The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

i for one and hoping for a better take on the love triangle. just like what DYRL did.
i'm still on Mirage's side. :D

speaking of that, maybe we can get Max and Millia like what they did to Isamu in the M Frontier movie.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:52 am Well, looks like this thread will have to go active again as a Macross Delta movie has been announced. As is pretty typical with these kinds of announcements, we haven't yet been told what exactly this movie is; it could be a direct sequel, maybe a compilation movie, maybe a short film like The Galaxy Is Calling Me. We'll have to wait and see...
As bad as the writing was in Macross Delta proper, my hopes for this movie are not high.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Dark Duel

My level of interest in this is approximately equal to my expectations for it in terms of the quality of the product - which is to say, much like Kaiba, not high.
I'll probably check it out just to see, but unless they go the Frontier route and go for a totally different ending, I doubt given the lackluster way the series concluded IMO that this will be very good.
The best I suppose can be said is that it might net us a couple of new Walküre songs - the songs at least in Delta were all IMO pretty great, so there's that.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

I really enjoyed the 1st half, and IIRC it was supposed to end there, and have a movie wrap things up, but look how things went... hopefully this movie(s) will have a different ending. Maybe be like the 2nd Frontier movie and keep Messer alive.
pirx

... Delta movie was mentioned previously. My apologies for posting the same information. :oops:
False Prophet

How good were Max and Milia as pilots? One thing a newcomer like me sometimes heard older fans said that Mirage was not as half as good as her great-grandparents.
Dark Duel

IIRC, in his very first sortie, Max vastly outflew the veteran Hikaru in the original series, despite the latter's experience. And he only got better after that.
So they were VERY good.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 am How good were Max and Milia as pilots? One thing a newcomer like me sometimes heard older fans said that Mirage was not as half as good as her great-grandparents.
He's a genius... the Jenius family are kind of the gold standard for aces in Macross.

They were/are THE BEST, and so are several of their kids (e.g. Mylene, Therese).
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

So, the accusation must have been right. In the beginning I have expected Delta to make Mirage a great pilot, but she ended up being so-so.

Anyway, I kinda like the music, but has there been anytime Macross experimented with different genres of musics other than bubblegum pop and rock? Metal? Punk? Gothic Rock? Eurobeat?

Songs in anime shows are normally monotous, so I am looking forward to something different.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 am So, the accusation must have been right. In the beginning I have expected Delta to make Mirage a great pilot, but she ended up being so-so.
Yeah, Mirage is definitely not up to snuff with the rest of the Jenius family line.

False Prophet wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 am Anyway, I kinda like the music, but has there been anytime Macross experimented with different genres of musics other than bubblegum pop and rock? Metal? Punk? Gothic Rock? Eurobeat?

Songs in anime shows are normally monotous, so I am looking forward to something different.
So far, no. It's been mostly jpop, with the only major divergence being Macross 7 going to rock instead unless you want to count Macross II's Mardook and Macross Delta's Windermereans having a thing for one-woman wail school of a capella opera.

Macross II's OST had some unused tracks that verged into early 90's techno-ish sort of stuff and some tracks that got used for Macross 7 that were kind of a jazz-y pop.
The Macross Mecha Manual
krullnar

What about macross plus that was basically yoko kanno getting to make an experimental music album. Sure there was some j-pop but damn that music got weird. Also Voices may be one of my favorite pieces of music ever love that song. :lol:
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Seto Kaiba

krullnar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 am What about macross plus that was basically yoko kanno getting to make an experimental music album. Sure there was some j-pop but damn that music got weird. Also Voices may be one of my favorite pieces of music ever love that song. :lol:
Eh... Macross Plus is just shy of being a Macross series in name only.

It wasn't actually developed to be a Macross story, it was a stand-alone story he was doing in partnership with Bandai in ~85. Bandai pulled out, and the project evolved further into the prototype for Vision of Escaflowne except with transforming fighters instead of magitek mecha. That project split in half, with one part undergoing a genre shift and turning the factions and plot into the fantasy series Vision of Escaflowne, while some the new fighters were modified into more modern designs and became the mecha of Macross 7. The plot that Bandai had bailed on was simply re-pitched largely unaltered as a proposed Macross story in order to get funding for production and became Macross Plus.
The Macross Mecha Manual
krullnar

whilst that may be true I was mostly commenting on the music which is very different then your average macross. Which reminds me Zero also has very different music.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
pirx

Macross Delta FB page shared this tweet:
https://twitter.com/macrossD/status/914354311873806336
Exciting news! Macross Delta movie launch event will be held next Monday October 9, 2017!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, it finally happened. On October 9, the Delta movie was officially announced in Tokyo, which also included a mini-concert by the members of Walkure. The next full Walkure concert was also announced for February at Yokohama Arena with a Key Visual

From what little I can glean from those who were there (no one's done a FULL write-up yet) it's going to be a False Songstress-type retelling.

Kawamori was also dancing on stage with Minori Suzuki. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
pirx

So, it is official now, meaning - they will begin working on it?
Talk about hen clucking long before she laid an egg...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ts/.122474
At a Macross Delta film announcement event on Monday, Macross franchise creator Shoji Kawamori unveiled the title and opening date of the film project. Gekijō-ban Macross Delta: Gekijō no Walkūre (Macross Delta the Movie: Passionate Walkure) will open on February 9, 2018. (The terms for "theater" and "passion" are homonyms in Japanese — "gekijō.") The film will recompile scenes from the television anime with new scenes to tell a different story, to maximize the storytelling potential of the shorter runtime but larger medium. It will have at least one new song and enhanced battle sequences.
yazi88

It sounds like the 1st Macross Frontier False Songstress movie which took scenes from the show but was a different story for a good amount.
Arbiter GUNDAM

pirx wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:22 am So, it is official now, meaning - they will begin working on it?
Talk about hen clucking long before she laid an egg...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ts/.122474
At a Macross Delta film announcement event on Monday, Macross franchise creator Shoji Kawamori unveiled the title and opening date of the film project. Gekijō-ban Macross Delta: Gekijō no Walkūre (Macross Delta the Movie: Passionate Walkure) will open on February 9, 2018. (The terms for "theater" and "passion" are homonyms in Japanese — "gekijō.") The film will recompile scenes from the television anime with new scenes to tell a different story, to maximize the storytelling potential of the shorter runtime but larger medium. It will have at least one new song and enhanced battle sequences.
I'd wager they were working on it before the announcement since they specified a release date in february.

Also, I wonder if we should make another Delta thread after this one or move to an official movie thread?

Also, pics from Kiyono 'Kaname' Yasuno's first solo live: http://voice-media.net/?p=14797
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am I'd wager they were working on it before the announcement since they specified a release date in february.
A very safe bet. Odds are they were working on it before the final episode of the series even aired.

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am Also, I wonder if we should make another Delta thread after this one or move to an official movie thread?
We already know it's going to be the same story, more or less... hardly seems worth it. I'd say save a new thread for the next series which is allegedly forthcoming for the 35th Anniversary.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Speaking about new series - is there any info about it out there that is fresh? I only found mentions almost year old from january 2017.