right after it was released, and I only remember a few bits and pieces. It is the conclusion to the Gundam 00 story, so you'll need to see the full 50-episode TV series to catch up on some things, as well as familiarize yourself with the characters, because there's not a whole lot of character development going on now outside of the continuing one-sided asspull romance subplot between two characters that barely interacted with each other before. The aliens, called the ELS, are basically enormous swarms of metallic shape shifters that assimilate anything they come in contact with, be it organic or not, which effectively means that they're the first Gundam enemy that could actually destroy the Earth, which of course raises the urgency to defeat them. Their numbers and abilities make for intense, if drawn out battle sequences. However, their inclusion is just one of many things that divides the Gundam fan community, since for 30 years, Gundam was always about a story of clashing human ideals within a glorified robot toy commercial up to this point, and anything new or gimmicky (except for Build Fighters, it seems) just throws a wrench into the formula and causes a massive fan uproar. If you don't care about all that though, then I say give it a watch. I actually thought it was fairly entertaining