The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk I

Evex wrote:This might be my lack of sleep wrighting, but I just had a line of thought I found interesting. Ms. Monday, can't, think of her first name, was seen piloting the G-self in episode 1. With the recent information from episode 4 I can think of where Ms.Monday comes from. The two places that come to mind are the colony on the dark side of the moon, and venus. Given some thought these two places are not effected by these "taboos" that have been mentioned, and most likely deal with technology and weapons. The way monday acts also might be a side effect of some sort of cold sleep, or just a side effect of her jumping out of the G-self in a squirrel suit at an altitude where the air is thing. Its possible Ms.Monday stole the G-self and was trying to warn the people on earth about an approaching threat, either that or she is some sort of advance scout.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Venus or the Dark Side of the Moon. I would put my money on the Dark Side of the Moon though (Just because it's closer) . My guess is that a separate civilization that's purely based on space persisted after RC, and they were conveniently forgotten/knowledge of their existence was suppressed.
Amion wrote: About the animation: it's a mixed bag for me. I would be dishonest to say I'm not tiffed here and there. I don't really mind Tomino's style, but really small stuff like the way that beam javalin thing created its shield as apposed to last week was a bit irritating to me. The animation then was fluid but the artwork lacked any skill. Contrast it to now, where it's replaced with a full beam shield like it's supposed to be. That, or the G Self upgrades weapons simply because of its Photon magic.
I'm giving those technical inconsistencies a pass here. The G-Self's technology is probably so advanced, and the mobile suit itself is so mysterious, that we should expect some surprises in terms of what it can do. I think to a lesser extent this is also true of the Montero (LOVE the Montero btw).
Last edited by latenlazy on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

I'm giving those technical inconsistencies a pass here. The G-Self's technology is probably so advanced, and the mobile suit itself is so mysterious, that we should expect some surprises in terms of what it can do. I think to a lesser extent this is also true of the Montero (LOVE the Montero btw).
Fair point. I'm just tiffed how it was drawn different. And because the Montero isn't the one using the twirling beam shield instead, that machine rocks. It somehow reminds me of a raptor or other prehistoric reptilian/crested beak type creature. Being a quirky animal lover like I am, that just hits the mechanical spot for me. Who cares if the pilot is a magnificent jerk? His machine says it all!

What's the going opinion of Klim right now? Is it just me, or is he somehow coming off as less and less abrasive. He's obnoxious, but has endearing qualities that make him bearable and even likable in combat. Will this change him to a more friendly individual later on? I hope so. He seems to have a good head for tactics and honor, with or without the spoiled lifestyle he's probably lived.

EDIT:
Spoiler
The captain of the Megafauna reminds me of a Zinnerman and Otto combination. Anyone else get reminded of those two when looking at him?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
battletech

Great fourth episode. A lot of major clues to the mysteries of the series were dropped in this episode. I feel sorry for those who dropped this just because they couldn't use their brains to see the plot slowly unfolding. "You want to watch it now, I'll bet", was a very relevant ending saying for this episode. I just love this slow reveling of what is going on. It's a real treat for a change to have a show that makes you think rather then being spoon feed everything.
Amion wrote:
Fair point. I'm just tiffed how it was drawn different. And because the Montero isn't the one using the twirling beam shield instead, that machine rocks. It somehow reminds me of a raptor or other prehistoric reptilian/crested beak type creature. Being a quirky animal lover like I am, that just hits the mechanical spot for me. Who cares if the pilot is a magnificent jerk? His machine says it all!

What's the going opinion of Klim right now? Is it just me, or is he somehow coming off as less and less abrasive. He's obnoxious, but has endearing qualities that make him bearable and even likable in combat. Will this change him to a more friendly individual later on? I hope so. He seems to have a good head for tactics and honor, with or without the spoiled lifestyle he's probably lived.

EDIT:
Spoiler
The captain of the Megafauna reminds me of a Zinnerman and Otto combination. Anyone else get reminded of those two when looking at him?
Spoiler
Yes he did. I also noticed a blonde dude in a pink shirt and tan short with sandals that reminded me of Howard from Wing Gundam
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Jak Crow

darkhunger wrote:
Jak Crow wrote:I am underwhelmed by quality of the animation. They're doing a half assed job on it.
Really? Tomino's storyboarding might be a bit strange and sometimes clunky, but no way is the animation "half assed" for this one.
I think not only is it clunky, ep 3's was especially sloppy, the animation has been pretty bad compared to just about every other anime that's running now, including Build Fighters. It reminds me of the Gundam series from the 90s, and while "retro" is all well and fine, I expect better animation and more consistent artwork today.

As far as the show overall, I don't care about any of the characters so far, the white hair girl and the cheerleader are more than annoying, and they still haven't shown us what the point is.
Last edited by Jak Crow on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
latenlazy

Amion wrote: Fair point. I'm just tiffed how it was drawn different. And because the Montero isn't the one using the twirling beam shield instead, that machine rocks. It somehow reminds me of a raptor or other prehistoric reptilian/crested beak type creature. Being a quirky animal lover like I am, that just hits the mechanical spot for me. Who cares if the pilot is a magnificent jerk? His machine says it all!

I suspect Klim Nick will become one of my favourite characters (I hope Tomino spares him...). Yes, he is a supremely magnificent bastard, but he also seemed to be a very competent and aware bastard. The man revels in self aggrandizement, but clearly not at the expense of acknowledging his surroundings and other people. For example, in episode 3, when Dellesen begins to own him with a Catsith he's shocked, but also gives his commends to that fact.
Raikoh

I can't see much room to complain when it comes to the animation. It might not be as fluid as other anime, but the attention to detail is staggeringly amazing. Every background is vibrant and full of personality, and even in shots where characters are all over the place they still have room to be expressive. Just look at any scene where Raraiya or Noredo is in the background and you can see that they react to the conversation. Yeah, having a few more in-betweeners wouldn't hurt, but given how consistently great the composition is, I'm willing to cut the animation some slack.

Besides, I'm the type who doesn't like things to just be blase and forgettable, and the industry's ideal of good animation is a bit oversaturated with the style that... I don't even know how to describe it, but it's the kind of stuff seen in the dozens of schoolgirl series. It's fluid, yeah, but you get people moving too fluidly and it doesn't look natural (case and point). G-Reco looks nice to me, so I'm willing to overlook some of the shortcomings of its animation (the only thing that really bugs me is that there seems to be something that looks like Flash in the shots of aerial Mobile Suits).

I'm probably more forgiving on all animation these days, since I remember seeing a big budget series released not even a year ago that looked like it was animated in ten minutes of someone's lunch break and I'm willing to go easy on it as long as it isn't that bad..
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
latenlazy

Raikoh wrote:I can't see much room to complain when it comes to the animation. It might not be as fluid as other anime, but the attention to detail is staggeringly amazing. Every background is vibrant and full of personality, and even in shots where characters are all over the place they still have room to be expressive. Just look at any scene where Raraiya or Noredo is in the background and you can see that they react to the conversation. Yeah, having a few more in-betweeners wouldn't hurt, but given how consistently great the composition is, I'm willing to cut the animation some slack.

Besides, I'm the type who doesn't like things to just be blase and forgettable, and the industry's ideal of good animation is a bit oversaturated with the style that... I don't even know how to describe it, but it's the kind of stuff seen in the dozens of schoolgirl series. It's fluid, yeah, but you get people moving too fluidly and it doesn't look natural (case and point). G-Reco looks nice to me, so I'm willing to overlook some of the shortcomings of its animation (the only thing that really bugs me is that there seems to be something that looks like Flash in the shots of aerial Mobile Suits).

I'm probably more forgiving on all animation these days, since I remember seeing a big budget series released not even a year ago that looked like it was animated in ten minutes of someone's lunch break and I'm willing to go easy on it as long as it isn't that bad..
I would call it over-exaggerated. I strongly believe one of the keys to good animation is dynamic range, which doesn't mean that everything looks like it's always moving, but that you make choices about when something moves and how something moves, so that not everything always looks the same. Those choices should be dictated on what you want to communicate to the audience and what both the dramatic and thematic situation calls for, and generally the more dynamic range and different choices you have for different frames, the more likely the director and animator put deeper thought and meaning into the character's motions. My criticism of the animation standards these days is that there are certain kinds of motions that are meant to convey very shallow sentiments such as "cool" and "sexy" that have become very common. Even the dramatic expressions in animation these days tend to convey the stereotype of the expression or emotion, and not a real unique set of motions that reflects the specific context of the scene and the individual nature of a character (Then again most characters in Anime these days don't deviate too far from shallow tropes and archetypes. It's rare now to have characters that have more depth to them than what you can identify with a type). The other criticism I have for most animations these days is that the colour palette is too clean and flat and lacks character. Flat isn't bad for all things, but it's one that's being overused. There's a richness of different ideas and emotions that can be expressed using different colour palettes, but most animes these days seem to relegate colours to help set up what things look like, instead of what things feel like.

To tie this back to G-Reco, this is one of the reasons I'm so glad to have another Tomino series, and why I don't have a problem with the animation. Tomino puts a lot of thought and effort into how animation is an art, not just a business, and I think it shows. Sure, there aren't as many cool poses and exaggerated choreography in mech action as you would see in a lot of other series from today, but he forgoes that to focus on more expressive and human elements of the storyboarding and art. I could maybe agree that they could use some more frames when the mobile suits are moving, but at the same time, I don't mind so much because I feel the human drama in G-Reco's actions far more than I would in many other series that focus purely on mech to mech action. I'm not simply engaged because it looks cool. The use of diverse and dynamic character expressions and the rich and deep colour palette is superb in G-Reco (they even bother to use focus points and bokeh!), and I largely approve of storyboarding choices this team has chosen to make. The cuts back and forth between the action sequences and the reactions of the characters, and the cut to close ups of what is happening at specific points of action (like Dellesen's Cathsith cutting through the Montero's hands) are all meant to convey the experiences of the characters in the story, not just the movements and actions of machines or hackneyed character interactions.

To kind of summarize my thoughts on all this a little, I think contemporary Anime has focused too much on how the animation looks, at the detriment of how the animation feels. A lot of animation choices have become detached from being a vehicle to convey a deeper sense of expression and meaning for the sake of commercial expedience. Sure the standard animation quality is sharper and more fluid now, and may look prettier, but it tells us less and it has less significance to the story (though my other criticism of anime these days is that most have hack and superficial story telling). These are problems G-Reco largely (if not completely) avoids, and for that I am grateful.
Destiny_Gundam

battletech wrote:"You want to watch it now, I'll bet", was a very relevant ending saying for this episode.
Is that so? When I saw that I was all "Eh... not really."

Honestly the only legitimate mystery so far is where the G-Self and Miss Born on a Monday come from. Everything else like the state of the word and some of the lingo is stuff everyone in-universe knows, but the audience isn't cool enough or something to be let in on.

I'd be okay with that if at least the characters made sense and were consistant, but that's not often the case. Aida can't decide if she hates Bellri for killing what's his face, or if she's totally cool with him. The pirates treat Bellri and co as prisoners one moment, then defectors the next. Bellri seems all too willing to help out but then also wants to go back. And of course there's the usual disconnect in conversations where it seems the characters are talking at each other about two different subjects at once.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
darkhunger

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
battletech wrote:"You want to watch it now, I'll bet", was a very relevant ending saying for this episode.

Honestly the only legitimate mystery so far is where the G-Self and Miss Born on a Monday come from. Everything else like the state of the word and some of the lingo is stuff everyone in-universe knows, but the audience isn't cool enough or something to be let in on.

I'd be okay with that if at least the characters made sense and were consistant, but that's not often the case. Aida can't decide if she hates Bellri for killing what's his face, or if she's totally cool with him. The pirates treat Bellri and co as prisoners one moment, then defectors the next. Bellri seems all too willing to help out but then also wants to go back. And of course there's the usual disconnect in conversations where it seems the characters are talking at each other about two different subjects at once.
Seems like you have problems with characters who are conflicted and have more subtle personality traits? That's actually what I like about Tomino characters. They don't fit the mold of modern anime characters in that everyone fits an overdone archetype that they have plastered on their forehead. That's not how real life works. Many time people do things that may not be 100% consistent with what they do in the past. People are complicated to read.

Aida not sure if she hates Bellri or is fine with him? That's quite realistic. She is angryed with Bellri for killing him yet understands he did it in self-defense and actually was protecting her from the attack as well. Pirates treating Bellri much better once he fended off the Pirates for them? I don't see what's nonsensical about that.
battletech

Destiny_Gundam wrote:

Sorry to hear that. There is the whole where did Monday and the G-self come from. There is also the mystery of who or what the threat is that is coming from space. Another one is what is that guy up to who Aida was with and what was it that he and Aida agreed to. As for the in world things. I think they will be reveled later in the series. If they're not I will not mind because I don't need to know every little aspect of their society to enjoy the series. I just love all these different ways that different people see the same thing. Life would be so boring if we all saw things the same way.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Destiny_Gundam

darkhunger wrote:Seems like you have problems with characters who are conflicted and have more subtle personality traits?
There's being subtle, but then there's being non existant. Do we see Aida struggling with how to react around Bellri? No, one minute she's chatting with him while smiling, and the next she's glaring daggers at him. She jumps from one to the other with no middle ground. There should be a scene of her almost laughing at something he said only to stop herself, or her about to yell at him but then holding her tongue.

I suppose Bellri is fine for the most part, but he kinda just doesn't really react to anything. He's got the same jolly expression on his face and just goes along with whatever. Leaving behind my friends, mother and home? Excuse me, I gotta take a dump! Held hostage by pirates? Sounds like a grand old time! Fighting my former comrades? Sure, I'm cool with that!
Calubin_175

I am surprised that they reused the vulcan sound effect from PS3 0081 avan title movie.
darkhunger

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
darkhunger wrote:Seems like you have problems with characters who are conflicted and have more subtle personality traits?
There's being subtle, but then there's being non existant. Do we see Aida struggling with how to react around Bellri? No, one minute she's chatting with him while smiling, and the next she's glaring daggers at him. She jumps from one to the other with no middle ground. There should be a scene of her almost laughing at something he said only to stop herself, or her about to yell at him but then holding her tongue.
Why??? Why wasting time with stuff like that only to show "consistency"? Just from what has been shown so far, she's obviously someone who can put up a strong front even under bad circumstances but will break down and tear up during moments of vulnerability. And it's how real people are. One minute someone can be talking happily with you and the next you two can be arguing because a touchy subject is brought up.

I just don't see how your complaints are valid, at all.
I suppose Bellri is fine for the most part, but he kinda just doesn't really react to anything. He's got the same jolly expression on his face and just goes along with whatever. Leaving behind my friends, mother and home? Excuse me, I gotta take a dump! Held hostage by pirates? Sounds like a grand old time! Fighting my former comrades? Sure, I'm cool with that!
Bellri is another one of those characters who are more than what they appear. He looks carefree, but he demonstrated several time that he knows what's going on. The way he nonchalantly deflected questions when he was being interrogated while making several very observant points about the pirates, to when he remarked to Aida that he won't ever be able to repay his doubt to her (ie killing Cahill) but will try his hardest to do so, it shows he's not as carefree as he wants to make you think he is.

And he was trying to stop his former comrades from attacking the ship (because Noredo and Raraiya are on there), he wasn't trying to fight them. He only used the beam saber as a last resort to defend himself.

I think what this is all showing is that one actually has to make an concerted effort to understand the characters in this show, like in real life when one deals with real people. People don't have their personality stamped on their foreheads like most modern anime like to make you think
Destiny_Gundam

darkhunger wrote:One minute someone can be talking happily with you and the next you two can be arguing because a touchy subject is brought up.
The thing is, no one brings up the touchy subject. They'll be talking about something completely unrelated to that dude's death, and Aida will suddenly snap at him about it.

"Hey, this cake is goo-"
"THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!!!"

You're right in that this is how real people are... Real people who have bipolar disorder, that is.

Maybe I'm not 'smart' enough to see how deep it is, but it's equally possible that it's shallow and you've simply convinced yourself that there must be a deeper meaning.

I suppose the greatest sin of all is that I simply don't care. The show has offered me little to latch onto, no one is particularly relatable, nor are they dealing with anything I might sympathise with them on (if Cahill was an actual character before he got offed I might actually feel something for Aida). It's not flawed enough to drive me away, mind you, and I don't intend to make post after post going "OMG WURST THING EVAR!" I guess the show just has the misfortune of airing alongside Build Fighters Try which blows it out of the water in almost every aspect.
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:

Oh Destiny. *Shakes head* Don't you see, you need to take that reasonability that has been your erstwhile ally and carefully, gently shove it down a deep, dark shaft with a volcanic rift at the bottom. Otherwise you're going to be confused.

And I for one do find your points on Aida to be pretty dead-on. I don't mind Bellri as much because he obviously is sheltered and spoiled. I'll give him a little more time to grow. But yes, Aida is jumping around on the love/hate spectrum. Then again, I have yet to see any recent signs of her actively being vindictive.

Meh, I'll wait and see what the fight scenes hold. If nothing else I agree with Latenlazy about the fights and he choreographs them.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mythgarr

I want more Catsiths. More. More. More!

So...G-Self is magical now? I know it's supposed to be powerful, but to have protective spell? That's..so Unicorn! (and I hate that about Unicorn).

About the characterizations: Poor Noredo. It seems Tomino doesn't know what to do about her for real, she's just getting dragged in the bacground. By Bellri, By Aida, and by Raraiya. Her interaction with Raraiya is endearing, sure, but we need an episode showing more of her down the line.

I wonder why Luin is becoming the Char, He looks like a competent person, sure, but to be handed a "Char role" without any good background is just...too sudden?

Anyway, where is my Catsith's gunpla, Bandai?
Visit The Dreams
darkhunger

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
darkhunger wrote:One minute someone can be talking happily with you and the next you two can be arguing because a touchy subject is brought up.
The thing is, no one brings up the touchy subject. They'll be talking about something completely unrelated to that dude's death, and Aida will suddenly snap at him about it.

"Hey, this cake is goo-"
"THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!!!"

You're right in that this is how real people are... Real people who have bipolar disorder, that is.
Sure, ok. :roll:

For the record, she didn't start talking to him in a friendly manner until the end of Ep 4, after Bellri mentioned that he DID care about Cahill's death and demonstrated that he wanted to make up for it. She never got beyond an unfriendly tone with him prior to that. So there's certainly a LOT more sense than what you're making it out to be.

Maybe I'm not 'smart' enough to see how deep it is, but it's equally possible that it's shallow and you've simply convinced yourself that there must be a deeper meaning.
No, I think I'm pretty sure that I paid far more attention and understand much more about the show and characters than you, judging by your posts
I suppose the greatest sin of all is that I simply don't care. The show has offered me little to latch onto, no one is particularly relatable, nor are they dealing with anything I might sympathise with them on (if Cahill was an actual character before he got offed I might actually feel something for Aida). It's not flawed enough to drive me away, mind you, and I don't intend to make post after post going "OMG WURST THING EVAR!" I guess the show just has the misfortune of airing alongside Build Fighters Try which blows it out of the water in almost every aspect.
Well, speak for yourself. I enjoy the characters quite a bit. As for comparing this to Build Fighters? That's like comparing an art film to a Saturday morning cartoon. Pointless comparison IMHO.
Last edited by darkhunger on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

Mythgarr wrote:I wonder why Luin is becoming the Char, He looks like a competent person, sure, but to be handed a "Char role" without any good background is just...too sudden?
We sure mask dude is Luin and not the instructor guy? Because they look the same and it makes more sense for the instructor to don the mask after his defeat this episode.
darkhunger wrote:That's like comparing an art film to a Saturday morning cartoon. Pointless comparison IMHO.
Well, I wouldn't go so far as calling G-Reco a Saturday morning cartoon, but...
Kyuzo Aoi

Destiny Gundam wrote: We sure mask dude is Luin and not the instructor guy? Because they look the same and it makes more sense for the instructor to don the mask after his defeat this episode.
But the ED clearly illustrates who is the masked guy we are talking about.
I am a Gundam!
Kenji

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:I wonder why Luin is becoming the Char, He looks like a competent person, sure, but to be handed a "Char role" without any good background is just...too sudden?
We sure mask dude is Luin and not the instructor guy? Because they look the same and it makes more sense for the instructor to don the mask after his defeat this episode.
Actually, what I gathered by masked!Luin in the preview is that we may be assuming too much about what that mask means because of Gundam history. It could just be a piece of equipment.

... Do we have any solid indication that the mask is like the other masks in the overarching mythos? I haven't really kept up with things in the run-up to the premiere.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."