Newtypes...Theory or Fact?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: Newtypes...Theory or Fact?

Darkerangel wrote:In regards to SEED Mode/SEED factor, I thought Cagalli (however you spell her name) hinted and or solidified everyone either has it or can produce it.
I wouldn't say everyone can have/produce it. I think the only thing that can be said for sure based on Cagalli is that, at the very least, it doesn't depend on whether one is a Natural or a Coordinator.
Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:The thing is there are really two different definitions of "newtypes" here. One is the one from Deikun's theory -- people who will bring about the end of conflict through perfect communication after humanity has moved into space. The other is what we see in the series itself -- people with the ability to communicate perfectly with each other (among other neat tricks that make them excellent killing machines).
To me it sounds like Setsuna would be what Deikun's theory is aimed at. As much power a Newtype can generate, they seem to be only able to communicate/connect with one specific person. Innovators, as Setsuna seems to be able to "connect" with more than one person. Having the presence of "perfect communication" to the point of understanding an alien life-form seemed more aligned.
toysdream wrote:I think there's definitely a connection between the idea of Newtypes and Innovators. In the UC series, Newtypes are often described as "a reformation of humanity" (人類の革新). The Japanese term 革新, which fans often mistranslate as "revolution," literally means "reform" or "innovation." So somebody who helps brings this about would be an "innovator" (革新者).

Incidentally, 革新者 can also be translated as "pioneer" or "trailblazer," as in the title of the Gundam 00 movie. So conceptually, these are all pretty much the same thing in Japanese.

-- Mark
Ooh, that's a nice connection.

Although, I'm not sure the 00 movie was a great way of proving the point, as I believe it was more a case of a misunderstanding between 2 alien species. And I don't remember what part communication/Innovator played in the series itself, but Celestial Beings did kind of start the recent conflict.

Still, it definitely seems one of the closest portrayal.