Gundam series leaving Daisuki on 4th July

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Gundam series leaving Daisuki on 4th July

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=315767171915386

Sunrise, maybe if you provided a consistent online archive of Gundam animations they'd become more successful internationally and you could in turn make profit from this.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
zetatype

Re: Gundam series leaving Daisuki on 4th July

Damn it all to hell and just when I thinking of finally watching ZZ Gundam.
battletech

I so agree. I have no idea what they are thinking. I'm sitting here trying to tell people about Gundam and where to watch. Then what do they do? They take it down. Some people take a while before they start watching something. People love to procrastinate. They need to have shows streaming a lot longer then they do. How is a fan base to grow if people have no where to watch? It's just asinine. I just hope other old series are on the way like X or Turn A.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
AmuroNT1

Now I'm just glad I went ahead and watched ZZ when it was being put up.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Chris
Administrator

battletech wrote:I so agree. I have no idea what they are thinking. I'm sitting here trying to tell people about Gundam and where to watch. Then what do they do? They take it down. Some people take a while before they start watching something. People love to procrastinate. They need to have shows streaming a lot longer then they do. How is a fan base to grow if people have no where to watch? It's just asinine. I just hope other old series are on the way like X or Turn A.
In all fairness though, if people wanted to watch the shows on Daisuki, they had a full year to do so. Nothing that streams legally lasts forever, so I don't have much sympathy for people who complain about it. It's very likely that Daisuki had a time limit on how long they could stream these shows, so we don't know yet where/if Sunrise might put up these shows again.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

I think at this stage, given the age of most of the Gundam shows, there's little to lose from keeping them online. Shows like ZZ are very doubtful to get a DVD release or foreign TV run, so it would seem logical to put them up on a decently encrypted streaming site that either uses ads/merchandise sales to make money or offers episodes for free in batches for a limited time and then charges you to watch episodes in the backlog.

I appreciate Gundam is Sunrise's golden goose but as was mentioned, sometimes people can't get to shows straight away. Having everything (or near everything, allowing for certain popular series most at risk of pirating) would give Gundam a consistent and easy to access pressence in most of the world. That translates into these shows getting to more people and a larger chance of creating new fans/said fans buying merchandise.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
battletech

Diasuki shareholders are Sunrise Inc. and other companies. Doesn't that mean these companies own Diasuki. So why would they place time limits on themselves? I would understand things like that if Daisuki was an independent company that just made a deal to stream shows from the owner of them. I remember when Daisuki was announced. They were talking about how the owners of the shows had there own place to stream anime to the world. http://daisuki.net/en/ http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... -launched/
I don't know. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance on how the streaming business works. I just hope other Gundam series are on there way to replace the ones they are stopping.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
toysdream

Shows go on and off Netflix and other streaming services all the time, and those you actually have to pay for. Seems like standard practice for streaming videos businesses.

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

battletech wrote:Diasuki shareholders are Sunrise Inc. and other companies. Doesn't that mean these companies own Diasuki. So why would they place time limits on themselves? I would understand things like that if Daisuki was an independent company that just made a deal to stream shows from the owner of them. I remember when Daisuki was announced. They were talking about how the owners of the shows had there own place to stream anime to the world. http://daisuki.net/en/ http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... -launched/
I don't know. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance on how the streaming business works. I just hope other Gundam series are on there way to replace the ones they are stopping.
Just because anime companies are shareholders in Daisuki, it doesn't mean they get to show everything forever. Hulu is owned by multiple networks/studios, and they frequently place restrictions on their shows or take them down. That's just the way it is.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
zetatype

Honestly, I'm much more upset with the 2 days notice than I am with the fact that its getting taken down. I really wish they (Sunrise and Daisuki) gave us more of a heads up.

When ANN was streaming MSG and Zeta Gundam a coupled years ago the date which they would be taken off was given when they first started streaming so at least you knew how long you had to finish them.

Now granted its possible neither Sunrise nor Daisuki had any concrete end date for ZZ Gundam, but just a few days notice feels like a dick move especially if you are half way into the series.
Outlaw

I'm not too upset or worried about it, at the very least they could just put them up on Youtube like they did Buildfighters, 00, SEED, Destiny, and SD Sangokuden. Though I will admit to being curious as to why? Did they just run their course or was their an ulterior reason?
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
tHeWasTeDYouTh

noooo I was watching z gundam on youtube

damn man wtf I had the weekend off and was gonna have a marathon
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!