The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SuperChar Trek

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

Hey guys, I don't know if bumping older threads is bad taste or not. But I have a question that I can't answer using the forum's search.

In the OVA [or other source material], is it ever specified when Neo Zeong's construction begins? Or perhaps implied at a given point in the story?
HalfDemonInuyasha

SuperChar Trek wrote:Hey guys, I don't know if bumping older threads is bad taste or not. But I have a question that I can't answer using the forum's search.

In the OVA [or other source material], is it ever specified when Neo Zeong's construction begins? Or perhaps implied at a given point in the story?
I don't recall anything like that ever being said. All I recall is the Neo Zeong just appearing out of nowhere.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Kratos

I read some rumour that it was built by Anaheim to counter the Unicorn. I can't cite any sources, it's probably total bunk, and it creates more issues than it solves, but that was an explanation I saw given.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
SuperChar Trek

Given Anaheim's history with Nu Gundam/Sazabi, that would make sense but also doesn't. Anaheim is chaired by Martha's husband. Why assist a Neo Zeon trying to dissolve the Federation/Vist relation, especially after their leader jacks your Sinanju Stein?

Some of the interview material i've read from the staff mention FF's intent for the Neo Zeong:
Spoiler
It wasn't to fight, it was to break Banagher's will using artificial psycoframe resonance.
To me, that means FF had input from the very beginning and most likely contrains Neo Zeong's construction to when FF learns of Banagher. Could it be after FF and Banagher's first meeting on Palau? Particularly after FF's remark: "You have a lot to learn yet. I want you to understand us. And it is my hope, that given enough time, we will one day work together"?

If that's the case, and given Mark's Gundam UC Timeline in progress timeline, that would place the planning and construction of the Neo Zeong between 0096.04.10 and 0096.04.12 with the climax of Unicorn taking place on 0096.05.10. That's roughly one month for such a massive unit.

Did I go wrong anywhere? Is that a reasonable timeline?
Kratos

The "how" of the matter still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but clearly the Sleeves have some manufacturing abilities if they can put out the 'Zulus and if we accept that they can build the Shamblo, then I guess it's not a HUGE stretch to say they could have made the Neo Zeong.
toysdream

The Geara Zulu was produced by Anaheim, and the Shamblo by Zeon remnants on Earth. Up until the Neo Zeong, there's no evidence that the Sleeves have the capacity to build anything on their own.

According to Entertainment Bible 3 and other older Char's Counterattack sources, the main reason why Char's Neo Zeon had to outsource the development of the Jagd Doga and Sazabi to Anaheim was because all of their technical resources were consumed by the Alpha Azieru. This suggests that the "NZ" prefix is reserved for things created by the Neo Zeon themselves.

Indeed, the HG-UC kit manual says that the Neo Zeong was designed and developed by the Sleeves for Full Frontal's personal use. Apparently the idea was to use the Sinanju as the basis for a huge "hull unit" that would make the maximum possible use of its psycho-frame capabilities. The kit manual mentions the theory that some of its technologies (specifically the psycho-shard generators) were provided or produced by Anaheim as "a counterpower to eliminate obstacles to the execution of the UC Project," but it does seem like it was mainly a Sleeves project. If the point was to maximize the power of Frontal and his Sinanju, then I suppose they could have been working on it ever since he stole the Sinanju two years earlier.

-- Mark
SuperChar Trek

toysdream wrote:The Geara Zulu was produced by Anaheim, and the Shamblo by Zeon remnants on Earth. Up until the Neo Zeong, there's no evidence that the Sleeves have the capacity to build anything on their own.
Are you sure? In their OVA conversation, Kirks thanks FF for presumably providing them with Zee Zulus: "And you ours, sir. The Zee Zulus proved to be formidable assets".

The following is also interesting. The suits piloted by the Earth remnants like Kirks' Zaku I don't appear to possess the sleeve design. Oddly, Loni's Shamblo does. Could that mean the Shamblo was constructed by the Sleeves?
toysdream

SuperChar Trek wrote:Are you sure? In their OVA conversation, Kirks thanks FF for presumably providing them with Zee Zulus: "And you ours, sir. The Zee Zulus proved to be formidable assets".
Uh, yeah. The Zee Zulus that Frontal got from Anaheim.

As for the Shamblo, the Japanese publications say that the Sleeves provided technological support to the Zeon remnants who built it - in particular, they supplied the psycho-frame material used to complete the Shamblo. Presumably that's why they got to put their "branding" on it.

-- Mark
SuperChar Trek

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I'm still learning about the Gundam universe. :mrgreen:
toysdream wrote:As for the Shamblo, the Japanese publications say that the Sleeves provided technological support to the Zeon remnants who built it - in particular, they supplied the psycho-frame material used to complete the Shamblo. Presumably that's why they got to put their "branding" on it.

-- Mark
That might also explain why Shamblo's sleeve design in the OVA is gray rather than gold.

Welp, that does it. I can't think of any more questions to ask! Someone should inform Erisie to update his index because I tried searching everywhere for information like this about the Neo Zeong.
balofo

BD is following the novels with the Tristars VS Frontal/Angelo battle for the Garancieres!

http://www.taghobby.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0x1280.jpg

L1 Junction arc will be done, manga confirmed as the definite version of the story.

*I'm worried about how they're gonna do the final battle, Alberto is confirmed to stay on Earth...
BrentD15

balofo wrote:manga confirmed as the definite version of the story.
Ummm....sorry to burst your bubble there, Balofo, but only animated is considered official by Sunrise.
The manga would go into the Black category for non-animated and contradicting the animated depiction. :?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Kratos

I get having a manga adaptation as one's PERSONAL definitive version, though, even if the stuff that sets it apart from the official animated one won't be drawn on for related works in the franchise. And with Unicorn, it feels like a pretty slim chance that anything will follow it up directly in animation, so that kind of head canon would be plenty safe.
balofo

Kratos wrote:I get having a manga adaptation as one's PERSONAL definitive version, though, even if the stuff that sets it apart from the official animated one won't be drawn on for related works in the franchise. And with Unicorn, it feels like a pretty slim chance that anything will follow it up directly in animation, so that kind of head canon would be plenty safe.
Exactly, right now for me it's: BD>novel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OVA.

We're at least getting the Tristars defending the RX-0 scene from the Rozen Zulu. That already makes the manga superior to OVA 7

I really wish they'd keep the Sinanju VS RX-0 and then Marida half melting the Sinanju before reaching the Snail. Even if the Sinanju is badly damaged it could always dock with the Neo Zeong and finally give us the 2 RX-0s VS Frontal fight we all want to see without understanding BS.

In the novel Banagher realizes Frontal is empty and has no salvation and proceeds to Sword of Rage beam saber him until he fries.
Deacon Blues

You know, I just got to thinking about the "full circle" of things that Unicorn makes a reference to. When Amuro dropped out of sight after the One Year War, he was assigned to maintain an obsolete air defense command base in Cheyenne. I'm wondering if this is the same "obsolete" base we see in the last episode of the series (as well as the one in the novels).
toysdream

Probably. Unicorn has a lot of recycling of old locations; we go back to Torrington again, they moved the Federation capital back to Dakar, Gryps 2 returns, etc etc. Really the only new locations are Industrial 7, Palau, and the L1 Junction, and the last one of those was cut from the anime.

-- Mark
latenlazy

Deacon Blues wrote:You know, I just got to thinking about the "full circle" of things that Unicorn makes a reference to. When Amuro dropped out of sight after the One Year War, he was assigned to maintain an obsolete air defense command base in Cheyenne. I'm wondering if this is the same "obsolete" base we see in the last episode of the series (as well as the one in the novels).
I just assumed that was the case.
balofo

Apparently we're getting a short sequel novel with the PG Unicorn, making the 3rd form canon. The promo talked about 6 months after OVA 7 the Feds still are looking for Magellanica, Mineba and RX-0...

The milking, it never ends
BrentD15

balofo wrote:Apparently we're getting a short sequel novel with the PG Unicorn, making the 3rd form canon. The promo talked about 6 months after OVA 7 the Feds still are looking for Magellanica, Mineba and RX-0...

Maybe it'll be like the ending to 0083. :wink:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
BrentD15

BrentD15 wrote:
balofo wrote:Apparently we're getting a short sequel novel with the PG Unicorn, making the 3rd form canon. The promo talked about 6 months after OVA 7 the Feds still are looking for Magellanica, Mineba and RX-0...

Maybe it'll be like the ending to 0083. :wink:
I meant 08th MS Team! :oops:
Blazer-X

Here's hoping that the third form actually brings something new to the table and not just a "half activated gundam mode".