The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Evex

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Kratos wrote:I figured an easy way to "solve" this issue would be to check the official site, and sure enough, they're drawing a distinction. The RTX-65 is labeled as the Guntank Early Model (ガンタンク初期型). So there we have it - it's the Guntank, but an early version of it. Presumably they'll do something similar for the Guncannon.
This doesn't surprise me at all. Despite origin being a well received adaptation of the Original television version of Mobile Suit: Gundam. Its still in printed form which by bandai/sunrise policy makes it an unofficial work, or put its into the grey area of semi official like Blue Destiny. This gives them a bit of wiggle room in placing the mobile suits into the official continuity when they animate these early one year portions of the origin.

In a sense its not really a retcon, since these sections were never animated which would of made the placement of the suits official. The OVAs are also an adaptation of an adaptation which is most likely meant to fill in the early blanks of what lead up to the one year war.
Zeether

Good news from NYCC: Origin will be getting the same treatment as Unicorn, with a dub courtesy of NYAV Post. https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/520991022672019456
BrentD15

Zeether wrote:Good news from NYCC: Origin will be getting the same treatment as Unicorn, with a dub courtesy of NYAV Post. https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/520991022672019456
:shock:

Hallelujah!
:D
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
nickh46

Yeh, that's kind of to be expected, considering the current state of the anime industry in the US.

While I'd think the new cast is in a great foundation for a reboot (younger kiddo characters can justify different VAs) I forwarded this to Alania Burnett (Sayla's VA) via Linkedin. While it's wishful thinking give she's in Canada, it would be really cool if she reprised her character in future episodes if an opportunity ever arose.

But it would be good to see some of the Unicorn cast reprise their younger roles in the future (Char, Bright, Kai, etc etc).

I really want to know if the Black Tri-Stars will be white trash rednecks this time around. I always LMAO whenever Gaia opened his Mouth (and Mash from the Fed vs Zeon game was even more stereotypical).
BrentD15

nickh46 wrote:I always LMAO whenever Gaia opened his Mouth (and Mash from the Fed vs Zeon game was even more stereotypical).
Kinda makes sense, since Mash didn't really get any dialogue in the original series.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Iris Scope

I am still wondering on who will take up the mantle of Sayla's seiyuu since Yo Inoue died a decade ago and this time around, no stock audio can save the situation like it did in the Zeta movies. As you can tell by that, i am far more interested in watching Origin in Japanese especially considering how i ignored the Japanese audio for Unicorn and went straight for the English dub.
BrentD15

Iris Scope wrote:I am still wondering on who will take up the mantle of Sayla's seiyuu since Yo Inoue died a decade ago and this time around, no stock audio can save the situation like it did in the Zeta movies.
I think I can say the same for voice actors like Chieko Honda.
In relation to games like Dynasty Warriors Gundam, all we have is stock audio. :(
nickh46

If you ask me, I'm thinking Gundam-san would be a good "dress rehearsal" indicator for those VAs stepping into the shoes of those who have passed on. If they did a good job there, it would be easier to transition them to The Origin.
nickh46

For your SA,

The official page at http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/ has been receiving monthly updates. I'm noticing that it's on the same day a new color chapter of The Origin is out on Comic Walker. Now that a US dub is confirmed, I'm sure there will be an official English version page out. But when translated, there was some really cool interviews and background information that's been going on.

Also got a message back from Alania B. She does alot of stuff besides doing voice work, and just got a new agent. Said it'll be fun to reprise Sayla from way back when. Cool!
Powerman293

Is anyone else excited to see the First mobile suit battle ever animated? I dunno, it just seemed like a really cool fight and I'd like to see how they'd pull it off. plus, we'd get Ramba Ral, Char and Tristar Zaku I custom HGs.

With the whole issue of the Federation mobile suits not being a thing until 0079, I'd be okay with the Zaku Is trying to kill Dr. Minvosky and them fighting the prototype Guntanks instead.
Kratos

It might be a bit of a pipe dream, but I hope they flesh out the thing with Minovsky, and everything surrounding it. Easily the weakest part of the flashback portion in the manga I'd say.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
laj12387

I have to say as excited as I am for Gundam the Origin to be animated I hate the fact that the mobile suits will all be in CG
BrentD15

laj12387 wrote:I have to say as excited as I am for Gundam the Origin to be animated I hate the fact that the mobile suits will all be in CG
Well, we'll just have to see how it goes.
nickh46

Looks like we got a confirmed date, Feb 28 next year.

New information uploaded on the official website.
Deacon Blues

I did the cast list for those interested:

Casval Rem Deikun: Mayumi Tanaka
Artesia Som Deikun: Megumi Han
Degin Sodo Zabi: Jin Urayama
Gihren Zabi: Banjo Ginga
Sasro Zabi: Shinshuu Fuji
Dozle Zabi: Kenta Miyake
Kycillia Zabi: Akeno Watanabe
Zeon Zum Deikun: Eizou Tsuda
Astreia Tor Deikun: Ayumi Tsunematsu
Ramba Ral: Shigeo Kiyama
Crowley Hamon: Miyuki Sawashiro
Jimba Ral: Chafurin

Char Aznable: Shuuichi Ikeda
Narration: Akio Otsuka
Calubin_175

Surprised that Koyama Mami did not reprise her role as Kycillia while Ikeda is still Char.

Ginga Banjo is back. I hope he will last long enough to give the speech again.
nickh46

So original Lalah's VA daughter is playing Sayla, and is also Lalah in Gundam-san. So my hypothesis about Gundam-san being a "test rehearsal" for prospective VAs was kinda true.

And was kinda hoping Ramba Ral's original VA would reprise his role (just like in Build Fighters), but a younger 25-year old Ral does make sense for a younger VA.

And still . . . mind blown about little Casval's VA being a 59 year old chick. They might have well stuck to Ikeda!
Erisie

Link to the preview. Bandai Channel is blocked. Japanese IPs only.

The official page includes mechanical profiles for Zaku II High Mobility Type (the Tri-Star's units during Loum), Valkyrie (Dozle's personal Musai-class), Magellan-class, Ananke (you know this one already, and Saberfish. In the 0068 page, the Type 61 MBT now resembles the streamlined igloo version.

The February 28 date is for the theatrical release. Dunno when we'll see a BD-Rip.
Kyuzo Aoi

Judging by the cast, I am not surprised they kept Shuichi Ikeda and Banjo Ginga around. The net will explode if they tried to do that. I hope this is the same case for Amuro. Young Char's seiyuu is the same as Luffy in One Piece.

I have no problems with Kycilia's VA being replaced to make her sound younger. As for the others, given the situation, it's understandable. Now we're treated to having Sayla, ehem, Artesia being voiced by the daughter of Lalah Sune's seiyuu. I am sure that Keiko Han probably helped her daughter on the way.
I am a Gundam!
Kratos

Young Casval sounded pretty good in that video, I thought. Age appropriate but willful and strong. I imagine the scenes with older Char will be used as an intro, since this won't have the benefit of Sayla's post-Jaburo musings to serve as a lead-in.

The animation was as devoid of the manga's grit as I figured, but looked nice; the CGI, though obvious, was smooth and the action was fast, and I feel like it'll look worse in stills than it does in movement. I wonder if this'll be easier to see in theatres than Unicorn was...THE ORIGIN's flashback is a part of Gundam that my girlfriend really enjoyed, and it'd be nice to see it on the big screen together.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"