Knights of Sidonia

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeether

Knights of Sidonia

Surprised there's no thread on this. I got a Netflix trial just to watch it and the animation's pretty good even with the CGI characters and the dub's pretty fantastic too. Hopefully it makes it to disc as well.

I'm only 2 episodes in but the plot is quite interesting and I like how one of the Sidonia residents is a bear with a robotic hand. :lol:
Raikoh

Re: Knights of Sidonia

I watched Sidonia in its original run and it's... Okay. It suffers the usual problems of trying to make an adaptation while having limited time in that I got the impression the original work was a lot better, with more elbow room to pace things out and stuff.

The CG is pretty bad in my opinion, most notably how dirty all the pilot suits look, and how the characters' movements are really stiff. But I might just be biased since I'm a purist when it comes to my anime. I'll say that the robot CG is pretty consistently cool.

Like I said, it's okay. Far from the worst I've seen, but when it came to the Spring season, I favored stuff like The Fool.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
HellCat

The animation from what I've seen really dissapoints me because it's coming from the same studio that did Transformers: Prime, a show that had really good character animation. I appreciate as a production Sidonia might not be matching that for budget, but it looks a decade behind in terms of CG animation.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Ryujin

Raikoh wrote:The CG is pretty bad in my opinion, most notably how dirty all the pilot suits look,
The suits are all supposed to look worn & dirty. It's even mentioned in one of the manga omake's.

As for CGI, I didn't mind it in Arpeggio, and I didn't mind it in Sidonia. Story trumps technical issues for both.
Raikoh

Ryujin wrote:
Raikoh wrote:The CG is pretty bad in my opinion, most notably how dirty all the pilot suits look,
The suits are all supposed to look worn & dirty. It's even mentioned in one of the manga omake's.
I understand why they'd go for something like that, but it just looks unappealing to look at. It looks like they spilled ink on the suits in random locations. I've seen images from the manga, and it looks... Well, not like it does in the show. If the suit is a little scuffed, maybe a little stained or scorched or something that's fine. But the way they look in the show it just makes me wonder, "Why haven't they cleaned those yet? Did they run through a rainstorm of petroleum or something?"

I know it's going into a lot of detail for a minor pet peeve.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
battletech

I watched the first five episodes. It was pretty good story I think and like Ryujin story trumps everything for me. If you have a great story I wouldn't care if you used stick figures. I think I pretty much know all the mysteries the story has but I'm enjoying the journey to get to the reveals.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Destiny_Gundam

Raikoh wrote:I understand why they'd go for something like that, but it just looks unappealing to look at. It looks like they spilled ink on the suits in random locations. I've seen images from the manga, and it looks... Well, not like it does in the show. If the suit is a little scuffed, maybe a little stained or scorched or something that's fine. But the way they look in the show it just makes me wonder, "Why haven't they cleaned those yet? Did they run through a rainstorm of petroleum or something?"

I know it's going into a lot of detail for a minor pet peeve.
When you live in deep space with limited resources, you re-use everything. Everything looks dirty because it's been in use for centuries. I appreciate those kinds of detail. Even if they do wash them, some stains just won't come out. Probably a better idea to conserve that water.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Toxicity

I gave the episodes on netflix a watch, I thought it was pretty good. The visuals were pretty different than anything I've seen in a while, but I liked the look.